“Decent value for the right guests” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
You added Hotel Brouwer to your Saves list
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #97 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
United Kingdom
“Decent value for the right guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed at the Brouwer recently for 2 nights as a single woman travelling alone. I was a bit disappointed when I arrived, but I had been spoiled by a few nights at absolutely gorgeous B&Bs in Belgium and was tired from a train journey. Once I'd had a rest and a walk around the canals I realized that the Brouwer is a good value for the right clientele.

It's a very easy walk from Centraal Station and Damrak Street (where there are trams and starting points for bus tours). Also a short walk to the Anne Frankhuis. I didn't think the businesses or people on the street were any scruffier than other streets in the area. My room was on the 3rd floor and I wasn't bothered by street noise.

The Brouwer is a reasonably priced small hotel in a historic building. That means the building is old, but my room and bathroom were in good condition. My bathroom was very modern and clean and the radiator in the shower stall was nice to have on a cold morning. My room had a modern television and a nice view of the canal.

Breakfast included was very good. Boiled egg, cheese, breakfast breads, butter, jam, juice, coffee/tea.

Here's some tips for prospective guests:

It's an older hotel with a very tiny lift and steep spiral staircase. Anyone with mobility issues, lots of large luggage, fears of tiny elevators/lifts, etc. should be aware of this.

There are maps and a few brochures in the little area near the computer (free use for guests) but you're pretty much on your own for finding tours to take, etc. I walked to Lindbergh tours office on Damrak street and booked my excursions there. I recommend the halfday tour to Marken and Volendam especially.

If you need a full-service hotel with tour desk, large lifts, restaurant, etc., this is not the hotel for you. If you're looking for a low-priced hotel with decent location this place is good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
san diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We loved staying at the Hotel Brower for our Honeymoon vacation! Central and traditional Amsterdam, the hotel was the perfect vase for our mad wandering. The people were pleasant and helpful and the setting was intimate and quaint. We absolutely adored our stay and are glad it will always be such a cherished memory!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We booked a 5 night stay at the hotel in february 2009. Our stay began August 8. When we arrived, the owner was not there, the manager was not there and a maintenance man was left running the place.

There are only 8 rooms at this hotel. Seven are modern and the other is a dump. Guess what room we (the americans) got? And remember we reserved six months in advance.

Let me tell you a little about this room. You go up an old spiral staircase, and I mean old, steep and wore out wooden spiral staircase that starts from the hotel office. You unlock the door and enter the "room" or should I say the bathroom door. Then you have to go up another six or so steep and narrow winding stairs and you come to a bedroom on the right (reasonably ok), then you have to turn left and go up another steep and narrow five steps or so and you come to a room that has an old wooden table and chairs in the middle and a old double size bed built into the room in the corner. The bed (and its enclosure), table, chairs and chest look like they had been resurrected from the middle ages. Worn out would be a complement. The floor was so uneven that we set a bottle of wine on the wood table and it would slide off all by itself! The floor of some sort of stone tile had many broken or missing pieces and was unsightly as well as filthy from all the dirt and crap in the open gapping cracks. Now here is the real clincher. Several boxes of rat poison were set about the floor of the room and I accidently kicked one and rat poison pieces scattered throughout the worn out tile floor.

This "room" is on three levels with steep and very narrow steps leading to each level. An accident waiting to happen at the least and a major pain in the rear to use. Bathroom (very nice and modern I would add) on the lowest level, a separate bedroom on the second level and the main room (the real dump) on the upper level. All the stairs starting from the office level look like they have been around since before Columbus discovered America. All the stairs are steep, narrow, totally worn out and absolutely filthy.

After the first night we asked to be moved to another room, which fortunately the manager accomodated. Had this not been done we would have checked out. In our 30+ years of travel throughout the world, this hotel (this room in particular) ranks as one of the worse. As I said, there are seven modern rooms. From reading other comments about this hotel on this site, the rooms vary tremendously in size, bathroom amenities, etc. And the double rooms are all charged the same rate. So you pay the same rate for the rathole (our first night), the room we stayed in for four nights(reasonably nice) and the better rooms still on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Fair? You decide. Again, we reserved our room six months in advance. I doubt that the rathole was the only one available at that time.

