“David Bowie show...to be missed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Foam - Photography Museum Amsterdam

Foam - Photography Museum Amsterdam
Keizersgracht 609, 1017 DS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)
+31 20 55 16 500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #84 of 247 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Foam enables people all over the world to experience and enjoy photography, whether it's at our museum in Amsterdam, on the website, via Foam Magazine or in our Editions Gallery.Completed in 1716, the building where Foam is situated - Keizersgracht 609 - first operated as a warehouse. In 2002 it became Foam and has since been a hotspot for photography lovers.Foam nurtures and shows upcoming artists in combination with exhibitions of well known photographers and historical work. It has a gallery, library, bookshop and cafe.
From Here to There
16 attraction reviews
“David Bowie show...to be missed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were quite disappointed with the David Bowie show at the annex Foam building on Vijzelstraat. The show was very small...very very small...there were of course a few interesting images, but by a few I mean literally, a few. The photography was mediocre, and all I could think was, jeez...I wish a better photographer had the chance to shoot these shots. The quality of the reproductions was beyond poor...highly digitized pixelation, poor quality paper, what a waste! Sorry to the artist...I'm sure this isn't an accurate depiction of your best work.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
NJ
472 attraction reviews
1,139 helpful votes 1,139 helpful votes
“The buildidng is the star.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went tonight to the opening of the Edward Steichen exhibit of fashion photography, mostly from the '30's. It was ok. The structure of the museum is actually several canal houses joined together. The cumulative garden area behind the houses forming the museum is lush, green and perfect for whiling away some time on a nice summer day. The museum is free on thursday evenings after 5:30, and here is a discount for seniors and students. There is a cafe on the premises.

Ithaca, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Interesting exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We really enjoyed the special exhibits when we visited. Also, nice garden out the back. The café looked nice, but we didn't try it.

Portland OR
7 attraction reviews
“Thought-provoking museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

As holders of a Museumkaart, we were looking for as many different museum experiences as we had time for during our 4 days in Amsterdam. We walked into FOAM with a mild curiosity, and left it as great admirers. The Stephen Gill exhibition in particular is a wealth of material that is fascinating and provocative. As a photographer, his creative process is diverse and well-represented here at FOAM. The other exhibitions were not as extensive but still engaging. Keep your eyes peeled for the tucked-away library (available by appointment only, we assume, as it was locked) that is a clever use of space.

Visited May 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
7 attraction reviews
“pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I really enjoyed the photography and the amount of works there. The staff was friendly and, since the first time I went there I was with someone in a wheelchair, wheelchair let me come back the next day to see what I had to skip due to my friend not being able to join. On that note, I do wish there were more handicap accessible ramps. Besides that, my one true complaint was the price. It was a bit steep for myself as a student traveling to study contemporary art.