“Nice hotel - Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amstelzicht

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amstelzicht to your Saves list
Hotel Amstelzicht
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amstel 104, 1017 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #121 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Ascot
“Nice hotel - Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel Amstezicht.

We were in Amsterdam for a football match (Europa League Final). We stayed at the Amstelzicht hotel for two nights. The hotel is located facing one of the many canals with just a 10-minute walk to Dam Square or the bars and night area to the east side of main drag, back towards the station. In fact it’s easy to just walk north and you will arrive in the red light area and night bar area. Rembrandt square is just to the south of the hotel, around the corner – turn right & right, a 3-minuyte walk. There are night bars there, and a large English Pub that is worth a visit (football on tv and good snack menu).

Back to the hotel - we had a triple room, which was located downstairs in like a half basement, or like a mezzanine level. Actually, one has to walk up half a flight of stairs to enter the hotel. Our room was down half a flight of stairs from the lobby area, so to speak. The room was basic, but did the job. There was a TV in the room, plus tea/coffee making facilities, but we didn’t try the tv or use anything. The room was clean and did the job.

The receptionist was helpful, although the older guy needed to get a sense of humour at first. But the girls were more than helpful with information. And were happy to make us a nice coffee while we waited for others in our party.

There isn’t a bar in the hotel, I don’t think, but that isn’t a problem as there are bars next door (even an Irish bar 2 doors down) - and we had breakfast around the corner in the English pub on the corner in Rembrandt Square.

All in all, the hotel does the job and is a reasonable price. We’d stay there again, so it must’ve been ok. Recommended.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are a bit dark. If there's just two of you try and get a canal facing room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
RD2012Manager, Manager at Hotel Amstelzicht, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Eric,

Nice you and your friends stayed in Amstelzicht for the finalEuropa League Final. Its a easy metro ride to the Arena and before and after the match you are at the best location in town staying in Amstelzicht, indeed everything is at your doorstep.

Funny how correct you describe the room level, you are totally correct, its not realy downstairs as entering the hotel you go up a few steps and to get to your room you go the same amound of steps down again. So its at the groundfloor. However i would not call the room "basic" but thats maybe very personal.

All our staff is always friendly and willing to help our guest with everything, also the night security, however they are there more for security than for the reception, but I will personally take care of this and instruct them to be more open minded.

Ones again thank you and please come back for the next foodball match, contact us directly so we find you the best room,

Take care,

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

For work or pleasure, my wife and I have visited many cities in Europe, and Hotel Amstelzicht is one of the nicest city-center hotels we have stayed in.

After deciding to book a double room with canal view, the process with Amstelzicht was very pleasant. A confirmation email was sent by the hotel, and when I replied asking to verify the canal view and inquire about early check-in, the response was courteous and quick.

My flight landed at 7:05 in the morning at Schiphol, and I made it to the Amstelzicht around 9:00am. The young man on duty (Roy?) was very friendly and helpful - he could see I was a little tired after my flight, and was able to let me check in at noon rather than wait until 2:00pm. He also took my suitcase to store it for me, gave me a map of the city, and helped me figure out the city's tram system. I walked the city for a few hours (including a couple of stops for coffee!), and returned at noon to find my room ready with my suitcase already inside - much appreciated given the steep staircase.

The room was very clean, with a small entryway and very tall ceilings. Unlike many city hotel rooms, there was enough space for my wife and I to move around together. Two upholstered chairs with a small table, a desk and chair, and coffee machine were in the room along with a wardrobe for storage in the entryway. The bathroom was also very clean and the water pressure good, although there was not much shelf/counter space. Oh well - a small detail when we saw the wall of windows that looked out upon the canal. The promised canal view really is amazing - definitely book one of the canal view rooms.

• Stayed March 2013
What a nice review, thank you for all the good descriptions, we always try to check in our guest as soon as they arrive, 8 AM, 10 AM 12 noon, aslong as there is an emty room will will check in our guest directly. But as check out time is 12 noon and we are mostly full everyday sometimes this is difficult, but indeed there is always fresh coffee, tea or water waiting for our guest. ( dont forget the famous chocolatchip cookies)

How you descripe the canal view suite: we saw the wall of windows that looked out upon the canal. , I like this, thank you, your room was 203, which indeed has very high ceilings and super large windows overlooking the canal.

