“Clean, great location, very small!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Max

Save Saved
You added Hotel Max to your Saves list
Hotel Max
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hemonystraat 7 | near Stadhouderskade, Amsterdam 1074 BK, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #266 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Clean, great location, very small!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Ok, so I read the reviews before I left for this hotel (after I'd already booked it) and I was dreading arriving after some of the comments I'd read. When arriving I was sent to a different hotel to collect the keys (really, it was about 100m away so not an issue) and after check in let myself into the room.

It was small, but clean and although in much need of some moderisation and redecoration, nowhere near as bad as some tourists described. There were no mouse droppings or nests in the bed that I saw or heard and there were clean towels and cleaning offered.

My only slight grumble was that I couldnt sit on the toilet AND close the door (anyone with knees would have the same issue) so dont stay in a room with someone you're not comfortable with (or at least comfortable enough with to ask they leave the room or turn the TV up loud)... Other than that, the shower was nice and hot, the room was clean and the location was perfect - only a 5 minute walk to rembrandplein and a 2 minute walk to a tram stop.

In comparison to other hotels in the area, I have paid more and recieved less. This hotel was cheap for Amsterdam (general rule of thumb in the dam is 100 euros per night, 150 per night for big events) so for what I paid, I really cannot grumble. It wasnt the hilton, but I didnt pay for the hilton!

I would probably stay there again as the same price bracket would buy you shared rooms in hostels which are not an alternative for me.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in had paper thin walls but I think I was the one coming in at 6 in the morning- I...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
marcelscheepstra, Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for this great review. We are a smalll family hotel. We give the best compatible price in relation with the services we give.

We finalised a lot since you were in the hotel. New carpets, new free WIFI system etc.

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Worst hotel in my 43 years of traveling around the world. Even China worst hotel provided better service. All these while, I have yet to come across a hotel (or even motel) that does not give its guest the change of fresh towel everyday. Even in my own home, we changed bath towel every day. There is no cleaning services in the room nor do they wash the room toilet. They want to charge extra fees for these services. I paid a service hotel rate and they gave me a match box room for the first two days without ant service at all. There was no cupboard and we had to hang all our used clothing all over the room. There is no flask to boil hot water in the chilling weather and no drinking cup given. The room door does not have double lock making us to use luggage to block the door during the sleeping hours and sleeping in fear. The toilet seat cover was cracked and the toilet, cement finishing is too small with coked water during bathing time and we have to ensure running water from the bath area does not get into the room.

We asked for a double bed but was given a twin beds, one near the window and the other one near the toilet. There is no reception service after 4 pm. Therefore, when we had two bad experiences whilst there - someone kept knocking at our window, we could not talk to anyone. We were took to seek assistance in another hotel, 5 min. walk to another hotel in the cold of the quiet night. Who dare to go out at that time of the night? I have to agree that all the staff are very polite and friendly, but being a tourist we hardly meet them. Therefore, operating a lodging house, the most important is the service - fresh towel everyday, an electrical water flask for boiling hot water and with drinking cups, clean the room everyday (or at least upon request) to prevent rodents and other insects in the room. I was told there are rodents around and had to take extra care not to leave food in the room exposed at all time.

It was based on their advertisement that there is breakfast available that we booked the hotel, but after confirmation we were told that it was not included. We have to specially book room that include breakfast. Why have such situation? Why not allow people to choose what they want on a yes or no boxes before quoting the price. This is a situation where we expect room service as in normal hotel, when we booked, but were non and not told earlier. Whereas they advertised that there is breakfast, but were denied after we booked. . A lot of false impression given.

In the advertisement, they also indicated there is an airport transfer, again this not true. From Hotel to airport, they will book a taxi for the guest. This is what they called shuttle service.

I strongly feel that the country authorities should re look into the hotel facilities extended to hotel guests for existing for so called hotel and look into the service structure before renewing or issuing fresh licenses. If this is not carried out soon, the hotel industry in AMS will surely get a bad name because a few bad hats.

Also in booking a hotel thro the Internet, I realized a worrying situation. One advertisement does not reveal name of hotel or its location. They gave only call numbers. When I checked with the company, they replied that they will reveal the name and location only after ones confirmed the booking and paid up. (No refund if not satisfied). The same goes when I was there and approached a tourist shop on hotel availability, this is exactly what the man told me. Is this how Holland runs it tourist industries - do not know what I am paying?

Richard Tay

Room Tip: Check and double on whether breakfast is included, is there room cleaning and bath towel changing se...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we were advised that we go the no breakfast(yes we booked with no breakfast) but no clean( it didn't state this in the booking information) rate, which meant that the 4 days we stayed out room was not going to get cleaned during our stay. I know we are on a budget but this should have been advised when booking. We booked a double room which was two single beds pushed together and one was not a proper single bed, but a fold out bed as it creaked every time you breathed, made for a noisy and sleepless night. The remote control for the TV was not the right one. Our door looked like the lock had pulled off and there was such a big gap around the door, the hallway light came in all night? This made it feel unsafe to the point I put our heavy suitcase against the door at night. There was no rooms to open both suitcases so we had to co-ordinate packing etc. We were told to pay in cash when we got there but also had out credit card charged as well with the total amount, which over a week to reverse, after I emailed the hotel. Plus side is they responded to my email about the charge quickly and resolved after that but it did take time. I think for the money we paid this hotel was grossly overpriced.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Like mould? Love the smell of damp? Then this is the hotel for you.

The smell hits you when you walk through the front door and it just gets worse from there.

My room was a shed out the back that had mould on the walls and a mouse trap under a chair.

I didn't see any mice, though. They've probably got more sense than to stay at Hotel Max.

It's massively overpriced (700 Euros for four nights, although I was staying during IBC, a large convention at the RAI) and even then they wanted another 8 euros to clean the room.

The worst hotel I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Disgraceful. The room was a matchbox, the bed was terrible. Not even a cleaning service, there was only one towel for two people, the non smoking room stunk of cigarets. And it wasn't a cheap price either.

• Stayed September 2013
Tampere, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Absolutely terrible hotel. We had an awful stay: staff was very rude and unfriendly, rooms were ugly and super uncomfortable, bathrooms were so tiny that it was impossible to sit on the toilet... Moreover, it was over-priced. Location isn't the best for Amsterdam either.
I would never recommend this hotel for anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Max? Share your experiences!