The hotel advertises internet (downstairs) and wifi in the rooms. Wifi never worked and the internet computer was down for two of our days. During the day there was no one around if you had any questions or needed assistance. The night before we checked out, at 11 pm we got back to our room and our phone was ringing. It was the manager insisting that we pay up then and not the next morning. We had to leave at 8 am and I guess that was to early for him to be at the hotel. Had he informed us the day before of this condition, I would have just paid him for the stay then. I told the manager he would be paid at 8 am the next morning and if he didn't like it, too bad. He finally after some grumbling agreed.

Bottom line is this: Nice location on the canal in the heart of the touristy area, all rooms have view of canal and seven of the rooms are decent I guess. If you make a reservation at this place insist on one of the seven modern rooms and preferably on the second or third floor. Under no circumstances take the room that leads up from the downstairs office. That is the dump. No airconditioning here, so it can be warm and stuffy in the rooms with the windows closed because street noise can get quite loud from all the drunks wandering around until the wee hours of the morning. And did I mention the several piles of human excrement outside the door on the day we left?

All in all, I can't recommend this place for the simple reason, in my view the hotel ownership is dis-honest. Anyone should be told about the dump room if that is where they are going to be staying WHEN THEY BOOK. I simply can not get past this.

In my opi

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed in the spacious Mondriaan room on the top floor. It is a long way up in a small elevator.. The room had both tub and shower, a real plus. The beds though small were comfortable and clean. We had a huge window that opened up with a view on the canal. We loved that at night. With the window closed, the noise from outside wasnt bad. Our daughter slept in a rollaway that was very comfortable. Breakfast wasn't big, but the coffee was good, and the food was adequate. The free computor was great for checking email. Don't forget your key, you need it to open the hotel side door for entrance at night. Terrific location, easy walk to dam square and the tram line. Easy walk to Anne Franks house. About a 20 minute slow walk on coblestone streets to Central Station. $15E ride by cab to the cruise ships. Not luxurious or plush, but it is good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

As we said before, this is an ideal spot in Amsterdam. Sure, the crowds unloading from Dam Square in the wee hours see the side street as a natural exit, which can mean it is noisy at times. But we sleep through anything, so that is not a problem. The rooms are Spartan in the eyes of some, but the beds are comfortable, they are spotlessly clean, the period detail is gorgeous (the pictures do not lie), and while the showers are not the enormous slate tiled sanctums found in luxury hotels, the water pressure is good and the end result is the same. You stay at the Brouwer because it is a steal--95 euros a night. It is also safe, comfortable and well located. The owners and staff are very hospitable, "Gentle" the new dog is just that, and did I mention that breakfast is included? We will never stay anywhere else, assuming we can get a reservation--plan early, with six doubles and two singles they stay full.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We just got home from 3 weeks in Europe and ended our stay in Amsterdam at the Brouwer. Though it WAS clean and certainly no frills, it was the first time during our three week stay that I didn't feel safe. Perhaps it was the long line of prostitutes that lined the alley behind the hotel or the note on the door stating that for your safety lock and chain your door. We had an early morning flight out the next day and there was not even an offer of coffee or a roll though breakfast was included. The towels provided were dingy and yellowed and something that I would expect from a much cheaper hotel. We were up and out of there as soon as we woke up. I would never recommend this hotel. There has to be better values out there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was a great place to stay in, rooms were no frills and clean, we stayed in the Escher on the top floor, which we loved, great views, spacious bathroom.

we had to move to the bridal suite the next night, we liked Escher better, suite is on the 2nd floor, next to a street that has restaurants where patrons dine until late so if you don't have earplugs you won't get to bed till 2am. Bridal suite is not recommended unless you like noise and medieval-type decor. bathroom was very modern though.

breakfast is included in the rate and gives travelers a chance to talk with the staff who were friendly.

great location, in the center of everything, clientele were not party goers, which was great.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Brouwer? Share your experiences!