“Great B&B in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Quartier Sonang

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Le Quartier Sonang
Ranked #1 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great B&B in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed for three nights during a recent trip to the Netherlands. Oki and Frank are great hosts and seem to truly enjoy being innkeepers. Oki serves a delicious breakfast in the room. Very helpful with local recommendations. A great neighborhood within a few blocks walk of museum place and the inner canals. Large room with recently renovated bath. Clearly deserving of the five star reviews.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The Le Quartier Sonang deserves its high marks on Trip Advisor. Frank and Oki were great hosts and the room came complete with high quality touches, which made our experience in Amsterdam that much better. The beds are fantastic and the big windows in the room made us feel like we were part of the city. The breakfasts were very good, featuring fresh croissants, fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh baked bread and fresh fruit with yogurt. The key word here is FRESH!

The Le Quartier Sonang is in more of a neighborhood setting, away from the chaos of the old city center. The location near the Rijksmuseum and Vondelpark was perfect. If you want to get to the old city center of Amsterdam, you can walk or just buy a multi-day tram ticket on board the tram so you can hop on and off when you tired of walking. The restaurants around the B&B are very good. Frank will point you to the best ones to try. Upon departure, there is a bus you can get within a five minute walk from the B&B that will take you to the airport for 5 euro each. Perfect!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Trip Advisor has never let me down. This B&B was in the top five when I booked my ten day stay a year ago. They had moved into the #1 spot by the time I arrived, and no wonder.

This was everything I hoped it would be and more. What I hoped for was a bright, clean, comfortable room with a decent bathroom in a B&B that was well-located, yet quiet. What I got was all that, plus a fabulous bathroom (spacious, elegant modern plumbing fixtures, a heated marble floor!) and Frank and Oki, capable innkeepers with high standards. They go above and beyond competent into excellence territory. I could tell five minutes after meeting them that this stay would go well as Frank made me a welome cappuccino and drew circles and arrows on a local map for places to eat, the market, and the best route to the Rijks museum.

It’s not just the little touches, like fresh flowers on the breakfast tray in the morning, and Belgium chocolate on the pillow at night, it’s their combination of flexibility and thoughtfulness. They are both truly welcoming and discreet. They help with matters both small (where can I find orange socks?) and large (fixed the hitch with checking in to my return flight online).

They smooth out the wrinkles in the sheet of a travelers life. Long may they serve the lucky people who choose to stay with them.

Room Tip: I was supremely comfortable in the back room with the balcony over the garden, mid-century modern fu...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

The owners are extremely friendly and professional. A ton of added finishing touches that make the stay memorable! They had great local lunch and dinner recommendations. By far the best hotel/ bed and breakfast experience we have ever had! We will return to Amsterdam and always stay with Oki and Frank!

• Stayed April 2014
PORTLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I were warmly welcomed (with a glass of wine and touring recommendations!) to Amsterdam for our all-too-brief visit (2 nights at the end of March) by the most gracious of hosts, Frank and Oki. This was the final stop of our trip after 10 days in Rome and 6 in Malta to celebrate my husband's special birthday, and it was a wonderful way to end our journey. Our room, overlooking a quiet residential street, was comfortable, spotless, and well appointed. The breakfasts were delicious and Frank and Oki even accommodated our early departure with breakfast before the usual time frame. They are both in the hospitality business and their experience shows in making guests feel special - in a low key, friendly, sincere way. They carried our luggage up and down the steep staircase - thankfully - and also arranged for our taxi pick-up the morning we left. They provided wonderful restaurant suggestions and in a pre-arrival email, suggested that we purchase museum tickets online ahead of time - which saved us a lot of time. We totally agree with all the other positive reviews and add our absolutely top rating to those which have been previously submitted. We look forward to returning for a much longer visit. Thank you again Frank and Oki.

Room Tip: They are both very nice! You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I celebrated my 40th birthday in Amsterdam. Our trip was phenomenal primarily due to our choosing Le Quartier Sonang for our stay.

Great Location: It is located on a quiet residential street in a lovely neighborhood.
Walking distance to museums, great local restaurants and many sites as well as easy access to trams (we purchased a multi day pass).

Immaculate Rooms: We chose the Chambre de Ville, which was spacious and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the quiet street. Luxurious natural coco-mat bed with fine bedding, 2 club chairs, small table with 2 additional chairs, mini fridge, coffee/tee makers, TV, nightstands, and a small wardrobe. Coffee, tea, milk, sugar, sparkling water, cups and spoons were provided, as were guide books, maps and slippers.

Modern en-suite Bathroom: Frameless glass shower stall, heated floors, heated towel rack (fluffy towels). Blow dryer (with concentrator and diffuser attachments) was provided, as was soap and shampoo.

Breakfasts: AWESOME!!!! Greek yogurt, breads, croissants, fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc delivered to the room each morning at our specified time with fresh flowers.

The Hosts: Frank and Oki are welcoming, friendly, helpful and accommodating - yet unobtrusive. They recommended great restaurants (we ate at all of them), provided us with maps, gave us an overview of the city, and answered our questions with smiles. Each night, they left chocolates on our pillows and even remembered my birthday with a special surprise.

Overall: Le Quartier Sonang was an oasis in an amazing city. We looked forward to returning each night and felt very much at home. 6 nights was barely enough - we could have stayed longer and a return trip is in order.

Room Tip: The Chambre de Ville is a spacious, comfortable room with a small balcony overlooking a very quiet r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

There are only two rooms in this lovely B&B, so book well in advance to get one of them. The location, in Amsterdam's Museum District, can't be beat. It's in close proximity to the canal rings, easy walking distance to the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House, and the charming upscale neighborhood is full of good restaurants, coffee shops and wine bars. Frank and Oki are the perfect hosts. They open not only their home to you, but also their hearts and make you feel as if you are visiting old friends. My room had fresh tulips, a Nespresso machine, a heavenly Coco-Mat bed, chocolates left on my pillow each evening, and on my birthday, Frank knocked on my door and handed me a glass of champagne! Amsterdam is an amazing city and Le Quartier Sonang is the perfect base from which to explore it. If you're there during tulip season, as I was lucky enough to be, don't miss visiting Keukenhof. Frank & Oki, you made my trip so special and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Le Quartier Sonang? Share your experiences!