“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #87 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hampton, Virginia
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel is not for everyone. It doesn't have amenities of a chain hotel. We spent 2 nights there prior to taking a cruise and enjoyed our stay. We did bring earplugs as other travelers advised. Does not have AC. Great location, friendly service, great view from our room, Breakfast was very good but no selection. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in one of the single rooms for 3 nights.

Pros:
1) Really lovely view of the canals
2) Wonderful location, just a few- minute walk from Dam Square
3) Nice owners
4) Good-value breakfast. For 6 Euros, I got a croissant, 2 other rolls, 2 slices of cheese, my own little pot of French press coffee, orange juice, and a boiled egg.
5) Clean and safe
6) Excellent wifi
7) Good value in general- my room was 71 Euros a night including breakfast. The prices may have gone up a little in the meantime, though
8) En suite bathroom!
9) There is an elevator

Cons:
1) Small room. I’m small and there was not much room for both me and my suitcase
2) Old canal house with tilty floors. It actually led to some neck and back strain by the end, especially since I had to do a lot on my computer during my stay
3) Not their fault- but noisy! There walls are thin and the floors are wood, so you hear everything from your neighbors. Also, the drawback of the beautiful canal view from the room is traffic noise. You can hear bicycles, cars, and revelers til late at night, and trash trucks early in the morning. Maybe bring earplugs.
4) Cash only

Overall, though, I would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sandy, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My previous 2 visits involved the Vermeer room, which was roomy. However, on this visit
I got the Hals room, which was definitely not roomy and I had issues with it. For instance,
the inability to close the curtains (but the windows opened easily) in the evening, a
foamy-like mattress (like a camping one?) that hung over the edge creating a miserable
first night sleep (the suddenly awakening like I was falling), and the glass shelf in the
bathroom strategically placed so if you bent over to put something in the wastebasket
you would crack your head on it (my advice, move it away from the shelf unless you like
the color of bruise on your forehead), and finally just no spare room for suitcase
unpacking- difficult to elaborate why but there is only a small table top to use for
your suitcase, unless of course you share the small bed with it.

I resolved the mattress issue by moving the bed away from the wall a bit so that
the overlapping part was on that side. I had the airplane eye mask and my good
earplugs if needed. if light and noise affect your sleeping, take note. As for the
unpacking and lack of space for the suitcase, you will have to get creative.

Breakfast didn't start until 830, which was a tad late to my way of thinking. But
the French press pot of coffee and orange juice is quickly brought to you followed
by a basket of rolls and a sort of soft-hard boiled egg. The fragrance of the warm
croissant gets points.

The location is terrific and the view of the Singel Canal is perfect. if you are not
familiar with Amsterdam, you can easily walk to Dam Square in one direction and
the Anne Frank Huis in the other. Plenty of restaurants close-by. And a bit of
Amsterdam color (working girls) is even closer.

The wee elevator comes in handy for tired legs, but the winding staircase has a
charm all its own. And the staff comes and goes, so ask questions of them in
the morning. They seem quite willing to be helpful. And if you are interested,
President Clinton slept here (and recently revisited ) back when he was a Rhodes
Scholar at Oxford.

So I can recommend Hotel Brouwer (but not the Hals room) if you can manage
the eccentricities of this 1652 vertical hotel.

Room Tip: I can recommend the Vermeer room if you are a double (or a single) although it is twins beds abutti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Grass Valley, Calif.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Amsterdam is very expensive, so although this hotel is expensive (about $158) by American standards for what you get, it is reasonable by Amsterdam standards. Clean, historic (=very old), and basic. We were in the Rembrandt room. Great views. One small armoire for hanging our coats, one very small, low chest of drawers which wasn't really worth using, so we basically lived out of our suitcases (on the floor) for three days. My mattress will need replacing very soon (I should have told them but forgot). Staffing is very casual but friendly and helpful. If you are visiting the Rijksmuseum, be sure to buy your ticket voucher in advance through the hotel, which will save you a LOT of time when you get to the museum. All told, we would stay here again because of the location and price (compared to what else is available).

Carmichael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Brouwer at the end of March/first part of April this year for 4 nights. We experienced everything good and bad that other reviewers have reported. Our room was the Rembrandt on the 3rd level of the hotel. It is a very spacious corner room with lots of windows and a fantastic view of the two canals. (I think that the Van Gogh room is the same size right above us) Pros: Location; fantastic location close to train station (15 minute walk), trams, and great local pubs and canal side restaurants. View; Our room on the corner was to die for over looking the 2 canals. NOTE; Noticed that 2 trees on the canal have been removed for canal work. This give other canal side rooms a better view. Staff; found the staff to be very nice and friendly. They even served us our breakfast early on our departure day. Value; 115 euro/night out the door with breakfast, I thought was pretty good for the area. Cons: Noise...We were there from Saturday to Wednesday AM. Sure there was noise till midnight+ on Saturday. After that it was better every day after. What do you expect from a city like Amsterdam on the weekend. Breakfast; It was like reported...the same thing every day...but it was good and filling. (I will go for an OK breakfast that comes with my room any day for the convenience) Bathroom; The shower was funky with its short curtain and open drain style. (they replaced the curtain our second day with a longer one. We didn't even ask for it) the bath was tough to work in with the low light and size....but we have had smaller ones. If you are picky don't stay here. If you are flexible and easy going it will be a cool experience staying in a canal side hotel built in the late 1600's with great Amsterdam canal views.

Room Tip: Reserve early and stay in the Rembrandt or Van Gogh rooms
Duluth, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Definitely not an upscale hotel, but a hotel worth the money. Not the Ritz, but a simple hotel with very friendly staff. A fantastic location. Nice view of canal. Breakfast was good every morning. We would come back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
3,181 helpful votes 3,181 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times. We love everything about it - price, value, location, staff, incredible view. However, this hotel is not for everyone. The rooms are basic, but clean. The elevator is tiny - enough for 2 people and 2 very small pieces of luggage. Breakfast is good - but the same every day and we often miss it because we are gone before 8:30 a.m. when they begin service. But we cannot imagine staying anywhere else when we visit Amsterdam.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Brouwer? Share your experiences!