“Noisy accident trap” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Art Gallery Hotel

You added Art Gallery Hotel to your Saves list
Art Gallery Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Weteringschans 67, 1017 RX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #257 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Noisy accident trap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was booked by my university's travel agent who told me everything was booked up for the weekend for price I had a budget to pay from my project funds, and this was all left and would I mind sharing a bathroom. I went for it since the pictures I was sent were lovely. But first I had the cabbie charge me almost double of what the hotel said it would cost to get there by driving all over the place and not using his Nav (why not?) Then I get there and there are these ridiculously dangerous staircases and no lift - almost totally vertical staircases that are narrow in both directions and I though I'd fall backward down the stairs with my heavy bag - I had to go to the 3rd floor! Then the room is a shoebox that barely has the small bed and a small desk, and wardrobe and a sink. I'm not a big person but it was way too cramped. Then when trying to sleep the walls are paper thin and the people next door were out late and back at 4 am and talking very loudly and slamming doors. Then others were up at 7 doing the same - so the first night I was trying to catch up on my sleep before a very intense weekend conference and meetings, I got 4 hours sleep. The next night was better and I knocked myself out with a drowsy allergy pill, but the pillows were terrible and seem like they were bought at a charity shop. I asked for them not to clean the room as I've had things stolen in hotels that went into my room while away and I don't trust maids, but they refused and cleaned it anyway, even though it wasn't dirty. Then the last night was horrible and noisy again and I had no more allergy tablets to knock me out. Terrible. Health and safely alone of the staircase is bad enough, but the noise and quality was terrible and it was 80 Euros a night - shame ! not better than student dorms or a hostel.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you are under 30 and don't need to sleep and are strong enough to haul...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Me and a few friends stayed at this hotel early march this year.
The hotel was nice and central, staff were friendly and all in all it good value for the money.
However, when I checked my bank statement there was an extra charge which had been taken from my account the day I got back to England. I tried to contact them through email and have still had no response from the hotel.
If you do stay at this hotel, be sure to check your card statement on the card you gave when booking the room.
This created a disappointing end to a good trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Literally THE WORST HOTEL I have ever been to. Please see my other review for full description. absoloute worts staff absoloute worst service rooms , so disgusting I had to leave and they charged me, promised theyd give me my money back and then took more. had to wait 4 hours for a room which when i FINALLLLLLLY was allowed in, there were 4 towels n the bathroom rubbish on the floor the door was open, the bed had no sheets but dirty brown covered sheets on the floor and a tipped over bin with rubbish on the floor. AFter being told heck in was AT 1pm and coming bakc every hour on the hour and being told to come back constantly. then charged for this? I stay in hostels worldwide bu tthis is legit the worst place i have ever dealt with, staff included. I would rather sleep in teh gutters of the red light district naked then ever come back to this place...for real do not give them your money.

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room" Pick another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Koszalin, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel is a good value, it's quite clean, the staff is very helpful... but... the state of bathrooms is really poor and the stairs... ah... you have to be quite fit or take rooms downstairs ;) To sum up, I think it is worth the money:) Very good location, close to restaurants, pubs and coffee shops :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We booked the Art Gallery Hotel for our visit to Amsterdam because it's walking distance to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and Modern Art Museums. It's a lovely hotel. We chose a Deluxe Double which had a wonderful view, a balcony, very comfortable bed, WIFI, flat screen TV, bathroom en suite, and a high ceiling. At 70 Euros or USD$100 tax inclusive, we thought it was very good on price and value. The staff is helpful and friendly.
We skipped the breakfast at 9 Euros. The hotel has a great free coffee machine (8 AM - 9 PM) which does espresso, cafe latte and macchiato (coffee, hot milk, chocolate). The Art Gallery Hotel has stairs (no elevator); so be comfortable with that if you choose this hotel. You can book directly at the hotel website (Search Art Gallery Hotel Amsterdam). All in all, a great experience; we recommend the Art Gallery Hotel.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Double is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

On my second tripto Dam I stayed in the Art Gallery Hotel, it was beautifully cheap, we had own room but shared bathroom, own entrance and key. Only downside was its traditional Dutch style staircase which were very steep and we were on the top floor.. all adds to the fun! Rooms were clean and comfy, only saw staff once to check in but very friendly. The hotel on the south side near Vondel Park and Rijksmuseum so very easy to get everywhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Nice small hotel on good location, near to museums. I was stayed 3 night in February 2014 with my friend. Kind stuff,small rooms,worm...you have everything for short staying in Amsterdam. Good value for your money.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Art Gallery Hotel? Share your experiences!