Thank you for your review, greetings from Roy and we all hope to see you soon again,
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My family has spent the last 2 years exploring europe while my husband has a european assignment at work. It is not easy to find family friendly (4 person) accommodations in Europe, and this is why I picked this hotel. This is the worst hotel in all of our travels in europe. We started things off on the wrong foot when we arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a rude grumpy man. This hotel does have a good location, but that is all. As soon as we walked in I noticed the rodent noise machine on the wall. There was also a bin to put any food items you might have to not attract rodents. This hotel clearly has a large rodent problem. Also, our shower drain was completely clogged, so it was not possible to take more than a 1 or 2 minute shower without the drain overflowing all over the bathroom (which happened on every shower we took, and made a huge mess even when we were careful). We complained to the hotel staff and they did nothing. Also good to know, we were not in the main hotel building, which appeared to be much nicer than the one (a few doors down) that we stayed in. The pictures on the internet look NOTHING like our room. Our room was so small you could barely walk around the bed. Also, to put the icing on the cake, every night around 1 AM my husband and I would be awoken by music from the bar below. We tried using white noise but it didn't even touch the noise. You should really visit Amsterdam, it is lovely, just don't stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RD2012Manager, Manager at Hotel Amstelzicht, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.

I understand your situation, exploring Europe for 2 years with your family. While your husband has a European assignment at work. And finding a family friendly 4 persons accommodation. However I cannot agree with the accusation of being the worst hotel in Europe.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience you have had during your stay and by arriving in the hotel with the Night security which I would not refer to a ‘rude grumpy man’. I am very glad that you liked the location which is certainly not the only good thing about the hotel. Hotel Amstelzicht is a monumental house dating back from 1659, with more than 350 years of history. In total 21 rooms which includes the Quad room that you booked: This quad room are 40 m2 and are offering one bedroom with two single beds and one bedroom with 2 beds in an alcove, this rooms are perfect for those who want to stay at a great location for an affordable price, this rooms are decorated simple but nice. Room amenities are Minibar, I Phone Docking System, telephone, fauteuil, coffee and tea facilities, flat TV and Free WIFI and a private bathroom. All non-smoking quad rooms are reached by a characteristic Amsterdam stairway located in the annex building. About the pictures of the rooms is the same picture on the internet and the same room you booked. Regarding the bin, the hotel puts this in the rooms to prevent guests putting food all around the room. This has nothing to do with the hotel having a rodent problem, which is not true. It surprised us that you wrote that the reception has done nothing on the issue with the shower, The Reception takes the complaints seriously and has done its utmost to solve the problem. But the result was that there was no problem with the shower drain. After the second complaint from you the technician took a look at the drain, but everything was fine. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience you have had during your stay.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked this place because of the central location and the cheap price. The hotel was full and we were offered a room in the annex. I stress I am writing about the annex here. The hotel was fine and the staff helpful. We were then led down the road and entered through a small door between two buildings and up a small alley. The first room was on the ground floor and was acceptable enough. However later on during the evening the nightclub behind started up and the whole place shook until 4.00am. The heavy thump of the bass rattled the crockery in the kitchen. In the morning we asked to be moved and we put up on the top floor supposedly above the noise. Not true we had another night of heavy bass thumping. Access to the top floor was up a very narrow and steep staircase that would not be suitable for older or infirm people.

This would be suitable for youngesters on a low budget that will be spending their evenings in the club behind and therefore the noise would not affect them. The rooms were clean and the beds sort of comfortable. We will not be returning but as I said it would suit the younger traveller as it really is close to the action, too close!

I would repeat this is a review of the annex rooms.

Room Tip: Don't book the annex!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your compliments regarding the hotel and the staff. Your comments are important for us and will be kept in mind for improving the service and quality in our hotel.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience you have had during your stay due the noise of the nightclub. As I read the reception did its utmost to give you a nice stay by moving you to a room on the top floor. Unfortunately we cannot do much about the noise caused by buildings next to us, this has a lot to do with the life in the city. Therefore we offer earplugs in the rooms for guests who are sensitive to noise. The annex building that you mention is indeed for the Quad rooms and Apartments. In a 10 second walk between the main entrance of the hotel there are a entrance for the Quad rooms and a entrance for the apartments. The spacious quad and apartment rooms suitable for 4 persons are ideal for guests traveling in large groups/ families. For guests that prefer a standard room or suites we recommend the rooms in the main building. We are pleased to read that you were satisfied with the room and was able to enjoy Amsterdam, besides the inconvenience you have experienced with the noise.
Darmstadt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is ok, but not more. Its more like a good hostel.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is no parking at the hotel, but a parking service, which will take care about your car for 30 Euros/day (parking on the street is about 5 Euro/hour).
The rooms are clean and nice. But it is a little noisy during night (the room provides earplugs).

