“Good for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hotel Parklane

You added Amsterdam Hotel Parklane to your Saves list
Amsterdam Hotel Parklane
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Parklaan 16, 1018 ST Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)   |
Ranked #142 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Good for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Found this hotel with easy following the directions on the website.... getting the number 9 tram from central station which stops not 2 mins walk from the hotel. The hotel is very conveniently located just outside of the city centre which is about a 20 minute walk from Dam square or 30-40 mins if your a slow walker and looking in the shops..... 30 min walk to central station,, but if you like walking it is all very walkable.... the hotel has pretty steep stairs so my advice would be don't take a heavy case as you carry it yourself..... I had a single room on the first floor which is adequate size for 1 person... the room was very clean and tidy with TV and tea and coffee... my only slightly negative comment would be that in this room the bathroom is very small and if using the toilet you have the sink almost in your face... but hey I managed ok,,,, it also has a small shower which worked fine with very hot water....... I didn't have the breakfast there as I wanted to get out and about early and breakfast does not get served until 0800. but no real problems and I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

A friend had booked this hotel for me and I was not sure what to expect based on the price but was pleasantly surprised. I had a room with a single bed thankfully on the first floor (2nd floor to Americans) and the stairs were quite steep (but not as bad as the "ladder" steps I later encountered in a B and B). My room looked out onto the back garden and was more than sufficient for its purpose. There was a fridge and a kettle with coffee, tea, etc. I asked for some regular milk on the second day and was given some without any trouble. The owners were wonderful and the breakfast buffet is great. I needed one more day to try the selections I had missed! Luis checked us in and was there the next day and was very pleasant. The only problem I encountered was not the owner's fault as I was woken at 4am by the people in the next room who had been partying and it sounded as though they were in my room. The bathroom was small but more than adequate for a couple of nights. The tram stop is just around the corner but I discovered that walking into the city center was very easy. Do not expect the Ritz but I found out it was a huge step up from the B and B s I stayed at on the rest of the trip!
I would definitely book there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors (my friend was on the top floor and it was a bit of a hike especi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Extremely convenient location! You will not wake up from the city noises, but from the birds' singing in the park. At the same time, city center is in the 15 minutes walking distance (need to go through the Red Light District). Zoo (sometimes parrots fly from there to the park), Rembrandt House and the Hermitage are also nearby. There is a market on Waterlooplein, supermarket, metro and tram stop - in the 5 minutes distance.
In general, I would recommend this hotel for the families with children because its quiet, calm and cozy. Room for 3-4 people on the top floor (number 8 if I'm not mistaken) is quite spacious, plus it has a large bathroom, nice view, fridge and kettle. But keep in mind that the stairs are very steep!!! Be careful and do not take a lot of luggage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Absolutely appalled by the service from the staff at this hotel. Accused me and two of my friends of having an unclean room when we left and WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION took 100 euro off the debit card the hotel was paid on. This was NOT the case we are 3 girls who are very clean and tidy. And this is the best bit. We didnt even receive clean bed sheets towels or cups each day !!!!! THEIVES is all we can label this group of people.

ALSO IT TELLS US WE ARE 10 MINUTED FROM AMSTERDAM SQUARE. THIS IS CLEARLY A LIE AS IT IS A GOOD 20 MINUTES! IN A TAXI.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HotelParklane, Eigenaar at Amsterdam Hotel Parklane, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We think that it is sad that you have decided to utter your feelings trough the public internet instead of the email, but we would like to tell our side of the story too.

We are sorry that your stay was not as comfortable as you had wished.

The persons doing the cleaning in Hotel Parklane have their working hours from
10.00 to 14.00 hours. They have tapped your door several times each day but they were refused access to the room because you were still in your beds until late afternoon.
After you left in the late afternoon / early evening, the receptionist
himself (which it is not his job) has changed the towels in your room and emptied the bin.

You claim to be such tidy girls, but your make up in our carpet and towels and the ripped sheet tell a different story.
You have received a specification/invoice of the done damage and we would like to add that we always put the damage with the people whom cause it, so that we do not have to confront the guests that use our facilities in a normal manner, with these costs.

If you would have had any complaints regarding the cleaning, which is done every day, it
would have been better to let us know during your stay so that we would have been able to discuss (a) solution(s) with you.

