“Avoid!! Old Bridge Apartment - Awful, dirty, and mice running around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast

You added Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Oudebrugsteeg 6-II, 1012 JP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #104 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
“Avoid!! Old Bridge Apartment - Awful, dirty, and mice running around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I really don't undertsand all the good reviews, I've stayed in lots of places in Amsterdam, this is the worst hands down. I wrote a complaint when I got home, to date I have not had a reply. For 555 euros for 3 nights, you would expect much more!! This is the complaint E-mail I sent:

Hi There,

We're just back from our 3 night break in your Old Bridge Apartment and I'm afraid it was not very pleasant, infact, it was terrible!! The only reason I never contacted you over the weekend, was because it was my sisters 40th birthday we were away for, and she didn't want any fuss.

When we first arrived, it appeared OK, but certainly didn't smell very fresh, but as the weekend went on, the levels of neglect became more apparent. It definitely requires a lick of paint, that much is clear, but it also needs a deep clean. My sister and I both used the shower the night we arrived, the toilet itself was clean, the grouting on the tiles is grubby and the floor hadn't been cleaned properly as there was hair left by previous dwellers. My brother-in-law then showed us the shower head (which we have taken pictures of), we both wished we hadn't used the shower, the shower head is disgusting, we never used the shower the rest of the weekend, it made us feel sick!!

We went to the shops to buy some food for breakfast etc and got some half baked baguettes (which we left behind) thinking we could bake them in the oven. The oven was also disgusting, the smell when you opened it made you gagg (we took a photo of this)!! Also the sofa in the livingroom was smelly, we were reluctant to even sit on it, it wouldn't have been hard to put a clean fresh cover on it for new guests, it was stained and had a mouse dropping on it (also took a photo of this). The black chair in the livingroom also had white stains all over it, I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess as to what they were. the carpet in the livingroom was also really dirty and stained. I was soooo disappointed that I had booked this for my sisters 40th and quite upset, but that wasn't the worst.......

As there was 4 of us (which we also paid a suppliment for), we had to drag the 2 bunk bed mattresses through from the bedroom to sleep in the living area, the first night we caught sight of our first mouse, or 3, they were running all round the perimeter of the room, then back to their hole at the side of the kitchen units, while looking under furniture for the mice, there were dirty tissues under the small bookshelf and mouse droppings, also under the TV unit. I did not want to sleep in the place at all, but had to grin and bear it for my sister. For the 3 nights, during the night, the mice were running back and forth, in our bags and squeaking all night, this ontop of the uncomfortable foam mattresses on the dirty floor, with a view of what's lurking beneath the units, made for a terrible nights sleep, and we couldn't stop scratching.

On the last day my sister showed me the views from the 2 bedroom windows, this made me realise where the mice came from, and I'm suprised there were no rats to be honest.

For the price we paid, the fact we never even had a bed each, and had to live in such a filthy place, I think it's a joke, and not a funny one. I stayed in your loft apartment a couple of years ago, and while it maybe needed upgraded, it was at least cleaner. I visit Amsterdam at least once a year and this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed (in or out of the Netherlands), and will never book again. The only good things about the apartment was it's central location, other than that, nothing.

We should get some of our money refunded, for one thing we never had full use of the advertised amentities i.e. the shower, oven, beds, and also because the place was so dirty. I have never wrote a bad review for anywhere I've stayed, only good reviews, but if we don't get any satisfaction, there will be 4 bad reviews going into any review website we can find you on.

I await your reply

Nearly 4 weeks later and still no reply

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
lettydesign
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed here in 2012 in the loft room,which was fantastic,we have just booked to stay again in April of this year. We love this B&B as it is clean,fresh,beautiful rooms,excellent choice on breakfast. This B&B is a little gem right on the doorstep of Amsterdam's most finest attractions. We are trying out the lower room this time,as husband struggles on the stairs but we cant wait,as we know it will be just as nice,if not nicer than the loft room!

Room Tip: Loft room is wonderful, it has a big double window that can be opened,so that you can hear the churc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is a real B&B. It is in a fantastic location. A short walk from the station so you can get off a train, walk 5 minutes and you're there. The house has two rooms to stay in. I only saw one of them which is the one I stayed in. The room was great for winter. It was warm, clean, pleasant and quite large. I was on my own but the room has two single beds next to each other. It also had a fridge, lots of closet space and a decent size proper bathroom with shower, basin, toilet, not one of these sort of cubicles in the main room as you see in some places. Plumbing and water pressure and temperature were very good. Big windows that face the narrow street outside. Upstairs there is a full kitchen, well stocked and very neat and clean. It's also open all day and night for coffee or whatever. There were ample ingredients for a full breakfast, cooked or not. The internet (WiFi) connection in the room was very good. There is a computer in a corner of the kitchen in case you arrive device-less and need to get on line.
Cees was helpful, friendly, available but not at all intrusive. He keeps his B&B spotless and has obviously put a lot of thought and care into making it a great place to stay.
A warning though. If you are not very mobile, the stairs can be a challenge. They are very steep.
Another warning. You are right in the thick of it in Amsterdam at this B&B. If you are looking for a quiet, out of the way spot to get away from it all, this is not for you!
With those two caveats I would say that for the price the Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: There are only two to choose from. If you don't like stairs, choose the lower one. I didn't...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Very, very old building, cleverly renovated. What was the fourth story now provides more height to the two guest rooms. So clean! Obviously loved. The host, Camillo, greeted us warmly, carried our bags up the steep stairs and helpfully arranged tickets to museums.
We slept well thanks to the effective sound insulation, and then the big surprise -- breakfast. Fresh, warm bread, cold cuts, cheeses and an olive boat with a variety of fruit pieces, and coffee, hot with hot frothy milk. Camillo and Joost are maintaining their record of Trip Advisor awards, not resting on their laurels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed in the loft room during queens day celebrations so Amsterdam was pretty crazy. Cees was an awesome host, helped with our bags up those insane stairs and shared some great tips with us. The location is so good, right in the heart of the fun part of Amsterdam but the room was quite and relaxing still. The breakfast room is so cute. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. Have stayed in many different places in the city and this was the best so far.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for 3 nights as part of a 12 day Euro trip. It was absolutely phenomenal for our purposes. It is located within 5 minutes walking to all of the trams and trains at the central station to get anywhere in Amsterdam during the day, and is also very close to lots of bars and coffeeshops in the evening.

One pleasant surprise was that, depsite the fact that the B&B is on a pretty busy street, the rooms are well insulated and we never felt like street noise disturbed us during our stay.

Cees was also fantastic! He communicated with us prior to our stay to make sure we knew how to get to the B&B from the train station, and also to make sure that he would be there once we arrived. He carried our bags up the steep stairs, and back down them again when we left. He could not have been more helpful and welcoming!

Breakfast in the breakfast room was great, and though we didn't take advantage, it was nice to have 24 hour use of the kitchen in case we would have liked to cook something.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower room and loved it-- the upper room may have been too many stairs for us with...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Whether it is the first night of your stay and you would like to be close to everything or last night of your stay and you will be leaving via Centraal Station Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast is for you! I enjoyed waking up to the sounds of city center from the white fluffy comfortable bed of the loft room. It was wonderful opening my eyes to the sturdy 500 year old rafters and looking out my window to the beautiful clock tower faithfully letting me know by sight and sound what time of day or night it was. It was awe-inspiring to contemplate how the dutch navigated the steep stairways of their traditional houses as I caught my breath before entering my room. I feel that this home is worth exploring for any traveler!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!