“I recommend 'my home-away-from-home'!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hotel Parklane

You added Amsterdam Hotel Parklane to your Saves list
Amsterdam Hotel Parklane
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Parklaan 16, 1018 ST Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #199 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Madison, Wisconsin
“I recommend 'my home-away-from-home'!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Parklane 5 nights April 2013. Weather was mid-50s-70 w/ rain.
In planning this trip, I looked for a family-run B&B w/ private bath; for ~100 euro/night; 2 stars and up; in this area to be near everything (shops, food, central attractions, transportation) and my daughter at UvA. I hoped for friendly, quiet and clean, and a comfortable bed. (I was not concerned w/ walking up/down stairs or having social/lounge areas etc.) ALL my criteria were satisfied completely. I’m 56, female, reside mid-west US.
Details: Excellent communication with hotel staff via email and in person (kind suggestions and advice were much appreciated when planning my stay). Single room overlooked the quiet street and a park which I enjoyed since I travelled alone. Yes, there was the expected city noise like occasional ambulances. (But nothing like, say, New York.) Room was 3x wider than my single bed, easily accommodated desk w/ chair, comfy chair, mini fridge, large shelves in plenty-big closet, full length mirror. Reasonably spacious bathroom was clean and functioned perfectly. Something I also appreciated (and noted since it’s not common in many US hotels), the lighting was excellent in bedroom and bathroom - included a wall-mounted reading light at your shoulder over the (comfortable!!) bed. Breakfast and dining room were just right - breads, sliced meats and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, jams and pâté, croissants, and, of course, good coffee and teas. And I loved the fast! hot-water pot in my room for herbal tea at night. Since my departure was early morning, the staff made me a boxed full-breakfast the night before... saved me on the trains! Hotel Parklane's location was perfect for me. Walk... or bike, cab, tram, all nearby. From a tourist’s perspective, I feel Amsterdam is fairly expensive; thus my mark for “Value” in this review. I know no other 2-star hotels in Amsterdam for comparison, however, so this may be harsh. Berlin (also visited this trip) offered similar accommodations for much less, and Lausanne.. similar to Amsterdam.
Conclusion: I certainly recommend Hotel Parklane. It will be my first contact when returning to Amsterdam. Thank you again, Marjika and company! -Marty P.

Room Tip: Discuss your needs with hotel staff when booking!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The location is definitely a winner here, as this establishment lies on a fairly quiet road. For UK readers, I suggest you think family-run B&B rather than hotel - there is no bar, no lift, no lounge area, no room service, etc. At 120 Euros per night, the price is definitely hotel, although this may just be Amsterdam-specific (we found Amsterdam very expensive). There were tiny chocolate eggs at reception though and we did get one left on our pillows most days, which was nice.

The room was fine: clean and tidy as one would expect, the twin beds were comfy, tv was grainy on several channels but did get BBC1 and 2. There was a useful fridge (not a minibar) in the room, but the lighting in the bathroom for poor for shaving. The windows were ok, but were left open after cleaning one day and I heard every ambulance going along the larger road to the side overnight. That left me tired that day. The staff did close it the moment we mentioned it to them.

This is no hotel for the infirm or aged. As other reviewers noted, the Dutch "enjoy" very steep steps. These must be treated with care, and I was very wary lugging suitcases up and down them - no lifts here.

The staff are super. All very helpful and informative, and there is a large display of discount coupons and maps at reception. Very useful.

Breakfast was a mixed bag. There is no "Full English" cooked breakfast here, but the choice was good on day 1. However, the behaviour of other Dutch guests (stealing bread/rolls and cheese/ham for lunch) left less of a choice on the other 2 days. The management should perhaps discreetly state somewhere that this is not allowed. Some guests could also be very slow to choose what to have - I found this frustrating but it didn't bother my wife.

Wi-fi worked very well in the breakfast room, less so in our bedroom on the second floor. Parklane reception states wi-fi is "limited". However, Amsterdam has free wi-fi almost everywhere (cafes, bars, restaurants, etc) so it was really easy to keep in touch with home.

Pros: Friendy, quiet location. Good breakfast. Clean rooms. Free wi-fi
Cons: Steeeeeeeep stairs. Noisy if windows left open. Thieving guests reduced breakfast choice. Bathroom lighting was too dim.

Overall, I think we made a good choice staying here, as we both slept well and felt secure. I would be heppy about staying here again, but the steep stairs and price need to be factored in, so we may try somewhere else next time just for a change.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The rooms and bathroom have recently been renovated, they were clean and spacious. However, the windows are unisolated, so it was cold in the night. We could see a couple of green (wild) parrots on the trees outside...amazing that they survived this winter.
The staff is friendly and helpful, and the breakfast room is very cosy. The only negative aspect is the freshness of various breakfast products (only bread were toasts from plastic bags and the cheese were dry).

• Stayed March 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Title says is all really. Not too far from the city centre, and upon arriving Sarah told us all the hot spots and how to travel around. The transport system in Amsterdam is very user friendly and easy to understand and the cheapest way to quickly get around.
Breakfast was filling and served well in the dining room and the wifi connection was excellent in our room. Our room was a quadruple room sharing with 4 lads aged 25-27, there was enough room to move around and the beds were comfy. Only problem was the en-suite bathroom upon arrival had a foul smell but this was cleaned and sorted within a couple of minutes of notifying the staff. It was just some drainage problem and not a big issue. May visit there again as its away from the noise of the city centre but wouldn't mind staying in the centre at the same price and comfort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A small, non-chain hotel, with only about a dozen rooms, hosted in an old dutch house. The location is good: the city center is still within walking distance, but the place is a bit away from a the noise- Tram 9 gets you up to the train station if needed. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included- the buffet can not compete with big hotels, but the breakfast room is very cosy, and the staff is always immediately replenishing the breakfast supplies, even after the official breakfast hour. The rooms themselves (including bathroom) seem to have undergone a major makeover recently. Everything looked new or was in very good shape. Beds are of good quality. The only thing that's not new are the windows: old wood frames with single glazing that keep neither the noise nor the cold out. Concerning the noise, I must say that I was still able to get some good sleep during the weekend nights, because not many cars pass by that neighborhood at night (this was my reason for choosing this particular hotel). On Monday morning, however, there was again enough traffic to wake me up at 7 am. Should I go there again, I would try to see if it's possible to get the room facing the nice green yard behind the hotel- perfectly quiet.

Some practical hints for the surroundings (I actually like this more quiet district): The botanical garden is literally across the street, and despite its rather small size, it has a rich collection to offer. There are some Bars and restaurants one block South, and during the night, they're frequented by the locals (during the day by the zoo visitors). If you don't want to keep up with all the touristy busyness downtown at dinner time, give these places a try.

Room Tip: If you are noise-sensitive, try get the room with south orientation. This will probably be the most...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The single room was really small, but it suited my purpose. The wi-fi had some little problem in my room, however it worked really fine in the dining room downstairs, which I was allowed to access freely.
For the rest: the hotel is in an optimal location. Close enough to the center (a 15 minutes walk or a couple of metro stops), but outside the fuzz of downtown. AND mostly a real great thank you to the whole staff. Exceptionally friendly and professional.They even anticipated on Sunday morning breakfast by an hour, to allow for us marathoners the early leave!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to fellow travellers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Hotel is located close to centar of Amsterdam (few minutes with tram, 15 minutes by walk), rich breakfest, beautifull prk cross of hotel, very close to ZOO, very nice restaurant next to hotel, god rooms with very comfortable beds, very quit area with lot of green...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Hotel Parklane? Share your experiences!