“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Weber

You added Hotel Weber to your Saves list
Hotel Weber
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Marnixstraat 397, 1017 PJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #117 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed in The Weber at the end of Feb. Fantastic hotel & Concept. Firstly, yes the stairs are mightey steep and you may need to crawl on hand and knee if coming home from a late night, but there is a very comfortable bed to fall into at the end of it! The location is great and you can walk to pretty much everything. The hotel room was spotless, big,modern and great bathroom with lovely toiletries We also didn't find noise a problem and we were only on the second floor. The owner is very welcoming and goes out of his way to ensure you are not disturbed. We slept in one morning and instead of disturbing us to clean the room, he waited until we left. This is also why your bread is left outside the room in the morning. A really great little find in amsterdam and a bargain at €165 for a double room for 2 nights (thurs & fri), it isn't getting such great reviews for nothing!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

This hotel was absolutely perfect. It is modern, very clean, the service is wonderful and the breakfast included is so yummy. You can come and go as you please and rarely see anyone else. The stair cases are hazardous (but that’s just how it is in Amsterdam)! The hair drier works great so don’t even lug yours all the way there. The balcony is small, but big enough to fit two people out there to enjoy the lively streets. There is wireless internet, which was a life saver and it is such a great central location. We travel all over the world and really love nice hotels and this one is really a great value!

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

The Hotel Weber is the best kept secret in Amsterdam! Don't hesitate - just make your reservation because this place is perfect. My husband and I have stayed here twice, and will make sure to stay here again for all future stays in Amsterdam. I actually don't like the intrusiveness of normal B&Bs so don't normally stay at them (I don't like eating breakfast with a crazy cat lady! I like my privacy) - but this is really just a tiny hotel, not a B&B so no need to worry. The manager of this hotel is terrific - young and energetic, and gives you his number to call his cell day or night with any questions! The rooms are truly *huge* by Dutch standards. The rooms are immaculately clean, and the breakfast of bread with yummies in the fridge in the room is so good (and authentically Dutch). The free wireless internet is super fast and reliable. Ultra modern shower and decor, sink area with espresso coffee and a fridge, a flat screen TV with cable. There is literally nothing I would suggest this hotel changes - I love it here, and will continue to tell all my friends and family. Great value, so clean, and so modern. (Also, I read another review complaining incorrectly about this - they will indeed give you the bread the night before if you're going to be up and out early in the morning - you just need to ask.)

As background - my husband and I are both in our early 30s and are busy professionals, who travel quite a lot, and normally stay at upscale hotels. (And he's Dutch, I'm American, and we live in the US.)

About the stairs - come on now, this is Amsterdam and steep stairs are part of the experience! If you want to be insulated from "real" Dutch housing, stay at a boring Marriott and eat at McDonalds. If you want to feel like you've got your own fabulous apartment right in the city, with real Dutch hospitality (and real Dutch food for breakfast!), this is the place to be!

Wakefield/Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We booked this hotel having seen the positive reviews on here and were not disappointed. We paid £316 for a double room for 4 nights and it was well worth it.

Our room was number 6 which was up three steep flights of stairs. These stairs were the only downside of the hotel.

The room was really nicely decorated, though my partner wasn't too keen on the skull above the bed. The room was large with windows pretty much filling one wall. The bed was actually two singles pushed together, but this wasn't really noticeable.

The room had a TV with several English channels, desk, two stools, a chair, a wardrobe with (free) safe inside, a sink, a fridge and cutlery and crockery for two people.

Breakfast was provided each day and consisted of 2x croissants, 2x bread bun, 4x large bread slice, 2x liver paté, 2x soft cheese, 2x cheese slice, 2x ham slice, 4x chicken slice, 1x Filet Americain (seasoned raw meat spread which was quite tasty), 2x jam, 2x Nutella, 4x margarine, 2x cornflakes, 2x milk, 2x orange juice and 2x yoghurt. If we had eaten all this we wouldn't have eaten out at all! Whatever bread we didn't eat was taken away while we were out during the day.

The bathroom, consisting of sink, toilet, large mirror and shower in a wet room, was clean and well finished. Two towels and a facecloth were provided each and could be refreshed daily if wanted. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom which worked well.

