“Repugnant!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Save Saved
You added Hotel Old Quarter to your Saves list
Hotel Old Quarter
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Warmoestraat 22 | 1012 JD Amsterdam, Amsterdam 1012 JD, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #239 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“Repugnant!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at the old quarter hotel we were anxious to check our bags in.. When we arrived the man at the main desk was generalizing us saying we're out to get high instead of visiting attractions. Then he asked if we'd like to put our bags in a communal closet with everyone elses as our room wasn't ready by "the cleaner" When we got to our "room" we were disgusted! Room number 9.. The highest climb in the hotel. And the steep stairs would do away with you and I'm only in my mid 20s. The room was absolutely filthy! We weren't expecting the Ritz but this was something else! Lighter burns on the wall. Filthy carpets with spills, tv didn't work, I didn't shower there as I would have been worse off showering there. The atmosphere was creepy there at night too. Your safety and wellbeing isn't guaranteed as we we're on The top floor, and there were dodgy guys next door to us.When I think of this place as a hotel it makes me more giddy than any marijuana in Amsterdam! Will never darken the old quarter "hotel" ever again! Shame as the location was perfect and the bar wasn't too bad! Deffo some money, maintenance and effort is needed!

• Stayed September 2013

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked a room for 4 people which was cold, damp, smelly with one of the worst bathrooms I have ever had to use. We paid £120 between us and we didn't even get breakfast despite the fact that the ground floor of the hotel is a restaurant. You access the hotel through the restaurant and get one key per room which you have the leave when you go out, you are given a card with the room number on which you have to show to get your key when you return....whatever you do don't misplace your card. Location wise the hotel is great if you want to party in the red light district plus it's only 10 minutes to walk to central station. Also, beware they take payment from your credit card prior to arrival in case you don't show up, so when you leave if you use a different payment method, they hold both payments for up to 5 days, something they don't tell you on arrival.

Room Tip: Don't go the 4 bed room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great price, great location and outstanding staff, I would definitely stay here again for another long weekend! We stayed for 3 nights, on the first, we hadn't paid to upgrade to a canal view and I must say, it did look like we were staying in a shed. There were holes in the walls but hey, that's what you get for 1 star! haha. The second and third night, we DID upgrade and it was idea for us. Perfectly clean, lovely views and close to everything. Perfect for crawling back high at 2am!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get the room overlooking the canal!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here with 12 lads on a stag do, I was the organiser so was obviously nervous about our choice of hotel!! We chose the Old Quarter mainly due to its central location and low price which lets face it is all you want on a stag do.

We had two quads and two doubles and I was located in the quads at the very top of the hotel so I cant comment on the doubles. The quads however were located at the very top of the hotel up the steepest stairs I've ever experienced in my life and 'overlooking' the centre of the hotel... basically all the other rooms.

The room itself was small but not horrendously so, we just had a bit of a laugh about it then went for a drink, lets face it, we didn't spend much time in the room!! The bathroom was good and was more of a wet room but the shower was great and certainly blasted the hangovers away!! The beds weren't the comfiest, the walls were a bit dirty, the tv was pointlessly small and the room was bland - but we were on a stag do and it was perfect for what we needed.

The hotel entrance is into the bar and the bartenders were all extremely friendly (if a little busy and rushed in the mornings) and they really did add something to our trip, I didn't catch his name but the guy behind the bar was particularly friendly and when we stumbled back in at 2am one morning still wanted to get us a drink and was very hospitable.

I didn't sample the breakfast any morning but we did have a burger there one night which was actually very good. The bar has a great selection of drinks too and had a very sociable and friendly atmosphere about it. During our stay we got talking to another stag do and a lone American businessman!

Finally, the location, this is where the hotel is the best. 5 minutes from the station, 5 minutes from Dam square and 5 minutes from the buzz and sights and sounds. Its about as central as you can get which was great for us.

All in all we had a great stag do and the hotel did help. No I wouldn't take the girlfriend here, no I wouldn't stay here on business but for our stag do it is deserving of its very good status and for groups of friends, tourists on a budget or people who aren't fussed about 5 star quality or the little extra's this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lincolnshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was my first ever stay over in Amsterdam and I was at least expecting somewhere clean to lay my head... The room itself was very basic to say the least (80 euros) & the shower floor was so manky I actually got showered in my socks and then threw them in the bin!!!! Unless you're smacked off your tits, give this hotel a miss! In addition, because its on the main 'coffee shop' street, there is relentless noise into the early hours and then just to make sure you can't possibly sleep there is an early morning glass collection by the local council.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dumfries,Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

At last, a hotel you can smoke in! And it has cheery staff and a decent bar/restaurant. The rooms are wee and there are no doubles but they are serviceable and clean and the beds are cumfy, will stay again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gold Beach, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Spend the extra euros for the canal view rooms. Stayed here a few times over the past 6 years, and it has always been a pleasure. Friendly and helpful staff, stupendous location and comfy room! 200 characters is way too many, thanks.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms, for sure!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Old Quarter? Share your experiences!