“good hotel good staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

You added Hotel Old Quarter to your Saves list
Hotel Old Quarter
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Warmoestraat 22 | 1012 JD Amsterdam, 1012 JD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #253 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
liverpool england
“good hotel good staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

the roooms in this hotel were suitable for our purpose ( somwere to sleep & get ready ) if you want better pay for better !!! the staff at the hotel are really friendly, helpfull and speak all languages. we ate at the hotel most of the stay as we found other places pricey and not as nice ( you get 10% off the menu price) ,
must warn i took a case that was 21 kilo's which was hilarious getting up & down the stairs of this hotel as like most in amsterdam they are steep and winding .

Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I have stayed in Amsterdam many times, but it was the first time for my partner, so I wanted to book a hotel that was right in the middle of things, and this is it! The location is perfect, just a five minute walk from Centraal Station, and our room had a view of the Damrak.

The hotel is basic but very clean, and the staff really helpful and friendly. Breakfast is adequate. I would recommend that couples book the luxury double room as you get an ensuite bathroom.

The bar/restaurant is nice, the food cooked well and reasonably priced. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I have worked in Amsterdam for many years and always stayed at this hotel until they developed a bug problem last year. It never was the greatest hotel in the world but I am not fussy, the location was good and it was relatively cheap. Im not sure whats happened but I believe the bugs are coming up the sink and bathroom pipes and infested the rooms. I got eaten alive one night there and gave them another chance. When I went back a month later the same thing happened again.

This time I got up, had a shower and left. I was able to see little black bugs and tiny green flie type insects. I knew that in the gap between me first getting eaten and the second time (which was a different room) there had to be HUNDREDS of people who suffered the same horrible experience.

I to had to see the Doc and get anti biotics to rid the horrendous itching and lumps that were all over my body and face, not so good when you have to present yourself at work. Anyway, my advice is look elsewhere unless you want to stay awake all night sleeping in your clothes or walking out all scratchy to find another hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The room was small, but it looks like everything in Amsterdam is small and narrow. Best tip I can offer is to pack light and take the smallest luggage possible. Our room was originally on very top floor but there was no way our luggage would fit up the stairs. Fortunately, we were able to change rooms to the side of hotel where there is a lift to the floor we were on. Breakfast was decent and room did the trick...gave us a place to sleep and shower. Within walking distance to train station and everything else, great deal of my group!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Noisy, dirty, more of a Hostel than a Hotel. Maid doesn't even make the bed or clean. 1 Ply Toilet Paper!!! Lamps burned out, no remote for tiny TV, Phone not working unless you leave a deposit, cant even call bar, free breakfast consists of 2 scrambled eggs with uncooked fatty bacon, ,coffee and half toasted bread served with a snarl and all this for nearly €100/night.

My room was in the basement beside a storeroom that was used every few minutes by staff, got woken up every night at 1:30am and again from 7am. Slamming doors, wearing clogs down the stairs, bags of beerbottles being dragged around. Too noisy to sleep with the horns from the canal boats during the day. So dont worry about getting up on time, the staff or canal boats will keep you up. I didn't experience bedbugs as many did but I wondered if the sheets were changed before I checked in.

This "hotel" should aspire to be a "Kip House" for under 25's but would not qualify for a 1 star. I could see the potential of this place if it were professionally managed because of it's location but for the same money or less you can stay at a 4 star Hotel near the Airport and get a proper breakfast, decent meals, a gym, a pool and sauna.

Expect to be treated by contempt by unfriendly staff. The restaurant was empty during the day and most nights while other restaurants nearby were busy. They have a €15/head minimum if there is a band playing but I didn't see any good bands. There was a jazz band one night but this entertainment would be better suited to over 60's and not in keeping with it's current clientele.

The only plus was the water pressure form the shower but the water was so dangerously hot that you could make tea with it, but of course you would have to buy your own because all you get here is an ashtray an a bin. I've seen Salvation Army Hostels with more facilities for guests.

Amsterdam is something you probably want to see once in your life but Prague, Budapest, Berlin and even Dusseldorf would be more highly recommended. The Dutch recently passed laws to ban tobacco smoking and most Hotels do not even have any smoking rooms any more. I found it very hard to get a room at all. Hotels in Amsterdam charge twice the rate for weekends than they do for weekdays which is a ripoff.

I would avoid this hostel, in fact I would avoid Amsterdam altogether, I wont be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Belfast, NI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

We were looking for a cheap hotel in the heart of amsterdam, that's what we got. Good value for the price. Room had two twin beds which were pushed together for us, it had a tv in the room, sink and mirror, also a small table with two chairs, shower and toilet were right outside the door. Rooms were an adequate size. We felt very secure in the room, as the door leading into the rooms was only buzzed open by staff in the bar for residents. Everything you need is on the street that Hotel Old Quarter is on, loads of lovely eating places, coffee shops and convenience shops. Also we did not experience any bed bugs. Staff were very helpful also in providing clean towels etc. On our way out we asked for beds and towels to be changed and when we got back in the evening it was done. Also no one bothered you in your room unless you asked for something. We had a lovely stay at Hotel Old Quarter.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

When checking out this hotel online, there was quite a few negitive comments but some good reviews too. I remembered where this hotel was from our last visit. Its not a posh hotel, from the outside its a bar with reception there and at the back is a secure door that leads to all the rooms. We booked a twin room for 2 nights at 150 euros altogether from a website, we were given room 21 which was on the bottom floor, it was a basic room with twin beds (they put them together as a double for us), bathroom and tv and was clean. The view from the room was lovely, right on the water and looking over to the main street. The rooms are not huge but thats expected as its original buildings been turned into hotel rooms. Also when we go to amsterdam we are out all day long and its just somewhere to sleep. The hotel is central and around the corner is the red light district and coffee shops everywhere. I would recommend this hotel to everyone as its a perfect central location to stay. p.s - there was no bed bugs

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Old Quarter? Share your experiences!