“highly recommended budget hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #73 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Indianapolis, Indiana
“highly recommended budget hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Hotel Brouwer was recommended in Rick Steve's book which I rely on my choice of hotels. I have not been disappointed. Checked the hotel website which has good information on location, how to get there from Central Station, description of rooms and photo gallery. I got my price and availability by sending an email which is i nthe website info. i got very prompt response, had my single room booked; no credit card number was needed to book. I did confirm my stay a day in advance. Payment was done afer I checked out.
PROXIMITY TO CENTRAL STATION: From the airport, I took the train to Amsterdam Central (about 4.30euros); followed walking instruction to get to hotel; took about 10 to 15 minutes for a first time visitor in the city. Very easy to find because it is along the Singel canal. The buildings are chronologically numbered; i just paid attention to the numbers till i reached #83. Printing out a map of Amsterdam from internet was helpful to get my bearings on street and canal locations.
SERVICE: Arrived at the hotel at 8am; Colleen was helpful and friendly. She said that I can leave my luggage in their tiny office since my room was not ready yet (which I expected- check in time is 4pm). She provided me with a map and tipped me that van Gogh museum is closed and the paintings were moved to another place. She made an effort to have my room cleaned faster knowing that I came from the US and needed to sleep. After walking around in the Damrak area, Royal Palace and Red light district area, - which are all within walking distance from the hotel, I went back to the hotel to use the bathroom and found out that my room was already ready at 10;30am. I was thankful since I badly needed to nap.
ROOM: A tiny lift was available - one person and a luggage would fit. I appreciate this since my room is in level 2; lugging it through the spiral staircase would have been difficult . Nice view from my room - can see the Singel canal and trees which were changing in colors. The windows can be opened to get fresh air but since I wanted to sleep (jetlag) - I closed the windows and shut the curtains to make it darker. There was some street noise (motocycles, people talking), but it did not bother me since I used my Bose noise-reduction headset and listened to soft music . I was tired and slept for 3 hours. Room had small bed, small table and chair, bathroom, and a closet. Just perfect for a single guest. Clean room, clean walls, clean sheets and bathroom. Warm/hot water felt good for showering. There was TV also which I didn't use because I am interested only in getting outside and walking all day and just sleep in the room. Floor is wooden and can easily hear footsteps but the neighbors were courteous enough to not make any noise at night.
LOCATION: Very accessible to grocery store,and to attractions (including AnneFrank's house and Jordaan). I followed Rick Steve's walking tour (self-guided) and was pleased to have stayed in this hotel.
BREAKFAST: As I opened my room, I could smell freshly baked bread. The guy who served breakfast on Oct 22 was efficient and friendly. Hot rolls, hard-boiled egg, cheese, ham, and freshly squeezed juice, coffee/tea. Music playing was very relaxing. Breakfast room was overlooking the canal. Breakfast was included in the room rate. He even helped me carry my luggage down the steps from breakfast area to street.
SUMMARY: highly recommended budget hotel, no wonder why it gets fully booked quickly. I had to move to another hotel because Brouwer had no availability for the second night. I would stay here again the next time I visit

Room Tip: When you email Hotel Brouwer , be specific with your room requirements - higher level room is better...

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer for 2 nights in October in the Vermeer room. I think the hotel was a good value for money. Its very simple and basic but compared against the price a good value. The breakfast was quite nice with french press coffee, pastries and an egg. I didn't find the hosts particularly helpful is providing information about the city, but Amsterdam is very easy to navigate.

The location is excellent and having a canal view was a nice bonus.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice staff, great location, very clean. Could not be happier for the price. The only negative thing would be that my room went downhill so the bed was not quite level, but besides that, great place to stay. Small lift that was good for bringing luggage up as the stairs were quite steep. Some street noise but it did not effect my sleep very much. TV in the room which I was not expecting for the price of the hotel. Super easy to find and a little store was right by it. I would stay there again and next time I am in Amsterdam I will for sure stay there again.

Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our first stay in 1.5 years at Brouwer. We've stayed here many, many times over the past 10 years and never have had a bad stay/experience. I reviewed the negative comments before going this time (just for a laugh, really). I have to say most are from travelers who seem to be expecting 4-5 star service at a 1 star hotel. Really.

We spent three nights in the Van Gogh room. We did have some issues with the room and reported those to Colleen. What could be fixed/repaired immediately was done the same day! The hotel could use some care and attention but with the rooms consistently 100% booked, it's pretty difficult to do anything but very minor repairs without closing down a room. Ok, enough with that.

The price has increased about 15 euros per night, but so has the general cost of living. The Van Gogh room is large and clean with a good size closet that held all our stuff. There's a tiny flat screen TV that my finally turned on the day before we left. It's a nice distraction but really, we spend very little time in the room other than sleeping and showering.

The bathroom needed cleaning. This was reported and fixed same-day. A brighter light in the bathroom would be nice though. Other than that, no complaints. Towels were changed daily since, as many people have posted, the entire bathroom floor does tend to get wet while showering. With care and patience, some of this can be avoided but not entirely.

Yep, our room had some windows without curtains. Oh, did the previous posters fail to mention that these windows have SHUTTERS that close completely to block the light entirely? Yes, they did. And despite the fact that some may complain that closing the shutters decreases air flow into the room, not so. There were three other windows that opened with curtains.

The location of Hotel Brouwer is great along the Singel Canal. Each room has canal views. Are there red light windows around? Uh, yes. This IS Amsterdam. Is Hotel Brouwer in "the Red Light District" as many negative posters stated? No. The RDL is about one kilometer east of the Singel Canal. The city does allow red light windows seemingly anywhere. I don't know how the hotel could control where the ladies/dudes hang their lights.

Breakfast was great as always. There's always more than enough food and coffee.

We will return again and again to Hotel Brouwer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our European vacation included stays in 9 different cities and hotels and I would rate this hotel the best in the Old World Charm category. We are talking about a 17th century building located on a beautiful canal. Amsterdam is so interesting and this hotel is in a perfect location. We walked to most sites but the tram system is close by. We stayed in the Rembrandt room and loved it, lovely view from the window and perfectly cozy. The staff was friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. Of course the stairs up to our rooms were steep and the elevator was tiny but that is all part of the age of this lovely old building. We loved our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having read other reviews about this hotel there was nothing that came as a surprise. Very old building on the Singel canal about 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station and we found it ideal as a base.

We had the Mondriaan room. Clean and tidy with twin beds and great views of the Singel and surrounding area from both front and side windows. Comes with both shower and bath. This room was on the top floor (Attic) with access by spiral staircase or the tiny two man lift.

Breakfast was nice. Fresh fruit juice, croissant, bread roll, fruit bun, boiled egg, cheese and preserve. Range of teas and coffee.

Having listened to other guests, they seem to come back here time and time again. Also it would be wise to book well in advance as this hotel appears to very popular.

Our only gripe was on our arrival we were told we did not have a reservation even though we booked 5 months previously. The owner was called and we showed him our confirmation email. He offered to book us into another hotel or stay at his apartment one block down the Singel. We took the latter for several days...a very modern, spacious pad before moving into the hotel. If we were to book this hotel again, which we would if we were in Amsterdam, I would send an email several weeks before arriving to ensure all was well with the booking.

Staff very pleasant, knowledgeable and all speak English. The grumpy night watchman mentioned in earlier reviews is no longer in post.

Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel has a good location on the Singel canal has and some charm. But the room are noisy as there is activity on the street and for ventilation the windows need to be open. No wifi in the rooms. Little help for local activities and sites (which abound in Amsterdam!) from the American hosts. Breakfast is normal European fare. Rooms are fine. We like the quirkiness factor, but we just hoped for a little more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Brouwer? Share your experiences!