“January 2014 review.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Season Star Hotel

You added Season Star Hotel to your Saves list
Season Star Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Martelaarsgracht 18, 1012 TR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #355 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“January 2014 review.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been traveling for the last 5 years non-stop. I have lived out if hotels during that time. Most of the hotels are either 3 or 4 star hotels. I have been ill for a while and have remained in this hotel for over a week. Since it is winter there are a lot of available hotels, ( I have spent a lot of time here in Amsterdam and have stayed in closed to a hundred of the hotels so I know what to expect), still I have opted to stay here.mall of the previous reviews here are over a year old. Perhaps they remodeled at least the part of the hotel where my room is located. The hotel over all seems clean, and not signs of the mice that were mentioned in other reviews. There is an elevator and it is bigger than other ones at some of the other hotels in Amsterdam. The room is not large but larger than some. I have to full size suit cases and there is adequate space for them. As for the view, it is a street view and no different than 99% of the hotels in the city. As a matter of fact I pride myself in taking good arty photos and from my window the sun reflecting off of the trolley tracks and the interesting spires at on the horizon made a decent photo. The staff is Chinese, which I personally like because I have spent a lot of time and China and have acquired a strong appreciation for the culture. Regardless, the staff has been very nice. Since I have been ill and in my room there were times I could did not go down in the morning to extend my stay. They came to my room and handled the extension from my room. The location is as good as it gets in Amsterdam. Everything it right out side the front door. Down side, the price for winter is high. But checking on line it seems to be true for the entire city. I usually don't right review but after reading the negative reviews that were listed I fet I had to rectify the misinformation. As I said, maybe there was remodeling done. When I stay in a hotel the reviews are as important as what the hotel's own description, so to me I see negative reviews to be important advice to avoid the hotel. In this case that is wrong and the reviews are unfairly damaging, so this is an update that returns a little fairness to what the reviews have taken away.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Gareth P

nice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Unless you like to sleep with mice in your room avoid this hotel. VERY dirty and we saw 2 MICE in our room they came crawling in under the broken door that wouldnt close properly. when we went to the reception to tell him he wasnt at all surprised and told us if we werent happy to leave. it was 2:00 am and we had no where else to go on a saturday nite where all the hotels were full and we didnt feel like walking the streets in the train station area so we stayed and put towels to block the holes in the door. Can u believe they refused to reimburse us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank rivieraNice
Luzon, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Picked this hotel because of its proximity to Centraal Station, since I don't want to walk far enough while looking for my hotel with a heavy luggage. Since it's just across the station, I thought it was a great idea. Until I was given the keys to my room. The room I was assigned to has no elevator access! I had to carry my heavy luggage up a steep flight of stairs, without any assistance from the staff. When I reached my room, at least the bed was comfortable (or maybe I was just tired from all those carrying) and I got to enjoy the view of a smokestack and the backside of buildings. Probably, it's a subtle suggestion to get out of the room and explore the nearby attractions of old Amsterdam, many of which are just a short walk from the hotel.

The breakfast "buffet" was laughable. It was just a few choices of cold cuts, bread, jams straight from the grocery - I know because one of the staff was hurriedly taking out the bread from a grocery bag to lay it out on the buffet table. Oh well, at least I got the room for cheap and I only stayed there for one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our original accomodation looked to have fallen through and it was the day of the Europa Cup Final, so we had to book sight unseen. I don't know if Amsterdam has health or fire codes, but this hotel should be shut down. The room they tried to put is in on the third floor was absolutely filthy and the smoke detector was dangling from the ceiling. The lift barely worked and did not seem safe at all.
We were in the room for 5 minutes and decided that we'd rather sleep at the train staition than this place and tried to get our money back; they tried to tell us that there is a 3 day cancellation policy and weren't going to give us any money back. We fought it and they refunded all but one night, which cost us €200.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MommyCatt3
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Advantages: budget-priced, virtually across the street from the central train station, and surrounded by the hip downtown.

Negatives: dirty, surly staff, meager breakfast, and dirty.

Acceptable for a long layover or a traveller on a very tight budget. I don't recommend this hotel for a prolonged stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Amsterdam, Paesi Bassi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was there in summer 2012 with my friends, we took a room with four beds,but we were in three,it was at the 2nd floor.the light in bathroom was always switched on,even during the night.We only need place to sleep,wash and surf internet.for these things Season Star is perfect.but if you want something else - this hostel isn't for you.The price was ok for A'dam centre. The stuff was really nice and ready to help you anytime,even during the night

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is clearly a hostel and most definately not a Hotel! There is no lifts in the building so you will be expected to carry your luggage up steep staircases into rooms with bunkbeds and less than adequate toilet facilities. Our shower was filthy and did not drain properly. One of our party complained to the staff about this and requested it to be cleaned. This never happened and as it was so filthy we all had to forego showers for the duration of the stay, which is appalling. We despised the place so much we spent as little time as possible there. The only positive I can say about this place is that it is close to the Train Station and center of Amsterdam, but I think there are better quality establishments and better value for money to be found elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends