“Helpful Staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Centre

You added NH Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade, 7 | City Center, Vondelpark, 1054ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #65 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Peninsula, Ohio
“Helpful Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Conveniently located hotel with very helpful staff. My luggage was lost by the airline for several days of my stay and Tamara at reception was VERY sweet and helpful in contacting the airline to track it down, even as I stood in front of her weeping! Room was clean and updated. Bathroom had countertop space galore for all of my toiletries (once they actually arrived). Front desk even let me borrow a plug adapter during my stay! The free internet access is a little clunky since you have to keep re-applying every 24 hours, but once connected, it worked fairly well. My room was downgraded to a single upon check in, which I didn't mind, but once again the front desk staff pulled through for me and gave me a bottle of wine to soothe me. Just a great experience overall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked NH Amsterdam Centre online, but I didn't really know the brand (NH) that well at all. I wasn't expecting anything too grand, given the affordable pricing, but WOW I was surprised when I walked in and felt totally spoiled. The reception desk was so nice, and when I got to my room, I realized what a great decision I had made. It wasn't lavish, but super comfortable. It was heated well, with everything I could have needed at my disposal (including shoe polish, which I've never seen given at hotels before - came in very handy for my boots after days spent walking outside). The kicker was that at one point, I got stuck in one of the elevators for a total of 3 minutes. That's it! And when I did get out, someone was waiting for me to make sure I was fine. Later that evening, someone came to my room with a letter from the hotel and free drink vouchers to use at the bar. They really went above and beyond to make it up to me, when they really didn't need to. It's a show of good faith and good hotel management when the hotel staff is so attuned to their customers' needs and the ways to go above and beyond to make them feel comfortable. I absolutely loved Amsterdam, and I attribute a big part of that to the amazing services and location of NH Amsterdam Centre - next time I go to Amsterdam (hopefully really soon!), I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Nice middle class hotel centrally located to shopping, bars, coffee shops and restaurants. My room was clean and fairly quite although the daily rate of 144. Euros with an inclusive breakfast seemed a bit of a gouge. Their two tier internet option is a bit cumbersome although you can get working internet connections in your room which is a big plus. You'll pay more for high speed at 6.60 per day or free slow speed. The hotel bar is fairly boring but the bartenders were social and enjoyable. The breakfast buffet is a standard buffet with cold cuts, breads, cheese, some fruit, bacon, sausage and powdered scrambled eggs however it is expensive so if your not a big breakfast person Starbucks is only a few minutes walk from the hotel. I liked the hotel and would stay at another nh brand in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was a little concerned about this hotel based on some mixed reviews but I had nothing to worry about. NH Amstersdam is a great hotel. Yes the TV's are old and the room was a little dark and old but that didn't bother me. Actually this hotel had more english channels then any other hotel we stayed at which made my husband very happy. The room was large which was a nice plus as I never expect that in Europe. The bathroom was a little small but had plenty of counter space for all my stuff which is something I look for.

I loved the location, right next to Leide square which I much preferred over Dam square. However Dam square is an easy 20 minute walk or an ever quicker tram ride. My husband and I only took the tram once, other then that we walked everywhere (Central station, Ann Frank House, RLD Musemplein, all easily walkable) It can be a lot of walking but that's all part of exploring this beautiful city!

We didn't get the breakfast but when I walked in to get my free coffee to go the breakfast spread looked delicious. On New Years eve the Hotel had doughnuts in the lobby and on New Years day there was apples and croissants! Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would completely stay here again.

And definitley catch the 197 bus to the airport. Easy and friendly on the wallet. Plus the hotel is one of the first stops so you have a great chance of getting a seat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is part of a big chain with various types and levels of hotels. This one is located a in very typical Amsterdam style building. It used to house a very different high end, upper class hotel, but NH is a different matter. The outside is still nice, but inside it has never been renewed and rooms are now very outdated. Think a lot of wood panelling and dark. You can still see that it used to be classy, but clearly not any more. It seems NH still thinks it can take the credits from the former high end hotel.
The bathroom has designer fittings, but that´s about the only stylish thing left. The room size is adequate, but the TV was old school and no flat screen. Mine was broken and got very quickly replaced.
Reception staff is friendly, but the lobby & reception area is filled with too much marketing and commercial material which gives it a cheap look.Overall you get the feeling of a middle of the road motel chain.
There is an Italian restaurant in the hotel, but this was closed for an unclear reason. My room was opposite an elevator and the window overlooked a roof with aircon machines. Cleaning staff left room doors open while working somewhere, not very safe.

if you need some cheap accommodation, you get what you see, Amsterdam has however so much more and nicer hotels, for a better price-quality.

Room Tip: Check the location of your room e.g. view from window and what it is overlooking (roof, street, pati...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for placing your comment. We are happy to read that you found our service level satisfying. However we deeply regret to read that we were not able to meet up to your expectations regarding the product that we offer. We are delighted to inform you that we are currently busy updating our product, for example the mentioned televisions will be renewed in the nearby future.
Would it be possible to send us your e-mail address, so we can talk about this per e-mail?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Tim Lebbink
Operations Manager
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel was very clean, staff where very polite and helpful. Our room was really nice everything you need, the bed was so comfy...not to far really from everything, the only thing that did bother me was the smell of guests smoking in there rooms. And not fags!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel last year over new year and found a good price so decided to stay again. Check in was fine with lovely hotel staff. Everytime we walked past reception there was always a hello and they were helpful with transport times etc.

Unfortunately on NYE I had my bag stolen not far from the hotel. This is nothing to do with the hotel or to say that the area is bad as it is far from it. I suppose it was just the time and it was busy outside so an easy opportunity! The reception staff were beyond helpful, they looked outside, told me what to do regarding reporting it and even offered me a cake and glass of water!

The hotel is in perfect location right by leide square and tram stops. Will definitely go back, amazing place and great hotel!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear guest,

What a pleasure to read that you decided to return to our hotel and again had a great stay. We really appreciate you sharing your experiences. The compliments regarding the reception staff will definitely be shared. Thank you very much.

We hope to welcome you once again at the NH Amsterdam Centre!
Kind regards,

Tim Lebbink
Operations Manager

Been to NH Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!