“Still a great place to stay in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Save Saved
You added Hotel Brouwer to your Saves list
Singel 83, 1012 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #78 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Still a great place to stay in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our first stay in 1.5 years at Brouwer. We've stayed here many, many times over the past 10 years and never have had a bad stay/experience. I reviewed the negative comments before going this time (just for a laugh, really). I have to say most are from travelers who seem to be expecting 4-5 star service at a 1 star hotel. Really.

We spent three nights in the Van Gogh room. We did have some issues with the room and reported those to Colleen. What could be fixed/repaired immediately was done the same day! The hotel could use some care and attention but with the rooms consistently 100% booked, it's pretty difficult to do anything but very minor repairs without closing down a room. Ok, enough with that.

The price has increased about 15 euros per night, but so has the general cost of living. The Van Gogh room is large and clean with a good size closet that held all our stuff. There's a tiny flat screen TV that my finally turned on the day before we left. It's a nice distraction but really, we spend very little time in the room other than sleeping and showering.

The bathroom needed cleaning. This was reported and fixed same-day. A brighter light in the bathroom would be nice though. Other than that, no complaints. Towels were changed daily since, as many people have posted, the entire bathroom floor does tend to get wet while showering. With care and patience, some of this can be avoided but not entirely.

Yep, our room had some windows without curtains. Oh, did the previous posters fail to mention that these windows have SHUTTERS that close completely to block the light entirely? Yes, they did. And despite the fact that some may complain that closing the shutters decreases air flow into the room, not so. There were three other windows that opened with curtains.

The location of Hotel Brouwer is great along the Singel Canal. Each room has canal views. Are there red light windows around? Uh, yes. This IS Amsterdam. Is Hotel Brouwer in "the Red Light District" as many negative posters stated? No. The RDL is about one kilometer east of the Singel Canal. The city does allow red light windows seemingly anywhere. I don't know how the hotel could control where the ladies/dudes hang their lights.

Breakfast was great as always. There's always more than enough food and coffee.

We will return again and again to Hotel Brouwer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our European vacation included stays in 9 different cities and hotels and I would rate this hotel the best in the Old World Charm category. We are talking about a 17th century building located on a beautiful canal. Amsterdam is so interesting and this hotel is in a perfect location. We walked to most sites but the tram system is close by. We stayed in the Rembrandt room and loved it, lovely view from the window and perfectly cozy. The staff was friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. Of course the stairs up to our rooms were steep and the elevator was tiny but that is all part of the age of this lovely old building. We loved our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having read other reviews about this hotel there was nothing that came as a surprise. Very old building on the Singel canal about 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station and we found it ideal as a base.

We had the Mondriaan room. Clean and tidy with twin beds and great views of the Singel and surrounding area from both front and side windows. Comes with both shower and bath. This room was on the top floor (Attic) with access by spiral staircase or the tiny two man lift.

Breakfast was nice. Fresh fruit juice, croissant, bread roll, fruit bun, boiled egg, cheese and preserve. Range of teas and coffee.

Having listened to other guests, they seem to come back here time and time again. Also it would be wise to book well in advance as this hotel appears to very popular.

Our only gripe was on our arrival we were told we did not have a reservation even though we booked 5 months previously. The owner was called and we showed him our confirmation email. He offered to book us into another hotel or stay at his apartment one block down the Singel. We took the latter for several days...a very modern, spacious pad before moving into the hotel. If we were to book this hotel again, which we would if we were in Amsterdam, I would send an email several weeks before arriving to ensure all was well with the booking.

Staff very pleasant, knowledgeable and all speak English. The grumpy night watchman mentioned in earlier reviews is no longer in post.

Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel has a good location on the Singel canal has and some charm. But the room are noisy as there is activity on the street and for ventilation the windows need to be open. No wifi in the rooms. Little help for local activities and sites (which abound in Amsterdam!) from the American hosts. Breakfast is normal European fare. Rooms are fine. We like the quirkiness factor, but we just hoped for a little more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband, teenage son, and I stayed here for two nights. Colleen and the rest of the staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room, the "Vermeer" was a triple, with plenty of space for the three of us. We had a large bathroom, along with a flat screen TV. It was warm, but we got a nice breeze through the room at night. The breakfast was simple, but filling, lovely, and delicious. Yes, the steps are steep and there are many. Yes, the elevator is teensy (I lugged bags up those spiral stairs rather than go in it, as I'm a bit uncomfortable in tight spaces). But the historic charm, the space for all three of us, the price, the friendliness, and best of all, the location, made it this a lovely place to stay. The location, right on the Singel canal, is one of the biggest advantages. We had a beautiful view of the canal from our room. Yes, there are "red light" windows down the street, but everything you could want is a short walk away, including the central rail station, which we walked to in 15 minutes. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Amsterdam!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

