“Interesting - but lacks in some areas” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
You added Hotel Brouwer to your Saves list
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #93 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
South Florida, Florida
“Interesting - but lacks in some areas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

People stay at this hotel for its location, views and to take in a bit of history. This is an inn, not a hotel, so don't expect anything you'd find at a chain hotel, like toiletries in the bath, irons, etc. The building itself is one attraction, built in 1652 and with many of the old features are still extant, like the window/shutters, old narrow staircases, tile floors and Delft tiles on the walls, (perhaps original) add a certain charm. Sticking with its traditions, the hotel does NOT accept credit cards, nor can you reserve on any Internet site, one must contact the hotel directly and they write your name and dates in a ledger.

Breakfast starts late at 8:30 and is quite basic; warmed breads, one hard-boiled egg, a few slices of cheese and your choice of coffee or tea. The dining room/reception/lobby is quaint and cozy and small. While I was there one of the staff had brought her dogs, and while I don't mind having dogs around, it was clear some of the other diners didn't appreciate having them poke around looking for treats during breakfast. Dogs really shouldn't be in a hotel dining room, that said, people were too polite to say anything to her.....

The inn is on the Singel canal which can get busy at night with revelers, as well as on a busy little alleyway with some bars and restaurants, also contributing to the noise level at night. It didn't bother me, but it might bother some, so ear-plugs might be in order. Linens and towels were of good quality, beds were also good. Furniture was all very old and well beaten keeping in line with the 'quaintness" of this 17th C hotel. Walls are thin and the floors are very creaky, you definitely can hear other guests moving around. Staff was friendly and helpful but not always around, you sometimes have to look for them back in the kitchen or back rooms. For the location and price I cannot complain, but this is not a hotel for everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beautiful Singel canal, higher up might be better to avoid street noise, but then...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

As long as you don't mind narrow, slightly claustrophobic spiral staircases, this is a lovely, warm, quirky hotel just oozing character.

The room we had (Vermeer) was plain and basic in the best possible way - spotlessly clean - no frills or extras (bring your own hairdryer if that is an essential, as well as shampoo) but with a view over the canal and everything in working order.

Others have commented on the breakfast and, if you want lots of choice and something different each day, then go somewhere else. However, if a hot croissant, hot roll, boiled egg, cheese and blackcurrant jam with all the coffee you could drink,will satisfy until lunchtime, then this is the place to be!

All the people, we met connected with the hotel, were lovely - spoke excellent English (one spoke, I think he said, 6 languages) and were extremely helpful.

Overlooking a busy canal did mean it was sometimes quite noisy but that was only to be expected - effective ear plugs solve that problem.

As a bonus, the hotel does have a tiny lift which proved a godsend when we had walked our feet off (I managed to lose my sense of direction twice - took to the trams after that).

All in all, I would recommend Hotel Brouwer as a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Having only stayed in Vermeer, I cannot comment except that that one was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel is not for everyone. It doesn't have amenities of a chain hotel. We spent 2 nights there prior to taking a cruise and enjoyed our stay. We did bring earplugs as other travelers advised. Does not have AC. Great location, friendly service, great view from our room, Breakfast was very good but no selection. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in one of the single rooms for 3 nights.

Pros:
1) Really lovely view of the canals
2) Wonderful location, just a few- minute walk from Dam Square
3) Nice owners
4) Good-value breakfast. For 6 Euros, I got a croissant, 2 other rolls, 2 slices of cheese, my own little pot of French press coffee, orange juice, and a boiled egg.
5) Clean and safe
6) Excellent wifi
7) Good value in general- my room was 71 Euros a night including breakfast. The prices may have gone up a little in the meantime, though
8) En suite bathroom!
9) There is an elevator

Cons:
1) Small room. I’m small and there was not much room for both me and my suitcase
2) Old canal house with tilty floors. It actually led to some neck and back strain by the end, especially since I had to do a lot on my computer during my stay
3) Not their fault- but noisy! There walls are thin and the floors are wood, so you hear everything from your neighbors. Also, the drawback of the beautiful canal view from the room is traffic noise. You can hear bicycles, cars, and revelers til late at night, and trash trucks early in the morning. Maybe bring earplugs.
4) Cash only