The location is excellent!

All in all the hotel is ok for a city trip, if you stay for one or two nights in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RD2012Manager, Manager at Hotel Amstelzicht, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
We’re sorry that you experienced the hotel as a hostel, which is not the case. Hotel Amstelzicht is a beautiful 4- star hotel located in the heart of Amsterdam City Centre offers spacious and comfortable rooms. Your beautiful words regarding the staff will be shared with the whole team.
We hope to welcome you once again in the near future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights, from the 25th - 28th May this year. When we arrived we were a little surprised at how dim the lighting was in the hotel but as it is a traditional canal-side town house you have to expect that as there are very few windows (being terraced). However they seemed to work with this 'mood' and lit the place quite romantically. Check in was very straight forward and we were asked if we needed anything like a taxi/directions etc which was friendly. We went upstairs to the first floor, the stairs are very narrow but not particularly steep - I mention this because although it states it on the hotel website, this really was not a struggle even with suitcases. In fact, I dared my boyfriend to jump/hop up the stairs and he was able to do it very easily at 6'3" lol.
The room itself was gigantic, it felt like a huge space. The only niggle we had was that we were given two single beds pushed together and two single duvets, rather than a double/king duvet to share. No big deal though and we both slept very well the whole time we were there.
The bathroom was also a good size and had a nice power shower, it was very prettily presented with the rolled up towels under the sink on a spa like bench.
The water was drinkable and we used this for the tea and coffee making facilities. That was one thing that I think needed changing - powdered milk, ew. We popped out and bought a little carton of milk and more tea bags because we seemed to run out of them so quickly. They also give you teeny, tiny espresso mugs/cups which is no where near big enough for a cup of tea! We ended up taking it in turns to have two cups each, wash them out and then the other person could do the same lol.
The funniest thing about this hotel/our room specifically, was that it is pointed out as one of the five dancing houses along this strip of canal (I think that's what it's called anyway, not sure of the history behind it) but it meant that loads of tourists came by on foot or on a boat and took pictures of it. This isn't an issue as there's netted curtains over the windows but we wound them up by posing in the windows and making people feel awkward about taking the photos haha.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would be more than happy to stay again, it is right behind one of the main squares so transport is good or you can meander up the canal for even more transportation links. Loved it!

Room Tip: Room 203 has lovely views of the canal (but you do have the "Hotel" sign outside your wind...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
What a beautiful title ‘Perfect location, lovely rooms and friendly staff! Winner!’

I will certainly share your review with the entire team. It is of great joy for us that you enjoyed your stay and what a wonderful description. It has made my day by reading that it was not a struggle to go on and off the stairs, and that your boyfriend could even jump/hop up the stairs and he was able to do it very easily. What a pity that you did not informed the reception about the bed. On request we can always make up de 2 separate beds as a double. We appreciate that you have informed us about the coffee / tea cups. We take this serious and will keep this in mind for changes in the future.
We hope to welcome you once again in the near future.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed several days in this small hotel, beautifully situated along the Amstel. I was lucky to have a room with a nice view on this river and surroundings. The room was spacious and clean, the bed, television and everything else was modern and worked well. The bath room was adequate and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful but forgot to clean my room on one occasion. I missed the possibility to regulate the temperature. Of course I was aware that no breakfast was served but this really is no problem as the hotel is very close to the well-known Rembrandtplein and streets with numerous restaurants, shops and terraces, offering anything and more you could wish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The hotel, an old canal house converted into an hotel, is perfectly located for visiting Amsterdam. From the Amsterdam Central Railway Station it takes about 12 minutes to get to the Rembrandtplein by tram, from there it is a maximal two minutes walk to the hotel.
The cost-quality balance of this hotel is favorable and I would certainly not hesitate to book this hotel again when returning to Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RD2012Manager, Manager at Hotel Amstelzicht, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.

It is nice to read that the room satisfied to your expectations. In the hotel we serve a small breakfast on request. This consist out of coffee or tea, juice and a roll or croissant. For a full Breakfast we can recommend Restaurant Brug34, located 75 meters from the Hotel offers a special "Amstelzicht" Full Breakfast for 9.50 euro. We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced regarding the cleaning of your room.
We are happy that you considered it the right decision to choose our monumental hotel for your visit amongst the wide choice available in Amsterdam. And that the hotel contributed to a pleasant stay in our country. We will be happy to welcome you once again in Hotel Amstelzicht.

Been to Hotel Amstelzicht? Share your experiences!