“The Van Gogh's were on the road” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hermitage Amsterdam

Hermitage Amsterdam
Amstel 51, 1001 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)
20 530 8755
Skip the Line: Amsterdam and Holland Pass
Ranked #97 of 576 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is an Amsterdam-based extension of Russia's famed Hermitage Museum.
Denver, Colorado
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The Van Gogh's were on the road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'll admit I only went because the Van Gogh museum (November 2012) was closed for renovation and the paintings were on the road. I'll also admit I didn't have even half the time needed to properly view the exhibits. But from what I did see, they had a good portion of the Van Gogh collection (the bedroom, sunflowers, a self-portrait), though I don't know if they were simply on loan and a very good Impressionist exhibit.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Montreal, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Another beautiful museum to see....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

... it is a branch of the Hermitage in St-Petersbourg located in a building that was an elderly men and women on the Amstel River. Well worth a visit to see the permanent exhibits, the rooms, and the special exhibition Gauguin, Bonnard, Denis.
A Russian Taste for French Art. Take the audio guide to improve the visit and enjoy the superb sourroundings. Do not miss seeing the rest of the beautiful building and have a snack at the Neva café restaurant.

Visited January 2014
Utica, New York
471 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“Great exhibit of the Nabis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Art historian here. My wife liked it less than I but I loved the idea of creating an exhibition based upon the original Hermitage's holdings. Whether you enjoy it will depend, I suppose, on the exhibit that happens to be in place when you are in Amsterdam. Huge spaces, good lighting, interesting exhibition materials. A museum with money to spend that spends it well. Certainly there are more interesting fuller-scale museums to visit in Amsterdam but if the Hermitage's exhibition is of interest to you, you'll thoroughly enjoy this museum. The Museumkaart, a must if you visit several museums in Amsterdam, provides free admission without waiting.

The Hague, The Netherlands
190 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 421 helpful votes
“A bit mixed feelings... it really depends which exhibitions they have..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This weekend I went to the Hermitage for the second time and I have to say it left me a bit with mixed feelings. On one hand it is a nice building well renovated to house a museum such as the Hermitage on the other hand I was a bit disappointed (the first time however I really enjoyed it, but that's almost two years ago).

The Museum is split in a few parts, two wings house exhibitions, one shows the history of this old building and has a concert hall which was in use when I was there this weekend (a nice concert which we could attend for free as it is included in the price) and one wing is used for the restaurant and the entrance.

Now if you have a nice exhibition which covers both wings then it will take you approx. two hours/ two hours and a half, however in this case there was one nice exhibition (in fact very nice) about French painters such as Gauguin, Bonnard and Denis (which was very crowded). It covered one wing, both floors... And then on the other side there was Russian modern art which I (and many other visitors) didn't like at all.....

Overall they can have great exhibitions in which case it is well worth your money, specially when they have a concert like the one of this weekend, however do check first, because that mondern art was not my thing at all and then you can feel a bit cheated.....

I also have the feeling that they could house much more, I hope that in the future they will make more and better use of all the space they have!.

For those who love the French painters/artists... Do go, that part is really worth it!.

wales
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“take your time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I've been to the Hermitage in Amsterdam before and it was a pleasure but we focussed just on the visiting exhibition. this time I went alone to see the excellent gaugin bonnard and denis show (until feb 14) and so really had a chance to look at the whole place. It was a hospital that was open to the poor from the 1700s and only converted quite recently (and used as an old people's home until the change) and they've showed this history in a few of the rooms which is really lovely as it gives you a chance to imagine the city as it once was and the building in its earlier manifestation

but of course that's now what it is now so..

lots of lockers for your bags when you get there which take a euro and return it at the end (don't count on the cloakroom being open though) and a very passable cafe/restaurant upstairs and sensible seats.
most of the downstairs is admin/meeting rooms etc. and I confess that I managed to come into the show I wanted to see at the wrong end of it but it was so well curated that it didn't seem to make any difference
as well as the main exhibition they always have other things on usually emphaising the links between Holland and Russia (e.g. Artists on the Amstel and a rather wonderful little set of artworks by various cosmonauts/astronauts when I was there).
English and Dutch labelling which is great