Overall, though, I would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sandy, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My previous 2 visits involved the Vermeer room, which was roomy. However, on this visit
I got the Hals room, which was definitely not roomy and I had issues with it. For instance,
the inability to close the curtains (but the windows opened easily) in the evening, a
foamy-like mattress (like a camping one?) that hung over the edge creating a miserable
first night sleep (the suddenly awakening like I was falling), and the glass shelf in the
bathroom strategically placed so if you bent over to put something in the wastebasket
you would crack your head on it (my advice, move it away from the shelf unless you like
the color of bruise on your forehead), and finally just no spare room for suitcase
unpacking- difficult to elaborate why but there is only a small table top to use for
your suitcase, unless of course you share the small bed with it.

I resolved the mattress issue by moving the bed away from the wall a bit so that
the overlapping part was on that side. I had the airplane eye mask and my good
earplugs if needed. if light and noise affect your sleeping, take note. As for the
unpacking and lack of space for the suitcase, you will have to get creative.

Breakfast didn't start until 830, which was a tad late to my way of thinking. But
the French press pot of coffee and orange juice is quickly brought to you followed
by a basket of rolls and a sort of soft-hard boiled egg. The fragrance of the warm
croissant gets points.

The location is terrific and the view of the Singel Canal is perfect. if you are not
familiar with Amsterdam, you can easily walk to Dam Square in one direction and
the Anne Frank Huis in the other. Plenty of restaurants close-by. And a bit of
Amsterdam color (working girls) is even closer.

The wee elevator comes in handy for tired legs, but the winding staircase has a
charm all its own. And the staff comes and goes, so ask questions of them in
the morning. They seem quite willing to be helpful. And if you are interested,
President Clinton slept here (and recently revisited ) back when he was a Rhodes
Scholar at Oxford.

So I can recommend Hotel Brouwer (but not the Hals room) if you can manage
the eccentricities of this 1652 vertical hotel.

Room Tip: I can recommend the Vermeer room if you are a double (or a single) although it is twins beds abutti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Grass Valley, Calif.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Amsterdam is very expensive, so although this hotel is expensive (about $158) by American standards for what you get, it is reasonable by Amsterdam standards. Clean, historic (=very old), and basic. We were in the Rembrandt room. Great views. One small armoire for hanging our coats, one very small, low chest of drawers which wasn't really worth using, so we basically lived out of our suitcases (on the floor) for three days. My mattress will need replacing very soon (I should have told them but forgot). Staffing is very casual but friendly and helpful. If you are visiting the Rijksmuseum, be sure to buy your ticket voucher in advance through the hotel, which will save you a LOT of time when you get to the museum. All told, we would stay here again because of the location and price (compared to what else is available).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Carmichael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Brouwer at the end of March/first part of April this year for 4 nights. We experienced everything good and bad that other reviewers have reported. Our room was the Rembrandt on the 3rd level of the hotel. It is a very spacious corner room with lots of windows and a fantastic view of the two canals. (I think that the Van Gogh room is the same size right above us) Pros: Location; fantastic location close to train station (15 minute walk), trams, and great local pubs and canal side restaurants. View; Our room on the corner was to die for over looking the 2 canals. NOTE; Noticed that 2 trees on the canal have been removed for canal work. This give other canal side rooms a better view. Staff; found the staff to be very nice and friendly. They even served us our breakfast early on our departure day. Value; 115 euro/night out the door with breakfast, I thought was pretty good for the area. Cons: Noise...We were there from Saturday to Wednesday AM. Sure there was noise till midnight+ on Saturday. After that it was better every day after. What do you expect from a city like Amsterdam on the weekend. Breakfast; It was like reported...the same thing every day...but it was good and filling. (I will go for an OK breakfast that comes with my room any day for the convenience) Bathroom; The shower was funky with its short curtain and open drain style. (they replaced the curtain our second day with a longer one. We didn't even ask for it) the bath was tough to work in with the low light and size....but we have had smaller ones. If you are picky don't stay here. If you are flexible and easy going it will be a cool experience staying in a canal side hotel built in the late 1600's with great Amsterdam canal views.

Room Tip: Reserve early and stay in the Rembrandt or Van Gogh rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Brouwer? Share your experiences!