“Feeling at home in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip of Amsterdam B&B

Save Saved
You added Tulip of Amsterdam B&B to your Saves list
Tulip of Amsterdam B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Kloveniersburgwal 9 HS, 1011 JT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #14 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“Feeling at home in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent three nights at Tulip and would not hesitate to return. The location was fantastic for us. We love to walk a lot, and Tulip's location made it possible to walk all over the main sections of the city easily during our stay. Both Chris and David were incredibly helpful and informative whenever we bombarded them with questions about thngs to do and see. If they didn't know, they took the time to find out for us. They were excellent, friendly hosts. We really liked the do-it-yourself breakfasts they provided each morning. Everything we could possibly need for a HUGE breakfast was available, and I loved being able to make an omelet for my wife while she sipped her coffee. It is fair to mention the very narrow (and typical Amsterdam) stairway leading to the rooms. I didn't mind it a bit (it just added to the charm of the place), but some may find it a bit precarious. (Plus, they offered to take our luggage up for us if we were uncomfortable with it.) If and when we return to Amsterdam, Tulip of Amsterdam will be our home away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Thanks for the great place to stay last weekend. We usually stay in hotels but this time decided to see the way Dutch people live. It was great insight.

Plce is easy to find and close to central station, Dam and Red Light District.

We loved 'make your own breakfast' approach.

We will be back!

Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well what can i say.Great location'breakfast & outstanding hosts.We stayed three nights at Tulip
it was hard to fault anything.David & Cris could not be more helpfull any requests were met including advice on places to eat or drink & how to get to any sights we wanted to see.

Room Tip: Be aware that underground station nearby is closed for renovations so is not an option. However it i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you want to experience Amsterdam and Holland as a part of understanding the Dutch and Dutch history then Tulip of Amsterdam is THE place to stay. Chris and David are superb hosts, as is their cat Lotjie. The converted row house along a canal in the old town is typically Dutch updated with modern amenities and wonderful rooms at the end of a typically narrow spiral staircase. A full breakfast spread, self-serve, complements the stay. We spent 3 nights in advance of a Baltic cruise and I was right at home at the Tulip having lived in Amsterdam as a youngster. Easy walk to Dam square and the flower market and a whole host of attractions and restaurants. Highly recommended for those who do not require an elevator to climb 2 flights.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am an enthusiastic traveller and I have visited many B&Bs in the world. Tulip of Amsterdam is simply the best!!! I stayed there for 3 nights during my summer holiday in August and I LOVED it!

First of all, it is centrally located in the heart of Amsterdam with lovely shops, restaurants, bars and markets just around the corner. Amsterdam Central Station is only 7-10 minutes' walk away. Despite its central location, Tulip is on a quiet street. So I enjoyed quiet evenings and slept like a baby. But if you like the night life, it's only a few minutes' walk away.

What really makes a difference is how friendly and thoughtful the hosts, David and Chris, are. I had a very warm welcome by the hosts, which really made me feel at home after a long journey to Amsterdam. They even carried my suitcase to my room. The room I stayed in was a large double room with ensuite. Everything was immaculate! Comfortable bed with nice bedding, a small dining table with chairs, a complimentary bottle of wine, tea bags, coffee capsules, drinking water, etc. I felt the hosts really put their thoughts into it to make their guests comfortable and happy. For my whole stay, I didn't have to ask for anything because everything I needed was just there in my room/bathroom. There is a wide range of choices for breakfast in the guest kitchen, too. By the way, I really liked the cat, Loytje, as it is so friendly and chillaxed. I couldn't stop cuddling and petting it. :-)

Amsterdam is a great city to visit. And my stay at Tulip made it even more special, just like the icing on the cake. I will definitely go back to Tulip when I visit Amsterdam again. Without reservation, I would highly recommend Tulip of Amsterdam B&B to anyone who desires a truly enjoyable experience in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend in July and were both very happy with the Tulip. David and Chris have done a great job and created a very welcoming place to stay. In part because they are both very welcoming but also they have created some fantastic rooms, each room with its own character. The attention detail in the rooms makes them great places to be. This is carried forward to the breakfast room which has everything you could want for breakfast with a very well equipped kitchen area. Even the hotel cat is friendly! 
Not only is the Tulip fantastic inside it is also very well located. We visited loads of museums over the weekend and the Tulip was very centrally located for all of them with a very easy walk.
I would highly recommend anyone staying in Amsterdam to stay at this hotel. You won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Tulip of Amsterdam a couple of weekends ago and loved it, its now our 'go to' B&B each time we go back to Amsterdam. David and Chris are very friendly and welcoming hosts, and make you feel very much at home. The decor amd ambience of the B&B actually makes you feel like you are staying with a friend rather than a guest house. The dining area/ kitchen where you make breakfast in the morning has a very modern design and there are plenty of delicious food options to choose from (toast, cereal, cheese, meats, fruit, yoghurt, eggs to make omelettes etc, cereal/ snack bars) plus a tassimo maker which always gets my vote! Our room was perfect - a good size, plenty of wardrobe space, lots of plug sockets in easy access places (unlike some hotels) Very comfortable bed (we slept well) - even had a hair dryer and straighteners in the room (and they were good ones). Good shower - can't fault it. Location wise its perfect. A 10 min walk from the main train station and walking distance from the main sights - we didn't need to get a cab once (or hire a bike). The furthest we walked was to the Rijk museum which was about 20 mins, so not a huge treck. Rembrandt's House is also a 5-10 min walk, and Rembrandt Sq/ Dam Sq a 10 min walk. The B&B is on a canal and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants opposite (we found a good thai place). Also a few minutes walk from the Red Light district if that's your thing. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Tulip to anyone - and if, like me, you are an animal lover - you'll love Chris and David's friendly little cat Loytje. He often spends his time in his basket on the window ledge staring at bikes and passers - by!

Room Tip: Ask for the Emerald room! It's my favourite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tulip of Amsterdam B&B? Share your experiences!