As a family we booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews we read and in all honesty we weren't disappointed . So this review will be as honest as i can be .Ok first night there i wondered if we made the right choice as we had booked a triple room ,what we got was a twin room with an extra camp bed but we expected that but the mattress on the camp bed was paper thin and no one could sleep on it . could not complain that night as there were no staff about (reception closes at 6 you get your own key for side door to come and go as you please ). We complained after we had breakfast and nearly felt guilty for complaining as the person we spoke to apologized that much and promised it would be sorted straight away .PROBLEM SORTED !! . I cannot stress enough how lovely this little gem of hotel is ,the breakfast is simple but delicious consisting of boiled eggs and a range of bread s and rolls hot out of the oven and real coffee and real freshly squeezed orange juice . The hotel is basic and some what quirky ,rooms are basic ,beds comfortable , rooms unsuite and have tv (with English speaking channels) the stairs take on a whole new meaning of steep ideal for a mountain climber for the rest of us there is the lift it has to be seen to be believed 1 person and suitcase or 2 people max (it adds to the fun of staying in hotel Brouwer ). the staff are great friendly and helpful . Now as it is Amsterdam there are a few red lights in the area this did not bother us at all and it does not take any thing away from the hotel but to balance things there is a couple of lovely cafes and bars close by over looking the canal which is nice .
So to finish if i was asked will i stay there again ? the answer would be yes definitely as plans are already made for the return trip to hidden gem on the Singel canal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

First of all, ignore negative reviews of this hotel - yes, it's quirky, yes it's slightly wonky at times.. deal with it. The large hotel chains may be better, but what you gain in luxury you lose in charm. This hotel has charm in spades!

Me and a friend stayed in this hotel for two nights, staying in separate rooms. My double room was on the top floor (fourth) and was called the Escher room. All the room names (8 rooms in total) are named after artists. My friends room was a single room called the Hals room. This was located on the third floor. After the ground floor there is a separate living area for the owners (I presume) and then there are three floors of rooms, two double rooms and a single room per floor, except the top floor which just has two double rooms.

As you can see from the photo's, the rooms are quaint and quirky. Yes, there are faults, such as the curtains not blocking out the glaring sun 100%, or perhaps there was a little too much dust on the desk and phone, but this isn't the Ritz. I saw no evidence of bugs or rodents, and the place seemed "clean" overall.

My double room was huge and came with a very large bathroom.. which seemed almost as big as my friends single room. Oh how I laughed! Our stay coincided with a heatwave and the three open windows in my room really kept my room cool. My friends single room was a little stifling, but he didn't complain and slept ok with the windows open and earplugs in.

The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower. Liquid soap, flannel and towels were provided. The water from the shower went all over the floor but was easily swept back into the shower area afterwards by guiding the puddles in with my feet. No big deal there.

The bed was a double, which meant two singles pushed together. I slept on one bed only and it was really comfortable.. not hard or saggy at all. The pillow was fine for me. There was a 2 seater couch in my room which went down a treat. The TV reception was pretty poor to be honest, although I didn't actually have time to watch TV after checking it out upon arrival.

The view from my main window was good, although directly in front of the hotel was a huge tree that blocked my view somewhat.. although the view to the sides was fine. The views out the small side windows just showed the neighbours' rooftops.

There is a computer in the reception area and free wi-fi, but the signal was poor on the top floor so I had to do without in my room, which was a shame.

The breakfast was nice. A big coffee pot with cream and sugar. A bread roll, crumpet, croissant and soft boiled egg, with cheese, jam and butter.. all went down a treat.

The staff were different each morning which was kind of odd for me, although the lovely black lady was there everyday in the office. On one of the mornings we had the lady with the 2 dogs.. one of which liked to bare it's teeth when I stroked it! I think it was the brown poodle, so be wary :)

Overall, this is a quaint little family run hotel that is located well, has stunning views out the windows, comes with friendly staff and a good breakfast. The double rooms are spacious, whilst the single rooms are adequate.

Pros:
Quaint and quirky
Lovely views
Quiet of a night
Good, hearty breakfast
Large, clean bathroom
Great location
PC for general use

Cons:
Wi-fi not available on top floor
Perhaps too much dust in places
Nowhere to put the bath towel in the bathroom (I'm nitpicking now!)

Room Tip: Ask for a double room if traveling solo, as you only pay a little bit more and the extra space is we...