“Solid Chain Hotel Choice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Centre

You added NH Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade, 7 | City Center, Vondelpark, 1054ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #85 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Goteed1
“Solid Chain Hotel Choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

I stayed in this hotel because of a winning bid on Priceline, so that really colors my perspective. For the price I paid, this was a steal and an excellent value.

I arrived early and they offered me a smoking room which was great! I thought those were extinct. I'm under the impression that the 3rd floor is smoking rooms. The room was small by American standards, but not too small for comfort. The room is dark, with dark wood flooring and dark furniture, so it becomes a little "cave-like" if you don't have much of a view. Not sure if I got the "Priceline Room" but my window looked out into an office building across an alley way.

The bed was a true queen size and very comfortable, bathroom was also small but modern and very clean. The Bath/Shower was great, but is rather high up from the floor, so getting out of it is tricky if you are all wet.

Because I got the room on priceline, I didn't get any extras with the room, such as breakfast or internet access and the hotel seems to charge alot for these extras. Even the gym was extra. (The gym was more of a fitness room and not really a gym, to be charged admittance for this is just plain silly greed. I went to a real Gym a few blocks away Splash Fitness, and for the same price got all the amenities that a real gym offers.) Internet access is similarly priced restrictively, so most days I went to a restaurant with free wifi and my laptop.

They have 2 restaurants and a bar, again, priced out of whack with neighboring bars and restaurants, so saw no need to try them when the liedersplein is just a minute away. (Also in 5 days I never saw anyone actually eat or drink there).

The front desk people were fine and mostly helpful, although they did lead me astray on some public transport intructions. Maid service was excellent and honored my do not disturb sign. (Even when I didn't wake up until 2:30pm the first day! They came in after they were sure I was gone).

The location is excellent for visiting the Museumplein, VondelPark, The leidersplein, Rembrentplein and tram service is just outside the front entrance.

I think if I had paid the normal rate for this place I would be very very dissappointed with the level of amenities and service, but if you can get this hotel at a Priceline bid rate, you will have yourself a great bargain.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We couldn't of asked for a better location! It's very close to Leidesplein and tons of shopping and restaurants. It's also very close to Vondelpark, the museums, and the Heineken brewery. It's just a block away from the extremely crowded areas, so it still is quiet - and it's not in the seedy area near Centraal Station or the redlight district.

If it weren't advertised as a 4-star hotel, I would of been very pleased with this hotel, but unfortunately it did not live up to its expectations. Thank goodness I did not pay full price for it though, as I booked it on priceline. It mentions that it offers many things on the website (bike rental, free continental breakfast, free wifi, etc) which it most certainly did not. If we wanted breakfast there it would of been 25 euro! There also is a nearby bike rental place near Leidesplein but it doesn't always have bikes readily available. There is one computer available in the "business center" - aka the elevator lobby - which you can get free 15 minute vouchers from the front desk. Also, for Americans, the service at this place is not good. The employees are not too friendly, or accommodating. We booked the hotel through priceline, but they would not offer the same rate for extra nights. They offered more than twice(!) our rate as their lowest option, which obviously we did not take. Also, when I got home I noticed that they charged me for an extra night on my credit card - for no reason!! I had to call them to have it sorted out, which was not too fun!

All in all, if you can get a good rate for this hotel then go for it - it's worth it if you can get it cheaply! I would definitely not recommend this hotel if you are paying full price for it though!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Really loved this place, location especially. It's right across from a main plaza where there are lots of restaurants, shops, and bars. It made going out at night really easy because we got back to the hotel so quickly. Everyone spoke English and was very friendly. We went through priceline and only paid $77 USD a night and I was extremely satisfied with the quality for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancashire,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

comfortable hotel in good city centre location with friendly staff - nice views over amsterdam canal

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

This is a nice hotel. It's a comfortable hotel. It's almost well located.

The 5* status that it holds however is only as result of cramming as many different facilities and assorted room accessories in as possible and is in no way reflective of this being a luxurious hotel.

My partner and I went to Amsterdam for a long weekend. The hotel was suggested by Lastminute.com as one of their luxury 5* secret properties, the name of which would only be revealed once payment has been made and the booking secure.

