“Enjoyed our stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Save Saved
You added Hotel Brouwer to your Saves list
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #77 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Brooksville, Florida
“Enjoyed our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Hotel Brouwer is more like a charming, historic B & B than a hotel. If you keep this in mind, your expectations will be realistic and you will be more likely to enjoy your stay. (We were able to make our reservation on the internet.) The Brouwer is in a lovely, convenient location on the Singel canal, within walking distance of the train station. We had the spacious Vermeer room on the third floor, with a comfortable queen-sized bed. It has a gorgeous view of the canal, and even though we slept with the windows open on a Friday night, we did not find it too noisy. The bathroom and shower have plenty of room. I asked for a hairdryer and was given one (of excellent quality) to use during our stay. The spiral staircase up to our room would be hard to negotiate with suitcases, but there is an elevator which will accommodate two people or one person with a suitcase. Breakfast was quite typical for a B & B: coffee, tea, soft boiled eggs, warm breads, cheese, butter and jam. (Many places don't even give you an egg!) We have found that most B & Bs in Europe do NOT serve breakfast before 8:30 am, do NOT provide toiletries and require payment in cash. Dogs are welcome almost everywhere. The owner speaks excellent English and gave us wonderful restaurant recommendations (Seasons and Prego.) Both are within walking distance. Yes, the floors are creaky and the stairs are narrow, but the hotel offers charm and an excellent value. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The Vermeer room is roomy with a large bathroom and shower. (It's on the first floor, one flight...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Stevensville, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great location overlooking canal, unique building - loved the breakfast room and the corner room was quite large. (Van Gogh room)
Enjoyed the staff and the local flavor. Would be tough access for guests with mobility issues and/or lots of luggage.

Room Tip: Lots of windows (great views) in the corner rooms but street noise is a factor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

People stay at this hotel for its location, views and to take in a bit of history. This is an inn, not a hotel, so don't expect anything you'd find at a chain hotel, like toiletries in the bath, irons, etc. The building itself is one attraction, built in 1652 and with many of the old features are still extant, like the window/shutters, old narrow staircases, tile floors and Delft tiles on the walls, (perhaps original) add a certain charm. Sticking with its traditions, the hotel does NOT accept credit cards, nor can you reserve on any Internet site, one must contact the hotel directly and they write your name and dates in a ledger.

Breakfast starts late at 8:30 and is quite basic; warmed breads, one hard-boiled egg, a few slices of cheese and your choice of coffee or tea. The dining room/reception/lobby is quaint and cozy and small. While I was there one of the staff had brought her dogs, and while I don't mind having dogs around, it was clear some of the other diners didn't appreciate having them poke around looking for treats during breakfast. Dogs really shouldn't be in a hotel dining room, that said, people were too polite to say anything to her.....

The inn is on the Singel canal which can get busy at night with revelers, as well as on a busy little alleyway with some bars and restaurants, also contributing to the noise level at night. It didn't bother me, but it might bother some, so ear-plugs might be in order. Linens and towels were of good quality, beds were also good. Furniture was all very old and well beaten keeping in line with the 'quaintness" of this 17th C hotel. Walls are thin and the floors are very creaky, you definitely can hear other guests moving around. Staff was friendly and helpful but not always around, you sometimes have to look for them back in the kitchen or back rooms. For the location and price I cannot complain, but this is not a hotel for everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beautiful Singel canal, higher up might be better to avoid street noise, but then...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

As long as you don't mind narrow, slightly claustrophobic spiral staircases, this is a lovely, warm, quirky hotel just oozing character.

The room we had (Vermeer) was plain and basic in the best possible way - spotlessly clean - no frills or extras (bring your own hairdryer if that is an essential, as well as shampoo) but with a view over the canal and everything in working order.

Others have commented on the breakfast and, if you want lots of choice and something different each day, then go somewhere else. However, if a hot croissant, hot roll, boiled egg, cheese and blackcurrant jam with all the coffee you could drink,will satisfy until lunchtime, then this is the place to be!

