“WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED IN” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sphinx Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sphinx Hotel to your Saves list
Sphinx Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Weteringschans 82, Amsterdam 1017 XR, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #333 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
California, Maryland
“WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED IN”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I write to you at 4 in the morning the night after I came home from Amsterdam, scratching my bed bug bites that number around 40. Yes, this hotel has a bed bug problem, and No, they didn't do anything about it while I was there. Don't ever ever ever go to this hotel. Not only is it infested with bed bugs, upon my checking in there were numerous other problems that I encountered with my room. Firstly, the shower in the bathroom was not fully assembled and lay in bits and pieces making it difficult to shower. Secondly, there was no hot water for the shower until my second day as nobody bothered to give us an alternative or fix it that day. Thirdly, the door handle to the bathroom would just fall off if you pulled on it at all. If you are going to go to Amsterdam, then stay as far away from this place as you can...take the option of staying further out of the main part of the city if you are concerned with price and learn to ride the bus/tram/subway. They advertised cable TV and free wifi...but they charge you 5 or 10 Euro as a deposit just to get a remote to actually use it (it won't work otherwise). They also charge you a 10 Euro deposit for your damn hotel key...WTF? I loved Amsterdam but I LOATHE this place. I am seriously considering legal action to get my money back and reimbursement for medical treatment.

Room Tip: Heres a tip...go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE. Booked with an open mind because we could only book our desired hostel for two nights (the flying pig downtown, would HIGHLY recommend) so booked this one for an additional two nights. When we walked into our room we noticed the holes in the walls initially. Then the mould in the celilings, specially around the lights. And the shower walls where mouldy and the toilet was disgusting. After two hours of pleading with the staff for a refund we got moved to a 'better room' for the night. Which was equally disgusting AND IN THE BASEMENT. Felt like I was being watched the whole night. The breakfast was toast and coffee if you where lucky. We got a refund for our second nights stay and went into the centre and picked the first room we found. Location isn't ideal and the rooms are extremely over priced. DO NOT STAY HERE. No one deserves to have to stay a night in this hell hole.

• Stayed March 2013
Heraklion, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am afraid this is by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. The stuff was really rude. The rooms were really filthy. They rotated our towels between each room. I know that because we had two rooms and there was a stain on the towel of the other room and the next morning we had that towel we the same stain on. The breakfast was really nothing. The only good thing i have to say it is its location. But really better stay on a bench it will be better.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Where to start? This place was a serious dump:

1 - Most the staff were rude and unhelpful
2 - The prices are extorniate. Yes, I know Amsterdam is expensive but this place takes the biscuit!
3 - The location isn't great. Your around a 15 minute walk from the centre of Amsterdam
4 - The room are distugsting, stained bed sheets, walls falling apart, dirty toilets
5 - The stairs are extremely steep and quite frankly dangerous
6 - The breakfast is a joke - toast and coffee if your lucky

Overall this place is as bad as it gets, I seriously advise anyone thinking of booking here to not! There are plenty of other places you can stay in the dam.

The room across from where we were staying apparently didn't even have enough beds, just mattresses on the floor!

Room Tip: None of them!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to sleep, dont go to this place. My room only had a padlock on the door so it was impossible to lock the door from the inside. Everything is dirty and the pricess are laughably high. Beds are full of brown stains and the rooms are falling apart. The only good thing in this place was the location.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I booked for 13 nights and these were the worst nights of my life. Don't get me wrong, I am from Pakistan and I know what worst means. The staff were very unfriendly, absolute lack of communication skills. Breakfast was poor and the rooms untidy. However, the worst things were the bed bugs; whole lot of them. I left the hotel after 4 nights and shifted to somewhere else. They refused to refund the rest of money for the duration I wasn't going to stay. I developed hypersensitivity to bed bugs bite and had to take steroids for three months with 4 days of work loss.
I would stay in a trash bin but not in this hell hole.

Room Tip: Always read the reviews before you book a hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sphinx Hotel? Share your experiences!