“DONT DO IT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Season Star Hotel

You added Season Star Hotel to your Saves list
Season Star Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Martelaarsgracht 18, 1012 TR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #335 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“DONT DO IT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This has to be the most grotesque room in which I have ever had the extreme displeasure of staying. It was the most expensive of my entire journey thru Europe and absolutely the worst by far. For 110 euro may have well spent the 160 euro at the Crowne Plaza across the street.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pembroke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

If i could rate this 0 i would! Me and my partner stayed here beginning of may as a last resort as we hadn't booked anywhere in the dam for that night. Arrived at the hotel he wanted €70 for the room! As a last minute decision we just took it i guess it looked okish from the reception. The Chinese man gave us our keys and in the lift to the room we went. We arrived to our room pretty high up in the building, our toilet was in a room opposite our actual bedroom. We were given twin beds, the room smelt of smoke and we were told its not smoking it was like an ash tray. The carpet was a dusty red and had been torn and ripped from the sides. The bed and bedding smelt. The tv was from the 70s. The window had damp and mould was riddled in black. The bathroom with a crap shower smelt of piss like the previous people in the room had peed in there and hadn't been cleaned. We knew we wouldn't get anywhere else to stay so we decided to go out and get stoned in a local coffee shop so we could endure that place for the night. Me and my partner both slept fully clothed, it was noisy from the other guest must of been kids running around. Thank god it was for one night, reading the other reviews god knows what else what in that room that night with us. Don't waste any money here, make sure you book some where in advance! Worst place i have ever stayed and I've travelled a lot!

• Stayed May 2014
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Shocking hotel. Great location but that really is about it. I've seen cleaner and more modern homeless shelters than this. Maybe they don't keep it clean as they think itll get wrecked anyway, but to be honest it makes you want to mess it up even more, if modernised it'd probably stay like that

• Stayed April 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I frequently travel throughout Europe as part of my job and on this trip - and I had the misfortune of having to stay at this hotel. 3 stars???? where did that come from? the room was tiny, dirty, the wardrobe was broken with the doors leaning on the bed AND the corner of the wardrobe was propped up with a wooden coat hanger! half of the room wasn't vacuumed and there was a clear border of dust where the cleaners couldn't be bothered to clean. There was bubble gum stuck on the side of the wardrobe, the sink was cracked and you had to be an expert in yoga to use the toilet. The "hot" water was mildly tepid and trickled out of the shower. There was dirt and grime all over the light switches and plug sockets, the velux window didn't close, the saloon style doors to the "bathroom" went out of fashion in the 80's and should of stayed there!!
I didn't stay long enough or was brave enough to stay for their breakfast! My van's accommodation was 5* in comparison and it would of been more comfortable if I stayed in that for the night!! On a plus note, I did make friends with some friendly cockroaches though was very scared of being raped in the night by a gang of rats - do yourself a favour, this place charges the same rate as the Ibis hotel just round the corner - go there and have a good night's sleep without the worry of catching something contagious!!

Room Tip: Go to the Ibis hotel - same rates and your stay will be memorable for the right reasons!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been traveling for the last 5 years non-stop. I have lived out if hotels during that time. Most of the hotels are either 3 or 4 star hotels. I have been ill for a while and have remained in this hotel for over a week. Since it is winter there are a lot of available hotels, ( I have spent a lot of time here in Amsterdam and have stayed in closed to a hundred of the hotels so I know what to expect), still I have opted to stay here.mall of the previous reviews here are over a year old. Perhaps they remodeled at least the part of the hotel where my room is located. The hotel over all seems clean, and not signs of the mice that were mentioned in other reviews. There is an elevator and it is bigger than other ones at some of the other hotels in Amsterdam. The room is not large but larger than some. I have to full size suit cases and there is adequate space for them. As for the view, it is a street view and no different than 99% of the hotels in the city. As a matter of fact I pride myself in taking good arty photos and from my window the sun reflecting off of the trolley tracks and the interesting spires at on the horizon made a decent photo. The staff is Chinese, which I personally like because I have spent a lot of time and China and have acquired a strong appreciation for the culture. Regardless, the staff has been very nice. Since I have been ill and in my room there were times I could did not go down in the morning to extend my stay. They came to my room and handled the extension from my room. The location is as good as it gets in Amsterdam. Everything it right out side the front door. Down side, the price for winter is high. But checking on line it seems to be true for the entire city. I usually don't right review but after reading the negative reviews that were listed I fet I had to rectify the misinformation. As I said, maybe there was remodeling done. When I stay in a hotel the reviews are as important as what the hotel's own description, so to me I see negative reviews to be important advice to avoid the hotel. In this case that is wrong and the reviews are unfairly damaging, so this is an update that returns a little fairness to what the reviews have taken away.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
nice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Unless you like to sleep with mice in your room avoid this hotel. VERY dirty and we saw 2 MICE in our room they came crawling in under the broken door that wouldnt close properly. when we went to the reception to tell him he wasnt at all surprised and told us if we werent happy to leave. it was 2:00 am and we had no where else to go on a saturday nite where all the hotels were full and we didnt feel like walking the streets in the train station area so we stayed and put towels to block the holes in the door. Can u believe they refused to reimburse us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Luzon, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Picked this hotel because of its proximity to Centraal Station, since I don't want to walk far enough while looking for my hotel with a heavy luggage. Since it's just across the station, I thought it was a great idea. Until I was given the keys to my room. The room I was assigned to has no elevator access! I had to carry my heavy luggage up a steep flight of stairs, without any assistance from the staff. When I reached my room, at least the bed was comfortable (or maybe I was just tired from all those carrying) and I got to enjoy the view of a smokestack and the backside of buildings. Probably, it's a subtle suggestion to get out of the room and explore the nearby attractions of old Amsterdam, many of which are just a short walk from the hotel.

The breakfast "buffet" was laughable. It was just a few choices of cold cuts, bread, jams straight from the grocery - I know because one of the staff was hurriedly taking out the bread from a grocery bag to lay it out on the buffet table. Oh well, at least I got the room for cheap and I only stayed there for one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Season Star Hotel? Share your experiences!