“A historical place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Van Gelder Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Van Gelder Hotel
Save Saved
You added Van Gelder Hotel to your Saves list
Damrak 34, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #218 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
“A historical place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

A very good hotel. Best thing that this building was built 1564 which makes you feel that you are staying in a historical place.
I tried a room with a private toilet and its very good and very clean too, it has 2 beds and a wardrobe and a desk with a chair and a small tv, even the bathroom is clean and has the needed amenities... wat else do i need more than this ;-)
The location of the hotel is gorgeus, only 5 mins walking to the central station and 5 mins walking to Dam sq. also 2 mins walking ti the ref light district.
Beneath the hotel a tour and tickets office where u can ask for any tour in Amsterdam, also the tour bus and the canal cruise right accross the hotel. There are amazing restaurants beside the hotel with different cuisines (Latin, Italian, Arabic, Turkish, French... etc). There is a big store of C&A on your way from the hotel to Dam sq. for shopping.
Next time i go to Amsterdam i will not be hesitated to stay in this hotel.

Michael
Cairo, Egypt

• Stayed September 2012

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

To be fair, this place does have something good: central, covenient location. 5 mins walk to central station, red light district, shopping area. So good food, pub and entertainment is really not a problem. And the price is really cheap for the location at EUR85 a night (excluding brwakfast). But that's it. The rest is rather horrible. I'd say it's the worst ever hotel I've stayed. I couldn't wait to get out of it and would delay going back to the hotel as much as I could.

For a start, the whole place stinks weed in and out. Must have been exposed to that substance for years that the smell permeates just about any surface. When checking in, I was told that I could smoke as long as the window was open. Didn't think about it much until I walked through the carpeted corridor and saw the room. The only place I didn't feel as dirty is bathroom, just because tiles don't absorb the stink. Humid summer weekend might have made it worse.

Next thing that bothered me was the noise. I consider myself as fairly tolerant to inconvenience but it was just beyond me. Thin walls and door really don't hold up much of the noise. Pub next door operated till late. Cleaners with big Henry hoover early in the morning. People opening and closing doors all the time. Mysterious knocks at midnight. Not sure who that was, but it had caused me disturbed sleep fretting if the door somehow got unlocked.

Staff/owner weren't exactly sweet, smiling bunch but that's alright until one morning I heard a conversation between the owner lady and one guest. The guest asked for her room key to get in and was told that all her stuff has been moved to another room because the sink leaked. The guest was furious as it dawned on her that her money, mobile phone etc were also moved without permission. After that, I always took my valuables with me and locked everything else in my suitcase.

The room itself is of decent size, with some good English TV channels. Furniture and design is very poor, but you should really forgive this with the price charged. Bedsheets, towels looked a bit old but clean. Having said that, my back and legs felt a little itchy in the bed perhaps bed bugs but won't make such accusations given my partner was alright. No hairdryer, no safety box, free wifi available in reception area.

You don't need to give your card details when booking but need to pay in full when checking in.

All in all, a terrible stay. In hindsight, I would have paid a bit more or gone further say to Jordaan for a nicer room. It has somewhat tainted my memory of holiday in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I arrived in Amsterdam Centraal at Midnight and was leaving at 7:00 am with no pre-booked accomodation, luckily they had a room available but it was a horrible experience. i wanted to sleep for 6 hours i barely slept for 3. walls are extremely thin you can hear everything through them as if people are in your room, space is tiny and light makes it creepy, tiny bed and dirty cigarette burnt bedsheets i had to sleep on my scarf and use my jacket as a cover. i wouldnt recommend it unless you only need space to keep your belongings and to be central and pay little. it's a 2 minutes walk from the Central station and 3 minutes walk to Dam square i guess thats the only positivity about this hotel (doesnt classify as a hotel btw barely a hostel)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here in Aug '04 as part of my Olympic vacation. Never been to Europe before and my flight was set for in and out of Amsterdam cause it was the cheapest price around. Grabbed the train from the airport and it dropped me in the center of Amsterdam around 20 mins later. Arrived at Centraal and walked out and tried to orient myself as to where I was supposed to go. Luckily found a map out front and kind of just followed the crowd. A couple of minutes later found myself walking down the Damrak. Did my money exchange, walked around to see what was around, and then set out to find the hotel. Had a little bit of a hard time finding the numbers, but eventually got the hang of it...there was just so much signage to weed through.

Finally found the hotel and went up the stairs to the reception area (that was a first for me, but is fairly typical in older buildings in Europe). The reception was basic and simple and old world decor. Lots of wood. My first impression was OK...maybe the rooms are a little better. So got my key and went to the room. Wow!! I don't know how they got a bed in there. As a matter of fact the door only opened half way before it hit the bed. There was a desk which I could use while sitting on the bed. The bed was worn down but not bad enough not to sleep in, which I was able to do for a grand total of probably 3 hours. There was a big window which I needed to have open because there was no AC, just a small desk fan. Of course, that let in all the noise from the surrounding pubs and restaurants. The neighbors were also rowdy. Made a mental note to bring along ear plugs next time. There was a small sink in the room and the bathroom was a common one shared by all on the floor. It was not certainly not what I expected but definitely an experience I'll remember.

For the price, it had it's good and bad. Might even consider staying in the area, if not here, again knowing what I know now.

Room Tip: If you have any degree of claustrophobia, get the largest room you can.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012 via mobile

I knew this hotel was going to be of a decent standard, as friends of mine had stayed here and enjoyed its many benefits. It's location is perfect I must say, a little noisy towards the end of the day but that's expected, and the windows do a good job of blocking out all the hustle and bussle. It's very close to all tourist attractions, cafes (weed kind), restaurants, shops, tour guides, etc. Everything is within walking distance, but if u are the kind who prefers to let others do the work for you, then I suggest the taxi bikes. You read it right it, a little carriage thing with a cover over it powered by sheer leg power :D It's great fun, and allows you to see Amsterdam from a different perspective; Amsterdam is incredibly busy on the streets so be alert all the time. Tourists stand out like a saw thumb!

The owners were very nice and welcoming, with very attractive rates. I paid €100 for 2 nights for 2 people, you do the math! The room was perfect size for our intentions ;) The room was cleaned twice to a good standard, as well as clearing up our mess! The communal shower and toilet was sufficient, and served it's purpose.

All in all, this hotel offers what I consider to be substantial benefits over many other hotels.

• Stayed February 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this hotel in august 2011. We were very surprised with the location of the hotel as it was 5 mins walk from the main train station and in the heart of the city! It was also close enough for us to visit some of the main attractions without any headaches. Room was clean and service was good. A nice place to do what you need to do without staying there too long.

• Stayed August 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the heart of the action on the Damrak and a very short walk from the Red Light District. The neighborhood is loud but that is to be expected. One thing North Americans might find a little weird is that you leave your key at the hotel when you leave your room. The staff were helpful, and would tell you where to find the information if they didn't know. Another heads up, the stairs are incredibly steep, almost like climbing a ladder... 4 sets of them if you are staying on the top floor and you have to drag your bags all the way up.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Van Gelder Hotel? Share your experiences!