“Rudest staff I've ever come in contact with” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Globe

You added Hotel The Globe to your Saves list
Hotel The Globe
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 3, 1012 EH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #276 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Australia
“Rudest staff I've ever come in contact with”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hostel has potential to be good, as there are a few lovely staff members here, one in particular that has tried to help me with a concern, but some of the staff here make it so unpleasant. I've had one lady on now two occasions in one day show me way more attitude than Regina George on a bad day. Another man working here literally lost it at me when I asked for an electricity point, which supposedly existed but was untraceable. Which brings me to my next point- where the hell are the electricity points in the room? Man, I'm on holiday and just want to charge my camera battery!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Glossop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Alright, let's be honest. If you're coming on here to read reviews then you're not gonna remember the shining reviews. You will remember the bad ones - I know for a fact I remember the one about the bed bugs. That poor girl, covered in scratches in bites.

I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE ARE NO BED BUGS. The people I travelled to Amsterdam with (friends from Manchester; we had a private ensuite room thanks very much) were sometimes bitey, but there were no bed bugs to speak of. On the subject of rooms, my biggest gripe was with the pillow being a perfect square. That's not much of a gripe at all. I must admit to the room being a tad warm (it was bloody boiling in there at all times). The ensuite was a 'wet room' which certainly did what it said on the tin. But, when all was said and done, the place had character. As with all holidays, social norms were cast aside at airport security, and so we needn't have worried about the cosiness of the room. We were naked in about 15 seconds.

As for the what else the hostel offers, the scran wasn't too shabby, and pretty cheap when compared with what else we got in Dam. The bar is in line with the rest of Dam which means your wallet will haemorrhage. Happy Hour really is an hour, and is only on Heineken, but makes a pinto a snip at €2.50. Big smoking area for smoking stuff. Dos (spanish intended) pool tables, pricey again at €2 a pop, but good fun and worth it.

So, only drawbacks are with cost really. And the pedant on the door who makes you produce your key card whenever you want to go into your room. He can be swiftly dealt with by employing the batted eyelids method. Heat isn't the hostel's fault as such - just leave the window open and you'll be reet. Location is stunning - 5 mins from the Central Station and basically right in the Red Light District. From the station Amsterdam is your oyster, and if you get an IAmsterdam card at tourist information you can bazz around on the tram which is a boon. If you're looking for a headquarters for a trip that melds debauchery with culture, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for a stag doo and after reading the reviews and seeing the pics we were skeptical to say the least. However when we got there the room wasn't too bad, bedding was clean and had a newly decorated en-suite.The staff were rather anal about producing room cards to gain access which although annoying meant we knew security wasn't too much of an issue. My only fault would be the price, it's rather expensive compared with nicer hotels so no reason to ever stay here unless a group of you all want to stay in the same dorm. Also the breakfast wasn't too bad and the bar has a happy hour through the week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

so, This hostel is in a great location, an absolutely stunning location, in fact. Right in the red light district, everything that you could possibly want to see in Amsterdam is in walking distance, train station close by, cafes and shops near and all the wonders of the red light district literally on the doorstep.
We arrived, the man at the desk was wonderful, gave us great directions and really made the trip a great one. He took his time to tell us great places to go and even invited us out with him and some of his friends. Later in the trip he saved us from a very scary couple of guys who were overly interested in forcing drinks upon us and finding out which room we were in.
The hostel, where do I start, such great potential, huge bar area and loads of rooms, but, I think it became very apparent that in Dam, if the locals dont go there, no one should.
The room was so hot, I had never felt heat like this, you couldnt get out of the room without a key, which my friend had. Breathing was impossible, I woke up to the heat thinking I was bleeding becuase of the pools of sweat on my face and neck. The window opened about 2 Cms, I spent the whole agonizing night with my nose against the crack in thw window trying to survive ... literally, desperately trying to survive the heat as it was impossible to breathe. I ended up sleeping outside on the side of the canal when I could finally leave the room ...
The whole time we spent in Amsterdam, we could not return to the room becuase of the heat, as soon as we entered the room it brought tears to our eyes, a feeling I have never felt. My skin burned.
The bathrooms were very clean! went for a shower in the morning and when I asked if there was a hair dryer to the woman at reception, she looked at me as if I had just punched her in the throat and barked a definite no back at me.
the food was fine, if you had sampled some other local delights ahead of time so you were desperate enough to eat it. Bog standard chef mic(rowave) meals.
Again, I loved the man at reception, the place was fantastic, the heat was unbearable though.
I would love to stay in such a perfect location again, but, becuase of the burning hell fire that I unfortunately had to sleep in, I now know what death in a house fire feels like so I could not stay again.
Say hi to our friend on reception if you go though!! worth a stay just for him, but bring a fan.