All the people, we met connected with the hotel, were lovely - spoke excellent English (one spoke, I think he said, 6 languages) and were extremely helpful.

Overlooking a busy canal did mean it was sometimes quite noisy but that was only to be expected - effective ear plugs solve that problem.

As a bonus, the hotel does have a tiny lift which proved a godsend when we had walked our feet off (I managed to lose my sense of direction twice - took to the trams after that).

All in all, I would recommend Hotel Brouwer as a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Having only stayed in Vermeer, I cannot comment except that that one was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel is not for everyone. It doesn't have amenities of a chain hotel. We spent 2 nights there prior to taking a cruise and enjoyed our stay. We did bring earplugs as other travelers advised. Does not have AC. Great location, friendly service, great view from our room, Breakfast was very good but no selection. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in one of the single rooms for 3 nights.

Pros:
1) Really lovely view of the canals
2) Wonderful location, just a few- minute walk from Dam Square
3) Nice owners
4) Good-value breakfast. For 6 Euros, I got a croissant, 2 other rolls, 2 slices of cheese, my own little pot of French press coffee, orange juice, and a boiled egg.
5) Clean and safe
6) Excellent wifi
7) Good value in general- my room was 71 Euros a night including breakfast. The prices may have gone up a little in the meantime, though
8) En suite bathroom!
9) There is an elevator

Cons:
1) Small room. I’m small and there was not much room for both me and my suitcase
2) Old canal house with tilty floors. It actually led to some neck and back strain by the end, especially since I had to do a lot on my computer during my stay
3) Not their fault- but noisy! There walls are thin and the floors are wood, so you hear everything from your neighbors. Also, the drawback of the beautiful canal view from the room is traffic noise. You can hear bicycles, cars, and revelers til late at night, and trash trucks early in the morning. Maybe bring earplugs.
4) Cash only

Overall, though, I would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sandy, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My previous 2 visits involved the Vermeer room, which was roomy. However, on this visit
I got the Hals room, which was definitely not roomy and I had issues with it. For instance,
the inability to close the curtains (but the windows opened easily) in the evening, a
foamy-like mattress (like a camping one?) that hung over the edge creating a miserable
first night sleep (the suddenly awakening like I was falling), and the glass shelf in the
bathroom strategically placed so if you bent over to put something in the wastebasket
you would crack your head on it (my advice, move it away from the shelf unless you like
the color of bruise on your forehead), and finally just no spare room for suitcase
unpacking- difficult to elaborate why but there is only a small table top to use for
your suitcase, unless of course you share the small bed with it.

I resolved the mattress issue by moving the bed away from the wall a bit so that
the overlapping part was on that side. I had the airplane eye mask and my good
earplugs if needed. if light and noise affect your sleeping, take note. As for the
unpacking and lack of space for the suitcase, you will have to get creative.

Breakfast didn't start until 830, which was a tad late to my way of thinking. But
the French press pot of coffee and orange juice is quickly brought to you followed
by a basket of rolls and a sort of soft-hard boiled egg. The fragrance of the warm
croissant gets points.

The location is terrific and the view of the Singel Canal is perfect. if you are not
familiar with Amsterdam, you can easily walk to Dam Square in one direction and
the Anne Frank Huis in the other. Plenty of restaurants close-by. And a bit of
Amsterdam color (working girls) is even closer.

The wee elevator comes in handy for tired legs, but the winding staircase has a
charm all its own. And the staff comes and goes, so ask questions of them in
the morning. They seem quite willing to be helpful. And if you are interested,
President Clinton slept here (and recently revisited ) back when he was a Rhodes
Scholar at Oxford.

So I can recommend Hotel Brouwer (but not the Hals room) if you can manage
the eccentricities of this 1652 vertical hotel.

Room Tip: I can recommend the Vermeer room if you are a double (or a single) although it is twins beds abutti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Brouwer? Share your experiences!