“Well located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Gallery Hotel

Save Saved
You added Art Gallery Hotel to your Saves list
Art Gallery Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Weteringschans 67, 1017 RX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #257 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Quito, Ecuador
“Well located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel only one night but it was ok! actually the room that we had was not that good since it was next to the bathrooms since the other person who I was travelling in stayed in another one and that one was great! anyway the hotel was good!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I arrived to the room and the bed had sheets that hadn't been changed since the last person was in the room. Besides having visibly dirty bed sheets, the bed wasn't even made, the duvet had just been thrown over the dirty and messy sheet covering the mattress that was basically showing half of the mattress off. The private bathroom was nothing like showed in the picture. The shower curtain hanger was being held by wires and was almost falling. The shower itself was only 1cm lower than the bathroom floor level, making it get completely filled with water after a short shower. There was a small squeegee behind the toilet seat, I assumed with the purpose to drag the water back to the shower, which didn't help that much. The following days the bed sheets weren't changed and the bed wasn't made, apart from the duvet thrown on top of the bed pretending it was made of course. The towels were changed. For the price I paid I guess I can't expect much. Location wise it is amazing because is 5 minutes walking from the Leidseplein where there are good tram connections, the club jimmy woo and one of the bulldog coffee shops. Across the canal from the Rijksmuseum and the IAMSTERDAM sign at Museumplein. DO NOT BELIEVE THE PICTURES. It is definitely the dirtiest hotel I've even been to and shouldn't be rated as a a two-stars hotel, I've seen hostels better than that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was booked by my university's travel agent who told me everything was booked up for the weekend for price I had a budget to pay from my project funds, and this was all left and would I mind sharing a bathroom. I went for it since the pictures I was sent were lovely. But first I had the cabbie charge me almost double of what the hotel said it would cost to get there by driving all over the place and not using his Nav (why not?) Then I get there and there are these ridiculously dangerous staircases and no lift - almost totally vertical staircases that are narrow in both directions and I though I'd fall backward down the stairs with my heavy bag - I had to go to the 3rd floor! Then the room is a shoebox that barely has the small bed and a small desk, and wardrobe and a sink. I'm not a big person but it was way too cramped. Then when trying to sleep the walls are paper thin and the people next door were out late and back at 4 am and talking very loudly and slamming doors. Then others were up at 7 doing the same - so the first night I was trying to catch up on my sleep before a very intense weekend conference and meetings, I got 4 hours sleep. The next night was better and I knocked myself out with a drowsy allergy pill, but the pillows were terrible and seem like they were bought at a charity shop. I asked for them not to clean the room as I've had things stolen in hotels that went into my room while away and I don't trust maids, but they refused and cleaned it anyway, even though it wasn't dirty. Then the last night was horrible and noisy again and I had no more allergy tablets to knock me out. Terrible. Health and safely alone of the staircase is bad enough, but the noise and quality was terrible and it was 80 Euros a night - shame ! not better than student dorms or a hostel.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you are under 30 and don't need to sleep and are strong enough to haul...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Me and a few friends stayed at this hotel early march this year.
The hotel was nice and central, staff were friendly and all in all it good value for the money.
However, when I checked my bank statement there was an extra charge which had been taken from my account the day I got back to England. I tried to contact them through email and have still had no response from the hotel.
If you do stay at this hotel, be sure to check your card statement on the card you gave when booking the room.
This created a disappointing end to a good trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Literally THE WORST HOTEL I have ever been to. Please see my other review for full description. absoloute worts staff absoloute worst service rooms , so disgusting I had to leave and they charged me, promised theyd give me my money back and then took more. had to wait 4 hours for a room which when i FINALLLLLLLY was allowed in, there were 4 towels n the bathroom rubbish on the floor the door was open, the bed had no sheets but dirty brown covered sheets on the floor and a tipped over bin with rubbish on the floor. AFter being told heck in was AT 1pm and coming bakc every hour on the hour and being told to come back constantly. then charged for this? I stay in hostels worldwide bu tthis is legit the worst place i have ever dealt with, staff included. I would rather sleep in teh gutters of the red light district naked then ever come back to this place...for real do not give them your money.

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room" Pick another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Koszalin, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel is a good value, it's quite clean, the staff is very helpful... but... the state of bathrooms is really poor and the stairs... ah... you have to be quite fit or take rooms downstairs ;) To sum up, I think it is worth the money:) Very good location, close to restaurants, pubs and coffee shops :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We booked the Art Gallery Hotel for our visit to Amsterdam because it's walking distance to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and Modern Art Museums. It's a lovely hotel. We chose a Deluxe Double which had a wonderful view, a balcony, very comfortable bed, WIFI, flat screen TV, bathroom en suite, and a high ceiling. At 70 Euros or USD$100 tax inclusive, we thought it was very good on price and value. The staff is helpful and friendly.
We skipped the breakfast at 9 Euros. The hotel has a great free coffee machine (8 AM - 9 PM) which does espresso, cafe latte and macchiato (coffee, hot milk, chocolate). The Art Gallery Hotel has stairs (no elevator); so be comfortable with that if you choose this hotel. You can book directly at the hotel website (Search Art Gallery Hotel Amsterdam). All in all, a great experience; we recommend the Art Gallery Hotel.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Double is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Art Gallery Hotel? Share your experiences!