We would like to stress that 3 girls your age, visiting Amsterdam to party should by any means do so and especially the Amsterdam Dance Event is suited for that.
What they should not do is blame things on the personal of Hotel Parklane for things they did or did not do when they had only themselves to blame.

PS: our hotel is in the Center of Amsterdam. We claim to be within 10 minutes walking distance from the Rembrandt square and 10 minutes walk from the red light district.

Google can tell you that Dam square is 14 minutes walk from our hotel.

You claim that a taxi took 20 minutes to take you there, of course there is not a lot what we can do with your claim....... maybe you should have walked, you would have been a lot quicker..... :-)
We do understand that your heels where probably not the best walking material, but please don.t blame google for that :-)

We still would like you to remember the Hotel Parklane as a perfect place to discover Amsterdam so we therefore would like to invite you back to give it a second chance and then you can use the charged amount as a discount voucher on your next stay.
*This offer is valid until the end of March 2014 and only to be used by you personally.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is on a busy main street with tram services running till late. Even with the window closed, I could not sleep for most of the night as I had the room facing the main street. If you have lots of luggage or are not fit, do not take a room on the 2nd floor. The plus side is that the staff is very helpful and public transportation to the city is on the door step.

Room Tip: If you prefer a sgood night sleep, do not take the rooms facing the main street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at Hotel Parklane. I was travelling on my own in Amsterdam and stayed in the single room; I recommend requesting a room facing the street as you get a lot of great sunshine in the afternoon and it overlooks a small park.

The staff were friendly and spoke English fluently. The room and bathroom were clean and tidied up nicely everyday. The room and bathroom were on the small end, but perfectly fine for resting in the evening (TV had english channels).

My only recommendation to the hotel is to have extra sheets in addition to the comforter. Also be prepared to climb stairs.

Overall, a great place to stay - easy walk to city center or tram/bus stop, good continental breakfast, decent speed WiFi, and a safe quiet, comfortable room to recharge at night. Street noise and neighboring room noise is minimal, although I could hear a little bit of a loud argument in neighboring room one night.

Room Tip: Request a room facing street; it will get great sunshine and have a nice view of the small park.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Parklane 5 nights April 2013. Weather was mid-50s-70 w/ rain.
In planning this trip, I looked for a family-run B&B w/ private bath; for ~100 euro/night; 2 stars and up; in this area to be near everything (shops, food, central attractions, transportation) and my daughter at UvA. I hoped for friendly, quiet and clean, and a comfortable bed. (I was not concerned w/ walking up/down stairs or having social/lounge areas etc.) ALL my criteria were satisfied completely. I’m 56, female, reside mid-west US.
Details: Excellent communication with hotel staff via email and in person (kind suggestions and advice were much appreciated when planning my stay). Single room overlooked the quiet street and a park which I enjoyed since I travelled alone. Yes, there was the expected city noise like occasional ambulances. (But nothing like, say, New York.) Room was 3x wider than my single bed, easily accommodated desk w/ chair, comfy chair, mini fridge, large shelves in plenty-big closet, full length mirror. Reasonably spacious bathroom was clean and functioned perfectly. Something I also appreciated (and noted since it’s not common in many US hotels), the lighting was excellent in bedroom and bathroom - included a wall-mounted reading light at your shoulder over the (comfortable!!) bed. Breakfast and dining room were just right - breads, sliced meats and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, jams and pâté, croissants, and, of course, good coffee and teas. And I loved the fast! hot-water pot in my room for herbal tea at night. Since my departure was early morning, the staff made me a boxed full-breakfast the night before... saved me on the trains! Hotel Parklane's location was perfect for me. Walk... or bike, cab, tram, all nearby. From a tourist’s perspective, I feel Amsterdam is fairly expensive; thus my mark for “Value” in this review. I know no other 2-star hotels in Amsterdam for comparison, however, so this may be harsh. Berlin (also visited this trip) offered similar accommodations for much less, and Lausanne.. similar to Amsterdam.
Conclusion: I certainly recommend Hotel Parklane. It will be my first contact when returning to Amsterdam. Thank you again, Marjika and company! -Marty P.

Room Tip: Discuss your needs with hotel staff when booking!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo