“Lovely stay and will definitely return” 4 of 5 stars

Shelter Jordan
Bloemstraat 179, 1016 LA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #80 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Ghent, Belgium
“Lovely stay and will definitely return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I began the search of finding a hostel in Amsterdam which allows you to stay only one night, this one was the best one I cane across in my price range and I am very glad I did. From check-in to check-out, the experience was great. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and helpful in finding everything you need,from directions to travel advice. The hostel also makes provision for the needs of their guests, and we were able to buy locks, postcards, museum tickets and (best of all) a really cute umbrella which was handy due to the horrible weather. The rooms are very small, but the beds were comfortable and everything was very clean and well maintained. The hostel, while being quiet, had a lively atmosphere in the cafe and you can have a great meal at a very reasonable price. We also got free coffee and breakfast which was great and very tasteful. It is close to all the major attractions and in the lovely neighbourhood of Jordan so you can walk or bike while you enjoy the beautiful city. There is also no lockout. You can also leave your luggage after checkout in a luggage room whilst you explore the city.

The price was a little steep for a 4 person room, but our stay was so wonderful it was worth it. I wont hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Shelter Jordan. The rooms were typical hostel, somewhat cramped and such. But we really enjoyed the atmosphere overall at the hostel – quiet and peaceful. We found the staff friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the Dutch food tasting in the evening (free of charge). The included breakfast is a nice touch, although not having access to kitchen facilities was a bit of negative. That being said, they did have a microwave and fridge.
I see a few negative reviews here, even referring to this place as “weird”, largely due to the no drugs and alcohol policy. It probably isn’t for everyone, although you certainly don’t have to be a Christian to stay there. So if you think that actually being able to sleep at a decent hour in a quiet atmosphere and a comfortable place is odd, please stay away! But on the other hand if this thought kind of turns your crank, by all means please stay there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Okay, so I didn't really look up much on this hostel before booking it. Cause we booked a little late, and didn't have too many options. While I understand that it's Christian hostel, but the no alcohol-drug policy doesn't gel well with, well, Amsterdam.
On the downside, rooms were really small and cramped, the drug-alcohol restrictions and the limited facilities at the hostel and the price didn't feel money's worth. No lift, so if you have luggage, you may struggle a little.
On the upside however, some of the staff was helpful. A huge relief was the included breakfast and subsidized meals. And location. Not too far from everything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Le Havre, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went with some friends to Amsterdam for a weekend... the place is clean and the staff is really nice and gentile, always trying to help you and give you advises about the principal tourist attractions in the city. The breakfast is included and is very good. I stayed in the 18 female dorm, which was big and comfortable, special if you like to travel and you just look for a bed to sleep close to the down town. Sheets are provided, the bathrooms are very clean,and there's always somebody in the reception 24/7, city maps, information and souvenirs are also available. The district is very nice and traditional... just a couple of block away from Ana Frank's house and around 15 min. walk from the central station, the red light district is also close, the best coffee shops and the museum area. And a piece of advice, forget about the public transport and rent a bike!! Is wonderful and cheaper; there are a couple of places where you can rent it close to the hostel!!

Room Tip: It depends on your budget and if you care or not about sleeping with strangers... I stayed in the 18...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Jalandhar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Shelter Jordan was lively and had a friendly atmosphere.

Check-in was smooth, and luggage was kept secured in the Luggage room with tags, all the luggage was checked again with the help of luggage tags, so the Hostel was secured to the best levels IMHO.

We were 18 bed Male Dorm, Lockers were large enough for a backpack, it took some effort to make it fit in, unfortunately there were no charger in the room. When asked Why? I was informed this was to avoid theft and mobiles could be charges at Down stairs, a better option could have been to provide chargers inside the Lockers.

Except chargers, everything was really good, clean sheets, big pillow and a comfy mattress.
Males and Females dorms were on separate floor, so you can see some people using that as an advantage and chilling in the natural manner.

Location was close to the Tram Station and it was easy to reach anyplace required.
Staff was very friendly, breakfast was delicious and filling, would really recommend this hostel to someone who's not looking to drink and party inside the Hostel.

If all you are looking for is a good place to sleep and cool people to hangout and meet, Shelter Jordan might just be that at an affordable price in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My 3 female friends and I booked this hostel as we thought it would be a good location and a safe place for us to stay. With its Christian ethos,we thought the staff would be kind and helpful.

We were VERY wrong.

A week before our stay, one of our friends went to the hostel to ensure we were all placed in the same room, and ressured that was fine. On arrival,we were told 3 of us were in 1 room and 1 of us was sleeping on our own in a 6 bed room.

We waited for 45 to check in and every time you went to the desk, you had to prepare yourself for a very long wait!!

Location wise: not very near the centre of Amsterdam. Good if you don't mind long walks to amenities.

The staff were most disappointing. They were very unhelpful and extremely sarcastic. Such a shame as they are promoting themselves as a "Christian" place. They happily knocked our door and asked us to go to church in the mornings but seemed reluctant to help us with our complaint that we had booked a room for the 4 of us to stay together.

You have to pay for towels,pay for locks,pay for water, pay for a key deposit.

The breakfasts were laughable. I was told the 3 options were unavailable by the time i got downstairs but I could have some dry bread with cheese. An extra charge of 1.50 euro for a top up on hot drinks.

There are lots of odd people either living or working in the hostel. Who they are was unclear but one specific man told us where we could/couldn't leave our bikes, times for checkout etc but he was not staff?!

The rooms are tiny. There were no windows in our room that could be opened. There was 1 plug socket for all 4 people in our room. Wifi connection was poor and you had to "like" the hostel on Facebook everything you wanted to use their wifi

The hostel is greatly overpriced!!

Overall we were very disappointed with the hostel and would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I'm not going to lie, I only stayed at this place because it was the only place with available bookings. I don't exactly love their old-fashioned rules about segregation (separating based on gender) nor prohibition (no alcohol or cannabis). I met up my friend whom is of the opposite gender, and we both left for a place that wasn't stuck in the 1950s. I will say that the staff was nice and friendly. Shelter Jordan is not a party hostel, i got a good night sleep. I was able to get good wifi in the rooms (rare for a hostel). The breakfast was disappointing, they were out of everything except apples. I painfully observed a "midnight bible-reading/prayer", it was 4 or 5 very different (eccentric) people who awkwardly feigned enthusiasm for their religion, watching them pray made me cringe and pity them, backpackers and Amsterdam are not a combination of piety. I don't have anything against Christians or Christianity, but the archaic policies and practices of this hostel were an inconvenience. As a gay man, I felt uncomfortable with being obligated to stay in "all male dorms". Gender is a spectrum, not a binary characteristic that the religious establishment likes to incorrectly promote.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shelter Jordan? Share your experiences!