“Home from (fantasy) home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Seven one Seven

Save Saved
You added Hotel Seven one Seven to your Saves list
Hotel Seven one Seven
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 717, 1017 JW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Special Offer
Summer Special
Ranked #12 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Siena, Toscana, Italy
“Home from (fantasy) home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I really loved this hotel. Every time I walked up to the door and rang the bell I felt like an aristocrat returning to my stunning town house to be greeted by my charming staff and have my every whim pampered. A tray of afternoon tea, perhaps? Some wine? Except those who greeted me were also handsome, intelligent and highly knowledgeable young men. What more could you ask for? They found us two stunning (recently opened) restaurants, which we have recommended to Amsterdam locals! Everything about the great location and rooms has already been said by others. If I had to be really picky, I would suggest they use loose-leaf tea rather than tea-bags and improve the toiletries in the bathroom. But hey, it was 99.99% perfect!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The small, but oh-so-special touches at 717 are what turned a great stay into a truly memorable one. Heavingly breakfast, wonderful artwork, friendly, helpful, attentive, but never intrusive service, all the comforts of a larger property, tucked away in this true gem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stay in many hotels, and in many places. I had come to 717 from another terrific hotel, Trois Rois in Basel. I was curious about 717 when I saw how small (and steep!) it was. But after settling into a room that was perfectly clean and comfortably, with all kinds of thoughtful touches to ensure a feeling of ease and tranquility, I began to see that this was a one-of-a-kind experience. The staff was knowledgeable and quite helpful, but unobtrusive. Any questions were answered helpfully and carefully, and plans were made with a minimum of fuss. Breakfast was hearty and elegant in a perfectly set basement room that looked out onto a garden. The Spode china was a fine complement to the delicious eggs and Dutch pancakes. After three nights, I was ready to stay a lot longer. My daugther and her friend had a similarly fine time. We'll all go back. But I hesistate to recommend the place, for fear of its discovery and ruin! Go by all means, but please 717, stay just the way you are.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Hotel Seven One Seven has proven itself to not be inflexible, and uninterested in satisfying customers.

In January I made reservations at this hotel for our upcoming summer vacation, and my wife and I were very much looking forward to our stay. The reservations were explicitly not cancellable. Unfortunately, shortly before our scheduled departure I was diagnosed with infectious hepatitis. My physician told me that I would be putting both my own health and that of other travelers at risk if I were to continue with my plans. Shortly before our scheduled departure and more than two weeks prior to our reservation date I called the hotel to see if, due to these unusual circumstances, I might be able to receive a partial refund. Jacques Oerlemans informed me that there were no refunds under any circumstances. I then asked, since it wasn't covered in the terms of the reservation, whether I might be able to transfer the reservation to an acquaintance who would appreciate the gift. After all, the room had been paid in full. However I was tersely told that wouldn't be allowed either.

Certainly Hotel Seven One Seven is certainly keeping to the terms of the reservation that we had agreed to in not offering a refund. And by choosing to profit from my misfortune rather than demonstrate any flexibility at all, they missed an opportunity to earn my appreciation and loyalty. Rather, I will never do business with them again and aggressively discourage others from doing the same.

There are many excellent hotels in Amsterdam. In the future, Hotel Seven One Seven will not be a consideration for our hotel needs in the city. And I strongly encourage others to avoid it as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seven_one_Seven, General Manager at Hotel Seven one Seven, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We are very sorry to read at Tripadvisor, that you are diagnosed with hepatitis.

We do understand that you are unsatisfied with the Prepaid reservation and policy for the upcoming weekend, but we are pleased to see that your wife will be able to visit Amsterdam and make good use of the booking you made earlier.

Please rest assured that, like for our all our guests, we will take good care of your wife during her stay. Your wife will experience an unforgettable stay at Seven one Seven. We sincerely hope you will recover soon and hope we may welcome you both in the future.

With kind regards, Brita Rohl, General Manager
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed the night of our wedding in the lovely Hotel Seven one Seven. Even though it was 3 am and we were tired, we have generously been offered a drink and served very well that night. These guys know how to deal with exhausted people! We have enjoyed the night in the excellent bed and were waken up by the delightful smell of a breakfast which was the most well prepared we've ever seen - served on our bed! We were impressed by the comfortable ambiance of the hotel, both at the entrance and in the rooms and we were astonished to meet such concerned staff, as much interested in our wellbeing as one possibly can be. It was the best imaginable ending of the best day of our life! Thanks very much!

Room Tip: The Room at the Top might be the most cosy room of the hotel. For a wedding night, it certainly suit...
Phila, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A very nice intimate property, in a great location with a terriffic staff. Perfect location to explore the city whether you are heading toward the Anne Frank House or DePijp. We stayed in the Shakespeare Suite because it was a short flight up and seemed to suite our tastes. The room was very nice and what you would expect in a Botique hotel, character and charm. From the included minibar to the wine served in the room and the excellent breakfast, this was a very relaxing way to prep for our day. We watched a movie in the room one night and spent time getting to know the small staff. They are all very different, but have unique stories. They really put ther hearts into servicing the guests and no request was ignored. They add to the experience.

Room Tip: No elevator so be sure you want the top floor if you choose it. The Shakespeare room one flight up...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at the 7-1-7 for two nights in the Tolkien suite. On arrival, we were greeted as honoured guests and offered tea, biscuits and small cakes. The room was beautiful and immaculately clean, as was the bathroom and toilet. Breakfasts were freshly prepared and delicious, although another guest whom we overheard apparently felt that a broader range of foods should have been available. Room service was prompt, efficient, friendly but unobtrusive. Maybe I'm too used to British and American hotels, but I would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room, particularly for early morning refreshment - but with the level of service available, it wasn't really a problem, All in all, a most enjoyable stay in a lovely hotel. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Seven one Seven? Share your experiences!