“Great location, not much else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Season Star Hotel

You added Season Star Hotel to your Saves list
Season Star Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Martelaarsgracht 18, 1012 TR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #343 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Luzon, Philippines
“Great location, not much else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Picked this hotel because of its proximity to Centraal Station, since I don't want to walk far enough while looking for my hotel with a heavy luggage. Since it's just across the station, I thought it was a great idea. Until I was given the keys to my room. The room I was assigned to has no elevator access! I had to carry my heavy luggage up a steep flight of stairs, without any assistance from the staff. When I reached my room, at least the bed was comfortable (or maybe I was just tired from all those carrying) and I got to enjoy the view of a smokestack and the backside of buildings. Probably, it's a subtle suggestion to get out of the room and explore the nearby attractions of old Amsterdam, many of which are just a short walk from the hotel.

The breakfast "buffet" was laughable. It was just a few choices of cold cuts, bread, jams straight from the grocery - I know because one of the staff was hurriedly taking out the bread from a grocery bag to lay it out on the buffet table. Oh well, at least I got the room for cheap and I only stayed there for one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our original accomodation looked to have fallen through and it was the day of the Europa Cup Final, so we had to book sight unseen. I don't know if Amsterdam has health or fire codes, but this hotel should be shut down. The room they tried to put is in on the third floor was absolutely filthy and the smoke detector was dangling from the ceiling. The lift barely worked and did not seem safe at all.
We were in the room for 5 minutes and decided that we'd rather sleep at the train staition than this place and tried to get our money back; they tried to tell us that there is a 3 day cancellation policy and weren't going to give us any money back. We fought it and they refunded all but one night, which cost us €200.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Advantages: budget-priced, virtually across the street from the central train station, and surrounded by the hip downtown.

Negatives: dirty, surly staff, meager breakfast, and dirty.

Acceptable for a long layover or a traveller on a very tight budget. I don't recommend this hotel for a prolonged stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Amsterdam, Paesi Bassi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was there in summer 2012 with my friends, we took a room with four beds,but we were in three,it was at the 2nd floor.the light in bathroom was always switched on,even during the night.We only need place to sleep,wash and surf internet.for these things Season Star is perfect.but if you want something else - this hostel isn't for you.The price was ok for A'dam centre. The stuff was really nice and ready to help you anytime,even during the night

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is clearly a hostel and most definately not a Hotel! There is no lifts in the building so you will be expected to carry your luggage up steep staircases into rooms with bunkbeds and less than adequate toilet facilities. Our shower was filthy and did not drain properly. One of our party complained to the staff about this and requested it to be cleaned. This never happened and as it was so filthy we all had to forego showers for the duration of the stay, which is appalling. We despised the place so much we spent as little time as possible there. The only positive I can say about this place is that it is close to the Train Station and center of Amsterdam, but I think there are better quality establishments and better value for money to be found elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The only good thing about this place was it was a five minute walk from the train station, meaning i could get the hell away from this so called hotel as fast as possible. The staff were very rude to start with and arent very helpful, the rooms are filthy its like they have never every been cleaned, the shower in the bathroom only had cold water and once the water is switched on the drain blocks up and black scum starts coming back up the drain into the shower tray (i asked for someone to have a look at this but surprise no one did, meaning we could not have showers). Who ever had been in the room before us had got sick into the toilet and it had not been cleaned by anyone (3 days later it still was not clean meaning we had to go to the public bathrooms). A member of staff told me that any type of card would work on the doors of the rooms e.g your bank card, so I didn't feel even safe there because anyone can get into your room( the reason she told me this is because my friend had our key for the room and i needed to get back into the room). The hotel is over priced €100.00 per night and I was very unhappy with the service and cleanliness of this hotel

Room Tip: The hotel is filthy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

While everything you would expect is there, at the same time everything is not quite as good as it should be for a three star (or so it calls itself) hotel. The hotel is only five minutes walk from the central train station, which is good, but it is on a tram route that is noisy because there is no sound protection. The room was clean but was not serviced on our two night stay. Overall the hotel had a run down look and feel but its location and price were great. If you're looking for something cheap within walking or close tram distance of everywhere then give it a go. But don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Season Star Hotel? Share your experiences!