Room Tip: dont stay in one close to the furnace or roof, in fact, just ask not to stay in the furnace and you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Globe is very good. It is on the red light district but is not noisy at night. A 5 minute walk from the train station. The rooms are spacious and we stayed in the 20 person dorm. You have to go and ask for a towel at reception, which is free so not a big deal. There are lockers in the room and the beds are comfy with plush pillows, unusual for a hostel. Lol. The bathrooms are like a 4* hotel quality which is quite random, but nice! There is a bar/restaurant downstairs and no common cooking kitchen area, which we usually like but knew it didn't have one when we booked. They let you store your luggage if you are catching a train a few hours after check out, this is very helpful. We did not eat food so cannot comment but they have reasonably priced drinks. There is a nice outside seating area at the canal and a good indoor smoking room. No complaints at all and would recommend to friends and will stay again on return, this is our 3rd time in Amsterdam :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I travelled to Amsterdam last week with a friend. We went to this hotel and asked the receptionist for a room for the night. He said he had a room for 80 euros which seemed reasonable, so we took it. He also demanded a 20 euro deposit for the room key, which I didn't have on me until I found an ATM, so he took my ID instead and said I'd get it back when I gave him the money. He was brusque, rude and unpleasant.

The room was an alright size with 8 bunk beds and a tiny bathroom, which was dingy and dark, with barely space to turn around. It was stiflingly hot, even with the window open. There was graffiti all over the lockers, which had evidence of being tampered with or forced open. The floor was disgustingly dirty, and the whole place had a weird smell. (Not weed. I know and love that smell. It just smelled unclean.)

I went back to the reception/bar to ask for an adaptor so I could charge my phone and ended up in an argument with him regarding the key deposit - he wanted the money immediately. Had he not seen that we hadn't left the building yet?! He started shouting at me that he didn't want to keep my ID, and I needed to give him the money now. I asked for directions to an ATM - he just pointed at the door. So, we went exploring. Sure enough, I got my ID back, and the adaptor for another 5 euro deposit.

So far, not too bad I guess. Just a rude, shouty man at the reception who clearly hates his job and all it entails.

However, when I woke up in the morning there were 3 other men sleeping in the room. At no point was it explained to us that we may have other people in the room. Indeed, we asked for a ROOM, not beds. If this had been explained I would not have stayed here - I am a young woman and this was my first trip away, so waking up to 3 strange men in my room was upsetting to say the least.

We checked out in the morning, this time there was an even ruder lady on the reception desk. She just held her hand out for the key, no "good morning" greeting or attempt at conversation - just stony silence - and I just wanted to get out of there without incident, so didn't mention how bad the stay was for us. Also, it's the kind of place you just know will not care in the slightest - they already have your money, so why should they?!

After searching Amsterdam all morning for another room, we had no choice but to return to ask for somewhere to sleep that night. After the experience we'd had I was so reluctant, but I'd rather the "security" of a hotel than sleep on the street. The lady who checked us out said she had a room - for 280 euros. That's right, in the space of 16 hours the room rate had increased by 200 euros. 200!! Unbelievable. When I questioned her about this and the fact we had paid 80 the night before, she shouted at me that this is the rate and I didn't have to take it.

Now, I am a hotel receptionist at home. I know how one should conduct oneself in the service and tourism trade, particularly as the first point of contact in an establishment. The "service" I received at the Globe Hotel is not how it should be done, regardless of how busy your hotel is, or how many people you have to serve every day.

Please, people. Save yourselves the trouble you will inevitably endure here! Go across the canal and stay at the Hotel Vijaya, where all the staff are pleasant, courteous, and actually seem to care about you having a good experience in Amsterdam. Oh, and they'll give you breakfast included in the room rate, which was the cheapest we paid in our 4-night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed in the 20 bed dorm which was more expensive than any other hostel I have stayed in, in Europe. The room was filthy but the bed was comfortable and the pillow quite plush. No lockers near or under my bed so I left my locked bag on my bed. The room was exceptionally hot, and noisy as you're in the red light district so its noisy all night til morning. The room was never locked but to gain entry to the hostel reception needs to buzz you in. The hallways and staircase are rundown, nothing pretty, and the bathrooms are nothing special either. Shared for male and female, small, hot. The staff were neither helpful nor friendly but they weren't rude either, just uninterested. No free breakfast here. On the ground floor is a bar and a pool/smoking room, there's also tables out the back on the canal. The hostel is in a great location to get around, everything is within walking distance and its close to central station. It's obviously in a seedy area but very safe, there's always lots of people around. If you want something a bit cleaner and a nicer area maybe look around the 9 Streets area or near the museums. If you want to be in the thick of the tourist area with many coffee shops, bars, restaurants and delights of the red light district and don't need a good night's sleep or care too much about cleanliness, stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel The Globe? Share your experiences!