“Close to train station but completely ruined impression of Amsterdam” 3 of 5 stars
Review of White Tulip Hostel

You added White Tulip Hostel to your Saves list
White Tulip Hostel
Warmoesstraat 87, 1012 HZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #133 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Hong Kong, China
“Close to train station but completely ruined impression of Amsterdam”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I chose this place because it was close to the train station, but was rather put off by the run-down state of the place. True it's in the Red-light district and lots of people who party might find it convenient, but sharing the bathroom outside the room like a dorm and doors that don't close and send alarms off wasn't that great. Lockers were so beat up that not everyone has a locker with a lockable door in the room.
Staff was ok and good location and near laundry-mat and lots of restaurants to choose from. Also quite safe even if having to return late at night - on that aspect it's great. Just the run-down state is hardly bearable...Left a bad impression of Amsterdam, but I am probably too naive to hope for a better conditioned hostel with that price in the location.

Room Tip: Better make sure you can sleep through the noise even if you choose one with fewer people sharing...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I can't imagine what staying in a shared room would be like in this hostel and would certainly not want to experience it. There was four of us staying luckily. We had our own room up on the third floor. The epic journey up the stairs was enough. I felt like Sir Edmond Hillary. I should have carried my oxygen tank with me. The room had two sets of bunks a table with three chairs and a window. The room was warm. We received clean sheets and a blanket. Towels were complimentary. Check in was smooth, we got there at 11am and our room was available. Downfalls were the toilets were grubby. The floors in the bathrooms were greasy. Out of the three day stay I got one scolding hot shower and the other two felt like shards of icicle pellets burning small acid holes in my body - not very pleasant after an indulgent night out.
Anyway the location is pretty awesome. Close to the train. Close to the RLD. Close to the discounted bar (which was pretty cheap). Close to shops that sell interesting stuff. They make you pay a city tax on top of your original booking price. They bells are pretty 'pleasant' too (they go off every 15mins or so). Not the best yet not the worst place I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Don't get level 3
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Ugh- the White Tulip- I still have nightmares! Out of all the hostels I've ever been to, this is by far the worst.

We were in a room where the window didn't close properly, so we constantly had noise from the street. The bathrooms are tiny and disgusting- I felt dirtier AFTER showering.

The power went out periodically, which meant you couldn't get into the rooms unless there was someone already inside who would open the door for you.

We had some random guys banging on our door at 5am one night. Our room was full but they were demanding to get in- it was pretty scary. Apparently they had left their luggage in our room the day before- I think it's pretty irresponsible of the hostel to allow people to leave their luggage for a day after they check out, and to let them into the hostel again at that hour!

The food at the bar downstairs is pretty good, and at least the rooms have large lockers (bring your own lock if you don't want to pay for them). The people at the front desk are friendly, but the "luggage room" is accessible to anyone, so I wouldn't leave your stuff there.

This is a great location for going to bars, coffeeshops and restaurants, but it's just so noisy. The church bells also drove me crazy!

I really wouldn't recommend this place- I think you'd be better off staying in a less touristy area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The location is perfect, next to RDL and only 5 min walk from Central Station. However right next to a church playing bells every 15mins every morning.
Stayed with friends, was perfect for the 3 nights we stayed however don't think i could of managed another!.
Beware of extra fee on arrival!?

Room Tip: All rooms very loud!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The location is great of only 5 min walk from Central Station. For us the staff was nice and during our stay bathrooms and showers were clean. After the first night we decided to stay another but hostel was fully booked, so me and my friend shared a bed and payed it half, which was great. :D Located in the centre, but next to a church playing bells every morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Definitely wouldn't stay here again, the worst place we've stayed. Unclean (we even had a friendly mouse running around our room), unwelcoming, very plain, dodgy bathroom (I could barely even fit in a cubicle and the showers don't drain properly), and the staff "accidentally" took my microfibre towel and were unable to return it before I left - making it an expensive and inconvenient stay. The only advantage is its central location, though be warned it is in the red light district. I advise staying away from this place.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

There was just one good thing. And that one was being close to center.. I paid for 3 days but after 2 days i run away..
I had silly problem with receptionist at 4 am when i turned bac to hostel.. Almost i couldnt enter my room..

• Stayed November 2012

Been to White Tulip Hostel? Share your experiences!