“Absolutely beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hermitage Amsterdam

Hermitage Amsterdam
Amstel 51, Amsterdam 1001, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
20 530 8755
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #33 of 296 attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Art Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This is an Amsterdam-based extension of Russia's famed Hermitage Museum.
Brno, Jihomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
12 attraction reviews
“Absolutely beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I am so happy that I didn't skip this museum and now I feel I need to go to St. Petersburg see more.. see all. In time I visited there was exhibition "Monet to Cezane" I think and it was just perfect. The rooms are huge so even the really big pictures have enough space.
The only thing - I wish you to come in time with just short queue.

Visited July 2013

Denver, Colorado
14 attraction reviews
“The Van Gogh's were on the road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'll admit I only went because the Van Gogh museum (November 2012) was closed for renovation and the paintings were on the road. I'll also admit I didn't have even half the time needed to properly view the exhibits. But from what I did see, they had a good portion of the Van Gogh collection (the bedroom, sunflowers, a self-portrait), though I don't know if they were simply on loan and a very good Impressionist exhibit.

Visited February 2013
Montreal, Canada
37 attraction reviews
“Another beautiful museum to see....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

... it is a branch of the Hermitage in St-Petersbourg located in a building that was an elderly men and women on the Amstel River. Well worth a visit to see the permanent exhibits, the rooms, and the special exhibition Gauguin, Bonnard, Denis.
A Russian Taste for French Art. Take the audio guide to improve the visit and enjoy the superb sourroundings. Do not miss seeing the rest of the beautiful building and have a snack at the Neva café restaurant.

Visited January 2014
Utica, New York
25 attraction reviews
“Great exhibit of the Nabis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Art historian here. My wife liked it less than I but I loved the idea of creating an exhibition based upon the original Hermitage's holdings. Whether you enjoy it will depend, I suppose, on the exhibit that happens to be in place when you are in Amsterdam. Huge spaces, good lighting, interesting exhibition materials. A museum with money to spend that spends it well. Certainly there are more interesting fuller-scale museums to visit in Amsterdam but if the Hermitage's exhibition is of interest to you, you'll thoroughly enjoy this museum. The Museumkaart, a must if you visit several museums in Amsterdam, provides free admission without waiting.

Visited December 2013
The Hague, The Netherlands
122 attraction reviews
“A bit mixed feelings... it really depends which exhibitions they have..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This weekend I went to the Hermitage for the second time and I have to say it left me a bit with mixed feelings. On one hand it is a nice building well renovated to house a museum such as the Hermitage on the other hand I was a bit disappointed (the first time however I really enjoyed it, but that's almost two years ago).

The Museum is split in a few parts, two wings house exhibitions, one shows the history of this old building and has a concert hall which was in use when I was there this weekend (a nice concert which we could attend for free as it is included in the price) and one wing is used for the restaurant and the entrance.

Now if you have a nice exhibition which covers both wings then it will take you approx. two hours/ two hours and a half, however in this case there was one nice exhibition (in fact very nice) about French painters such as Gauguin, Bonnard and Denis (which was very crowded). It covered one wing, both floors... And then on the other side there was Russian modern art which I (and many other visitors) didn't like at all.....

Overall they can have great exhibitions in which case it is well worth your money, specially when they have a concert like the one of this weekend, however do check first, because that mondern art was not my thing at all and then you can feel a bit cheated.....

I also have the feeling that they could house much more, I hope that in the future they will make more and better use of all the space they have!.

For those who love the French painters/artists... Do go, that part is really worth it!.

Visited December 2013