“value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

You added Amsterdam Hostel Uptown to your Saves list
Amsterdam Hostel Uptown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 147, 1017 PZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel The Rookies) (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #118 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed at the Rookies for 3 nights. Rooms are basic, but had bathroom and basic amenities. Right of a nice shopping/restaurant/metro stop (leidesplein). Coffee shop right next door, sells drinks, desserts and plenty of pot. Friendly pot/travelers staying there, lots of smell but if your a smoker its fine, just open your window. Basic breakfast came with room. In a coffee shop district, but not in what most people think of as the red light district with the girls, thats a 15/20 minute walk. Nice to be a little out of the way tho, and plenty of things to do in the immediate area, van gogh, other big museum i cant spell, tulip market... all in appropriate hotel for a wild couple days in amsterdam.

Room Tip: they all seemed about the same, except one on top floor looked maybe a little bigger.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The hotel is very well located, close to Leidsplein. If you have large and heavy luggages, be prepared to take them upstairs. In my case, the reception desk man helped me and it was okay. Rooms smelled like cigarretes and bathrooms were in flood after a few minutes of shower. The bed is comfortable and the breakfast is nice. The staff in this hotel is very nice. I went in the winter, so I could not really enjoy the balcony outside. At nights, it was easy to hear noisy groups talking out loud. Anyway, the price is good in Amsterdam´s standards and it was okay for me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I said I would be back so here I am, arrived 22nd Nov & stayed till 24th, came back for Cannabis Cup with friends,my friends went onto "the mushrooms"(nightmare) & I stuck with the weed(oh yes!), this stay we had 2 (newly renovated & spotless rooms), both were renovated to a high standard.As ever, the staff are second to none.Free Wi-Fi in rooms & downstairs coffee shop still a nice bonus. As we say "I just can`t get enough" of this very friendly Hotel.Hoping to be back in March for a HOOT!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

=== The best value for your buck except the WiFi ===
Receptionists Lisa for the check-in and John for bfast + check-out were very customer-oriented and very nice. Emails quick to be responded.

My single room (a good deal at 65 EUR on booking.com) was excellent, recently renovated, practical and super clean, private toilet/bathroom efficiently designed, heaters heated up quickly and hard. No street noise problem (low season) but anyway, I usually don't care.
I noticed the carefull setup of the room and amenities for the coming guest (bed, towels, soaps and details).

The included bfast was basic but good and sufficient for me, and matches perfectly the low price I paid; John first asks you wether you want some eggs and how you like them and bring it within minutes; the bfast room is small but enough for me as I was alone is this low season however I wonder when it's fully booked... Howerver, usually the guests here are supposed to be "cool" (it should be mandatory)...

=== BAD ===
The WiFi didn't work at all. Using my smartphone, even close to the Router/Access Point at the reception with Lisa (who re-booted it for me), the hotel network didn't even appear in the network list... Same downstairs with the devices from their staff. A pity. I would have quoted 10/10 if the Internet was working. In such a small hotel, cabling by ethernet would not cost much and would generate a big plus in their business.
So... not really a bad deal compared the overall great quality/price. As long as you know in advance that you won't may be able to get on the net from the hotel, you can plan in advance to use public or private internet services (museums, Starbuck etc.).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Second stay at this hotel, and wont be the last. Got the same room we did the last time, and John gave us a good price, since we were returning customers :) Since last time the room had been painted, the windows changed, and the bathroom retiled. It looked really nice.
There were a lot of work going on in the building, so we guess it will look even better soon.

We didnt get to try the breafast this time, but we are sure that it tasted as good as it did the last time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here on 22/10/11 to 24/10/11;first time in this Hotel & will not be the last.wee John on reception was very helpfull & could not do enough for me.staff in downstairs coffee shop were also very good.My room was very clean & warm,bed was very comfortable too.Free wi-fi was a nice bonus.Location is spot on & anything you want to do is only a short walk away.Renovations have started & I was shown finished upgraded rooms(very nice). My return flight was at 21.45hrs from schiphol & I was able to hold room till 18.00hrs for a very small fee, this I really appreciated. As a frequent visitor to Amsterdam I cannot wait to return here to Rookies ,and I will always stay here in future.Thank you once again for everything.Glenn Scolley from Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Amsterdam Hostel Uptown? Share your experiences!