“No Drugs-Alcohol in Amsterdam! A different experience” 4 of 5 stars

Shelter Jordan
Bloemstraat 179, 1016 LA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #80 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Jalandhar
“No Drugs-Alcohol in Amsterdam! A different experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Shelter Jordan was lively and had a friendly atmosphere.

Check-in was smooth, and luggage was kept secured in the Luggage room with tags, all the luggage was checked again with the help of luggage tags, so the Hostel was secured to the best levels IMHO.

We were 18 bed Male Dorm, Lockers were large enough for a backpack, it took some effort to make it fit in, unfortunately there were no charger in the room. When asked Why? I was informed this was to avoid theft and mobiles could be charges at Down stairs, a better option could have been to provide chargers inside the Lockers.

Except chargers, everything was really good, clean sheets, big pillow and a comfy mattress.
Males and Females dorms were on separate floor, so you can see some people using that as an advantage and chilling in the natural manner.

Location was close to the Tram Station and it was easy to reach anyplace required.
Staff was very friendly, breakfast was delicious and filling, would really recommend this hostel to someone who's not looking to drink and party inside the Hostel.

If all you are looking for is a good place to sleep and cool people to hangout and meet, Shelter Jordan might just be that at an affordable price in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My 3 female friends and I booked this hostel as we thought it would be a good location and a safe place for us to stay. With its Christian ethos,we thought the staff would be kind and helpful.

We were VERY wrong.

A week before our stay, one of our friends went to the hostel to ensure we were all placed in the same room, and ressured that was fine. On arrival,we were told 3 of us were in 1 room and 1 of us was sleeping on our own in a 6 bed room.

We waited for 45 to check in and every time you went to the desk, you had to prepare yourself for a very long wait!!

Location wise: not very near the centre of Amsterdam. Good if you don't mind long walks to amenities.

The staff were most disappointing. They were very unhelpful and extremely sarcastic. Such a shame as they are promoting themselves as a "Christian" place. They happily knocked our door and asked us to go to church in the mornings but seemed reluctant to help us with our complaint that we had booked a room for the 4 of us to stay together.

You have to pay for towels,pay for locks,pay for water, pay for a key deposit.

The breakfasts were laughable. I was told the 3 options were unavailable by the time i got downstairs but I could have some dry bread with cheese. An extra charge of 1.50 euro for a top up on hot drinks.

There are lots of odd people either living or working in the hostel. Who they are was unclear but one specific man told us where we could/couldn't leave our bikes, times for checkout etc but he was not staff?!

The rooms are tiny. There were no windows in our room that could be opened. There was 1 plug socket for all 4 people in our room. Wifi connection was poor and you had to "like" the hostel on Facebook everything you wanted to use their wifi

The hostel is greatly overpriced!!

Overall we were very disappointed with the hostel and would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I'm not going to lie, I only stayed at this place because it was the only place with available bookings. I don't exactly love their old-fashioned rules about segregation (separating based on gender) nor prohibition (no alcohol or cannabis). I met up my friend whom is of the opposite gender, and we both left for a place that wasn't stuck in the 1950s. I will say that the staff was nice and friendly. Shelter Jordan is not a party hostel, i got a good night sleep. I was able to get good wifi in the rooms (rare for a hostel). The breakfast was disappointing, they were out of everything except apples. I painfully observed a "midnight bible-reading/prayer", it was 4 or 5 very different (eccentric) people who awkwardly feigned enthusiasm for their religion, watching them pray made me cringe and pity them, backpackers and Amsterdam are not a combination of piety. I don't have anything against Christians or Christianity, but the archaic policies and practices of this hostel were an inconvenience. As a gay man, I felt uncomfortable with being obligated to stay in "all male dorms". Gender is a spectrum, not a binary characteristic that the religious establishment likes to incorrectly promote.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice couple of nights I had there. And the staff when we staying in the hostel were friendly.

However I left my prescription glasses there, I know my fault, but I rang 3 days after staying at the hostel asking if they had been handed in. Speaking to a girl at reception told me that they were handed in and that she had found them "yay for me" she said.

She kindly put me through to the Cleaner Supervisor who told me to fill out a form online, transfer 10 euros (which cost me an extra 15 pounds to transfer), and email them with my address. I did that day, thinking how efficient the process was and hoping that they would be sent within a couple of days.

How wrong I was.

10 days later I had no confirmation that they had received my money or my email.
Yet again I rang and spoke to people who said that they would get back to me... no one did... still no email.

I spoke to a girl who told me that they didn't know the password for the Cleaning Supervisor email. So how could they read emails from me and other people who left things in the hostel??

I rang last friday (a week ago today) spoke to the manager and the girl who told me she found my glasses. The girl said that she guessed that my glasses were sent. I said a guess is not good enough. They are prescription glasses.

With in 10 minutes after my phone call I received an email saying they had already been sent.

Ringing back today (a week later) I was told that they were sent on the 2nd of August (14 days ago) and that they had sent me 10 emails. (clearly I didn't receive anything) I don't know why know one knew when they were sent earlier on or how they know now that they were sent then.

They didn't send them recorded delivery or anything and didn't have a receipt. So by the sounds of it they are lost in the post. I would have thought that they would have done so considering that it cost me a lot of money, and yet again they are my prescription glasses. More than10 euros it was, wasted.

I was told today that I will get all my money back, but how long that will take I don't know.

I don't normally write on trip advisor but hopefully the staff will understand even more how frustrated I am and to inform other travellers not to leave anything important that you need every day, in the hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

It was my first time in Amsterdam, and i booked Shelter Jordan to stay for 3 nights, it was cheap and it looked clean in the photos ( which was true) it was very clean and the staff were so nice and awesome. it was my first night at Shelter Jordan i didn't like it at first. i thought i was to quite and i had a very smelly dude in my dorm and i saw a sign for no drinking or drugs, well i don't care for drugs so that was fine, so i thought this wasnt going to be a fun hostel but the 2nd night, i couldn't of pick a better place! after a night out i woke up to quiet, which is the best thing if you are hungover..... it was close to everything and i will go back. and i will tell everyone about this place!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very close to the railway station. The hostel is clean and very well maintained. I stayed in the 8 bed male dorm with 4 of my other friends. The bed was comfortable and each one of us had a sperate small cupboard. The reception is helpful and friendly. The bathrooms were also clean and tidy. This is a catholic hostel and you had to maintain the discipline. The breakfast was good, and they have a very comfortable common room, with board games and books to read.

IF you are only looking for a short stay at a budget this is the perfect place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pros:
Good location (close enough to everything, but in a quiet, cool area of town)
Super friendly staff
Best "come together" environment
Clean
Safe

Cons:
Small bathroom (for a whole floor of girls)- in all fairness, this was only an issue 1 morning out of 4

This was the only hostel my cousin and I stayed at in 5 weeks that had a social Friday night: free dinner and icebreaker games. I know it sounds lame, but it was ridiculously fun, helped you to meet people, and ended early enough that we still were able to go out that night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shelter Jordan? Share your experiences!