The hotel is situated 1-2 minutes walk from the Leidseplein where there are lots of cafes, coffeeshops and restaurants. Trams 1, 2 and 5 go up to the Central Station/Damrak/Red Light area, which takes about 10 minutes.

Trams do go past the front of the hotel. We didn't find this a problem at all but if you are very sensitive to noise then a room at the back would probably be preferable.

Overall a gorgeous little hotel, excellent location, decent price. Would highly recommend it for anyone who can manage stairs and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2009
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

I was pretty excited about staying at this hotel. It looked like the rooms were large and modern, and they were, but over all I was a dissapointed with the place. My husband and I stayed for 5 nights and it's not the cheapest place. I had read in the reviews about the steep stairs but I didn't pay any attention. It's Holland right! I've been and seen twice before. Well, I ate my words. Those were the steepest most ridiculous stairs I've ever seen in my life and litterally "climbing" up and down them every day for 6 days sober or not was not only scary but a crazy work out. Not much fun at 3 in the morning. We were on the top floor. It was a real struggle to get luggage both up and down from there. I may have been happier with the place if we weren't on the top floor. You would think if you are staying at a place for 5 nights you would get one of the better rooms but apparently not. The place was clean enough but in 5 nights/6 days they did not change the sheets once. The sheets should have been changed after our first night there but each day we would come back and minimal cleaning was done and we had the same dirty sheets. I chose this hotel as it was near the Leidsesplein and the hotel I wanted to book was full (the Leidse Hotel - excellent hotel btw). The location is great but I wouldn't stay there again. The best part about the stay was the breakfast. Fresh bread and croisants left outside your door each morning. Yummy. The only thing about that was if your an early riser they don't deliver until 9 am and they won't put it out for you the night before. We had an early flight and missed out on our last day but the previous 4 days were great breakfast in bed days.

• Liked — Location & breakfast
  • Disliked — Stairs and service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Weber in Amsterdam recently, and overall we really liked it. It’s in a great location, with plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Most attractions are within walking distance, but there also is tram stop only a couple of hundred metres away so it’s really easy to get around.

The hotel itself is a beautifully renovated canal house. The stairs are steep as is the case for all canal houses. The rooms are very modern, spacious and spotlessly clean, the decoration is funky, and the breakfast deliciously European.

This is a small boutique hotel, so if you’re after all the services of a five star place then this isn’t for you - but if you’re after an authentic and fun Dutch experience, it’s perfect! It really is like a cozy home away from home.

*The only thing I wasn’t keen on – the animal skull used as decoration above the head. I don’t agree with sport hunting, so naturally I was uncomfortable with that*

• Liked — Style and location..
  • Disliked — Animal skull decoration..
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

What a fantastic little place, really unique and stands out from the crowd. I stayed for three nights this past week and have only positive comments about the Weber.
The room was very spacious and everything was in perfect condition. The flat screen TV and free wireless internet access were a real bonus.
The small fridge was stocked with prepackaged ham, turkey, and cheese, as well as butter, jam, and nutela. In the morning they would leave fresh-baked breads and croissants at around 9AM. Since I had to depart at 8AM for my meeting, they left bread at night, but did not include croissants. While they forgot to leave the bread one night, it was no big deal as there was plenty of left-over bread from the morning before.
The bathroom amenities were from Rituals (shampoo, moisturizing cream, body wash/gel) and the towels were thick enough and new looking. There was no convenient place to leave the soap or shampoo at arm level, so had to leave both on the floor; obviously just a slight inconvenience.
Along that line, the stairs are very steep and I was in room 5, on the 3rd floor. If I had a really large or heavy suitcase, it would not have been fun to head up or down with the suitcase. Certainly if you are a wheelchair user or have trouble walking this is the last place for you.
Room 5 was on the opposite side of the Weber bar which is open to 4AM. I could very faintly hear the music on Wednesday (I stayed Monday and Tuesday as well) and it did not bother me at all; I'm a light sleeper.
Highly recommend it; I paid EUR95 the first night, E80 the following two nights (plus 5% tax). A real bargain price and surely they could charge double during summer.
The location by the Leidesplein was perfect since several tram lines stop there.

• Liked — Comfort, location, value, uniqueness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Weber? Share your experiences!