It is approximately E35 from the airport to the hotel by taxi and it is well located for the Rijks Museum (currently closed for refurbishment) and the Albert Cuyp market (seemingly consiting entirely of stalls selling either cheap wigs, cheap (and nasty) leather goods and the odd cheese stall).

First impressions of the hotel were that the room (standard) was on the small side. There was no bath in the ensuite but there was a good sized walk in shower, with underpowered shower heads.

The staff were not all that friendly and seemed rather bemused when I called down to the front desk one evening to request the turn down service, which they told me that they didn't do. This is something that I am used to getting in 5* hotels and also something that they advertise as being offered in the inroom service guide book. When this was pointed out to the receptionist she tried to tell me that the service directory in our room must be wrong.

The hotel is located at the opposite end of the city to the old town and took about 30 minutes to walk there, although this was no real problem as the walk was pleasant enough.

All in all I would recommend the NH Amsterdam Centre (just). The way in which I booked it through Lastminute.com meant that the rate was £70 per night which was just about right at 50% less than the normal rate. Had I paid the full rate then I would have been extremely critical of the level of service that we received.

I would only use this hotel again if I received a similar 50% reduction on the usual room rate.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I've stayed at this NH property several times for business trips over the last few years, so when we decided to make a holiday trip to Amsterdam (along with day trips), this seemed like a good and familiar choice. Close to Leidesplein, it is within walking distance to sights and restaurants, but away from the hurly-burly of the Central Station or Rembrandtplein areas. I have always been happy with the people at this NH---and I swear they haven't changed in over 5 years!.

The tricky thing about this hotel is room size. Some are roomy, some are closet-sized. I have had a variety, all in the same price category. I haven't a clue how they figure out their price ranges, so this time I got wise and requested a larger room beforehand. (I booked online). I also reiterated this request when I checked in. We had room 119, a corner room (see photos); it was quite spacious. Request this one if you can. The double bed is not two beds smashed together, either. Furnishings are spartan, but that's an NH thing.

When I've been on business (read: expense account), I also had my breakfast included because it is such an impressive spread. However, since we were on vacation, we would just go to nearby pancake houses. The NH is not for the super budget-conscious, but I think it's just as good as the nearby Marriott, at quite a bit less. (I collect a lot of hotel points so I almost considered the Marriott this time, but trust me, the rooms aren't worth the difference in cost.

If I came to Amsterdam for leisure again, I would probably stay here, but I also might shop around a little first.

Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel - stayed for two nights at the end of May in a suite. Travelling partner was my spouse and this was our second time visiting Amsterdam. We were looking for a nice, centrally located hotel. Here's what we thought:

LOCATION: Couldn't ask for better! One very short tram ride from Central Station and walking distance to almost everything. It is located almost right on Leidesplein (one of the main squares) and therefore very central for all entertainment and touristy stuff. It is on the same street as the Rijksmuseum/Museum District (walking: 10min) and the Heineken Experience (> 20 min). The Albert Cuyp Market is about a 25 min walk. The Red Light district is about the same...maybe a little longer at night with all the foot traffic.

SERVICE: Amazing. We flew into AMS on a red-eye (arriving at 6 am). The front desk allowed us to check in early at about 8:00 am. Just ask - if they have an available room they will allow you to check in. This part is for the ladies: I had an unexpected "visitor" late at night (AKA no pharmacy/store open) - I called down to the desk and they had someone send some supplies up to our room.

ROOM: Spacious and clean - what more could you want? Your choice of several different types of pillow? OK they offer that too! Isn't that great. You can keep the pillows provided in the room or request one of the several other kinds sent up for you instead. A 'menu' of the different pillows will be in your room. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean. Nice desk area which was partioned from the bed area. Also nice sitting area. Bar fridge, safe, iron, sat tv, all very functional. Wifi on request.

BATHROOM: Most importantly it was clean. There were also great soaps, shampoo, etc. Lovely actually. Nice shower with good pressure and a hair dryer.

OVERALL: We would definitely stay at this hotel again and will the next time we go to Amsterdam. Wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!