“Brilliant location and good price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Gallery Hotel

Save Saved
You added Art Gallery Hotel to your Saves list
Art Gallery Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Weteringschans 67, 1017 RX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #264 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location and good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed here with a friend for four nights and was wary of some of the negative reviews. The hotel is clean, the staff is speedy friendly and the location is fantastic. It's about a minute walk from the museum quarter, 5 minutes to Vondel Park and restauraunts and bars and a 15 minute walk into Central Amsterdam. The hotel was good quality for the price paid and I would recommend it for friends travelling and a sightseeing holiday.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

It was a year ago I stayed here but i felt it was worth to add a review because i see some mixed comments. I think these may come from those chosing the cheapest rooms and expecting the best deal. We stayed in a double room and I was quite satisfied. This hotel is in no way perfect but i get the feeling that unless you pay the big bucks in Amsterdam its unlikely you will find something perfect. This hotel has an excellent location (close to everythibg and only €30 to airport), rooms were comfortable although not quite as clean as I would like. Staff were helpful. It was good value for money for the budget traveller and i recommend to those with families (with a caveat that there are very steep stairs as is usual in Amsterdam) as long as you pay a bit more for a good room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We got a cheap deal online and paid £180 for a triple room for 3 nights, yes it was up some steep stairs but in Amsterdam just about every building has steep stairs so I don't know why so many people are surprised! Our room was clean and comfortable, basic but exactly what we needed for a weekend sight-seeing break. A stone's throw from all the sights, and with friendly, helpful service from the attendant on front desk

• Stayed September 2013
Quito, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel only one night but it was ok! actually the room that we had was not that good since it was next to the bathrooms since the other person who I was travelling in stayed in another one and that one was great! anyway the hotel was good!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I arrived to the room and the bed had sheets that hadn't been changed since the last person was in the room. Besides having visibly dirty bed sheets, the bed wasn't even made, the duvet had just been thrown over the dirty and messy sheet covering the mattress that was basically showing half of the mattress off. The private bathroom was nothing like showed in the picture. The shower curtain hanger was being held by wires and was almost falling. The shower itself was only 1cm lower than the bathroom floor level, making it get completely filled with water after a short shower. There was a small squeegee behind the toilet seat, I assumed with the purpose to drag the water back to the shower, which didn't help that much. The following days the bed sheets weren't changed and the bed wasn't made, apart from the duvet thrown on top of the bed pretending it was made of course. The towels were changed. For the price I paid I guess I can't expect much. Location wise it is amazing because is 5 minutes walking from the Leidseplein where there are good tram connections, the club jimmy woo and one of the bulldog coffee shops. Across the canal from the Rijksmuseum and the IAMSTERDAM sign at Museumplein. DO NOT BELIEVE THE PICTURES. It is definitely the dirtiest hotel I've even been to and shouldn't be rated as a a two-stars hotel, I've seen hostels better than that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was booked by my university's travel agent who told me everything was booked up for the weekend for price I had a budget to pay from my project funds, and this was all left and would I mind sharing a bathroom. I went for it since the pictures I was sent were lovely. But first I had the cabbie charge me almost double of what the hotel said it would cost to get there by driving all over the place and not using his Nav (why not?) Then I get there and there are these ridiculously dangerous staircases and no lift - almost totally vertical staircases that are narrow in both directions and I though I'd fall backward down the stairs with my heavy bag - I had to go to the 3rd floor! Then the room is a shoebox that barely has the small bed and a small desk, and wardrobe and a sink. I'm not a big person but it was way too cramped. Then when trying to sleep the walls are paper thin and the people next door were out late and back at 4 am and talking very loudly and slamming doors. Then others were up at 7 doing the same - so the first night I was trying to catch up on my sleep before a very intense weekend conference and meetings, I got 4 hours sleep. The next night was better and I knocked myself out with a drowsy allergy pill, but the pillows were terrible and seem like they were bought at a charity shop. I asked for them not to clean the room as I've had things stolen in hotels that went into my room while away and I don't trust maids, but they refused and cleaned it anyway, even though it wasn't dirty. Then the last night was horrible and noisy again and I had no more allergy tablets to knock me out. Terrible. Health and safely alone of the staircase is bad enough, but the noise and quality was terrible and it was 80 Euros a night - shame ! not better than student dorms or a hostel.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you are under 30 and don't need to sleep and are strong enough to haul...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Me and a few friends stayed at this hotel early march this year.
The hotel was nice and central, staff were friendly and all in all it good value for the money.
However, when I checked my bank statement there was an extra charge which had been taken from my account the day I got back to England. I tried to contact them through email and have still had no response from the hotel.
If you do stay at this hotel, be sure to check your card statement on the card you gave when booking the room.
This created a disappointing end to a good trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Art Gallery Hotel? Share your experiences!