“I wouldn't stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
You added Hotel Brouwer to your Saves list
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #98 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Honolulu, Hawaii
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We just returned from our 12th stay at Hotel Brouwer in Amsterdam. We spent 4 nights in the Breitner room on the north side of the second floor. We've stayed in all but one of the hotel's 8 rooms. The Breitner (all rooms are named after Dutch painters) is quite nice. All rooms have a view of the Singel canal. The owner and staff are all very nice, everyone speaks English, and the location is great. We brought our bikes and biked around Amsterdam one day and another we trained to Haarlem then biked back along the canals and fields. It's a wonderful way to see Holland and the cities.

As the title says, this is the only place we stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We've been at Brouwer for 3 nights.
We choose this hotel because it is near the station, situated on a canal and the reviews are mostly positive.

Posive points:
The reception was very nice and cordial. We were late and we were afraid the reception would be closed. Hopefully, the man working there that night was waiting for us.
The view on the canal from each room is beautiful. The room are large and clean. The breakfast is good (not exceptional) but with no variety.

negative point:
The double bed was in fact 2 single beds pushed together. The mattress was too soft and dug in the middle so we didn't sleep very well.
I knew the situation was near the red light district but in fact there is red light windows on Singel street and on the streets around. It can be disturbing for some, especially if you are with children. Just be award that walking to the hotel you will cross red windows.
We could not access internet with wifi from our room, but there was a computer available for guests.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed here because it was on the canal and near the train station. I thought that the hotel was perfect for me. It's noisy, but nothing that some ear plugs won't resolve. My room was small, but had a window on the canal with desk that I could sit at and upload my photos. The Internet wireless worked well. I was there the day of the World Cup Parade and enjoyed seeing some of the boats go past my window. Breakfast was okay, but nothing outstanding. The staff was helpful and friendly. The elevator worked fine while I was there. The steps are very steep. There are some red lights near by, but there is a great restaurant for Belgian food one canal over. It was an easy walk to the train station. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Buckinghamshire, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed here for one night while at a conference in Amsterdam. The proprietor is very friendly and the location is outstanding - right in the center, 5 minutes or so walk from both Dam square and the central train station.

The problem with this place is the rooms. They are very clean, but the one I had was incredibly noisy - the street all the rooms overlook is busy all night - so I didn't get more than a couple of hours' sleep. And the curtains in the room were too small for the windows, so once it got light at about 4.30am the room was flooded with light.

So while the hotel is very quaint and all that, a hotel where you get no sleep is not much use at all, so I won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Last month I spent a week at the Brouwer ~ I've lost count of how many times I've stayed there over the years. But I wouldn't stay at any other hotel.

The Brouwer, although tiny, has everything I want in a hotel: a great room with good private facilities. A pleasant location and view. Friendly staff and a breakfast that sets you up well for a days sightseeing.

It is a small hotel but it's full of history and character : even the crooked windows and floors have their own charm.

It is very central too: just a few minutes from Dam, a short walk to the Jordaan and to many of the attractions people visit the city to see, such as the Royal Palace, the Anne Frank house and the floating flower market. The nearest tram stop is about 30 seconds away and Centraal Station but a ten minute walk.

There is plenty of literature within the hotel to help you decide on a day out or a local restaurant and there is free Internet access if you need it. Oh yes, and a small but very useful lift/elevator for those who may need it.

A great place in a great location. What more could you want?

:-)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We first stayed at the Brouwer for a few nights in November of 2004, in the Mondriaan room (on the top [third] floor). The owner couple were then living on-site and it seemed well run, although he was verbally uncommunicative and she was rather perfunctory (far from a "welcoming" atmosphere).

We stayed there again last month - for six nights this time - and in the same room. The owner couple no longer live on-site and they now have a revolving crew of workers, none of whom seems to communicate with anyone else working there (much less, with the owners). The American woman working there was rather *nasty*, which wasn't appreciated.

When I made the reservation this time around, I was very explicit in making sure the elevator goes to the top floor (I couldn't remember after several years and the web site description was unclear), because I now have problems with one of my knees and the Brouwer is VERY tall & has many steep/narrow stairs (as is certainly typical of old buildings in Amsterdam's city center [and the reason why we wanted to stay on the top floor is because we didn't feel like listening to creaking floors until late at night when people walked around above us, plus the view is best]).

On THREE of our six days there, the elevator didn't work when we attempted to go downstairs! To make matters worse, I was TRAPPED inside the elevator on two of those days (for *several minutes* each time) and it was quite frightening (the elevator is *miniscule*, which is certainly understandable - but "claustrophobic" is an understatement when you're trapped inside it). Supposedly the elevator repair people were called each day and supposedly they repaired the elevator each day (certainly on the *third* day, but I wonder about the other two days). On top of all that, the person who was working there on the first two days it happened had the GALL to tell me I shouldn't expect a working elevator and that I should have stayed on a lower floor if it was going to be a problem!!! When I finally managed to "escape" from the elevator each time, I had to walk all the way down with severe knee problems (I was also wearing a brace on the problem knee).

The breakfast was pretty good, but that's standard for the Netherlands - although it's not so incredible that I would rave about it (however; unlike another reviewer, I thought the coffee was decent).

Lastly; with the exception of our arrival day, it was quite obvious that no one cleaned our room (especially the bathroom) for the duration of our stay. The hotel is certainly clean overall - and the breakfast room is admittedly very cozy & charming - but still....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Marooned in Amsterdam (ha!) by the volcano in mid-April, I found my way to the Brouwer, a lovely place I'd been before. Personable staff always make me feel welcome and even at home there, with Ellen cooking dinner for the rest of us similarly stuck. The wonderful canal-front dining room isn't usually used except for breakfast, but Ellen says she can be talked into dinner if there's demand. Excellent Dutch-American inn fare, and well worth it just to eat family style by their great windows.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo