“Great Location, but, Oh the Games!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Centre

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 7, Amsterdam 1054 ES, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #101 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Alberta Canada
“Great Location, but, Oh the Games!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before, one year ago. We thought we would try again because we love the location. I suspect this will be our last stay. We booked a superior room, and on the first night had no working tv, no working bar fridge, no light above the sink/vanity. The view however was excellent and the room size and cleanliness very good. We were moved the next day to a supposedly same level room which clearly was an upgrade. I believe this hotel, again this year, tried to give us a lower quality room than we booked, hoping to get away with it. The breakfast here is very good but very pricy. You can do much better away from the hotel for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room 209 if you book a superior king room!!!! Or ask for a street view not inside....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Czech first
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and would recommend the area highly though for the standard of the hotel it is very expensive . on saying that Amsterdam seems to be very expensive as a general rule in any ways . The room we were shown was at the back and was looking into another building so we paid an extra premium to be at the front which was appx £ 12 a day .. it was worth it in my eyes as enabled to pop back for a rest during days and have a nice view of real life outside - coffee etc was provided in rooms .. The rooms are basic but fine and the beds are good though the double beds are tiny and best to go for twins i think .. stick them together ..
In summary good hotels and great location just expensive for the standard of the hotel . The staff however can not be faulted and are very good ..

Didnt try the breakfast as its so expensive , better to go to the canals in front of the Rijks for break fast or the leidsplein even ..

good luck .

ps getting to amsterdam central walk over bridge and get the 5 tram line which run every 10 minutes , the one at the hotel entrance is every 40 minutes !! ish .. and it is 5 minutes to vondel park from the hotel and 10 the Rijks which is just amazing .. worth ot simply to visit the shop .. Go at 9-15 am no tickets or queue will be involved

Room Tip: front of hotel on upper floors 4 and above ..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
strasbourg ,france
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went there as a group.Ideal central location ,even near boats.All town can be made easily by foot.The hotel is of classical european standards .We did see no matters except that singular sentence during the check in "i will tell you if your room is free after you 've given your credit card number"(??).Rather modern inside outfit,clean hotel,staff of good level ,although roommates
don't say you hello.Rooms seemed very small to us, cleaning was made very late.Prices of massages are double of what we saw this year in Spain and Germany for the same service.Be very careful in Amsterdam about bycicles it is sincerely very dangerous__people don'tcare.
I recommand this hotel for what is is :a good well located standard hotel.

Room Tip: be careful even in hotel and all hotel eating areas about thieves.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I really don't understand where all the bad/mediocre reviews are coming from, before I visited this hotel I was looking on here thinking "what have I done!"
However I was pleasantly surprised when I had an excellent 2 nights stay in this hotel.
The bedroom was spotless, and a decent size! (maybe this is because I'm english?!)
The whole place is very modern, and this nonsense about dirty carpets in the hallways, I had a good look and they are barely noticeable!!!
The bed itself was really nice and soft but not too soft
The only small complaint I do have is there seemed to be some ants around the desk area but nothing to bother us too much.
When we checked in they tried to offer us breakfast which was quite expensive and you can get a great breakfast 2 minute walk away in Leidseplein square for cheap.
They also offered us to upgrade to a better room with a "view of the road", which we declined.
We then went to our room which had a view of the road anyway!!
The wifi personally didn't work for me but my boyfriend got his working fine for 24 hours.
The location is perfect, Leidseplein is a great spot to stay in Amsterdam as it is around 15 minute walk away from Red Light District and a 2 minute walk away from the Leidseplein square and Vondelpark which is a lovely place to visit night or day.
However, The italian restaurant in the hotel is a waste of time and far too expensive. I had a horrible lasagne that was made without tomato sauce, was dry, burnt, and had different fillings to what it said on the menu.
Dizzee Rascal was checking in just as we were checking out!
All in all would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel located near the Leidseplein and vondelpark for 4 nights. Checked in around midnight and the receptionist was very helpful and nice despite the time. I got a dbl room which was quite big and clean with very comfortable beds. Howevere the bathroom was very small compared to the room overall surface. Wifi was free and available everywhere in the hotel. They had amazing varying breakfasts and i d like to emphasize the fact that i could configure totally different menu each time. Self service of course. There is also a fitness facility wnich i didint use actually just check it and, as im pretty active person, found it a lil poor equipped. Location is just fine, lots of bus and tram stops around, lots of restaurants and so on. Oh, the girls in the reeption lept on smiling all the time, mybe its just their policy. Very good recommendation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Woking, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

2 complaints:
1) Internet service AWFUL! Wi-fi PAINFULLY slow, so we bought (at 9 euros per 24 hours!) 'fast' Ethernet connection (only able to use computer on desk w/connection to Ethernet cable). Even then, the connection had to be reset over and over as it continually disconnected. And my phone simply wouldn't connect at all. Woman at front desk was very kind and tried to sort it for me but when she couldn't, she got me on the phone to speak directly to Swisscom and although the woman was polite and tried to help, we just kept going round in circles where everything she told me to do, did nothing. Ended up spending almost half an hour on the phone to eventually be told it was a fault with my phone! A fault, apparently, that only happens in this particular hotel as was able to connect everywhere else in Amsterdam!

2. There was an INCREDIBLY RUDE woman who worked at breakfast 'welcome desk'. On Saturday, we witnessed her actually tell a man off for having the 'audacity' to take one banana and one apple from the fruit selection and take them with him. She told him he was not allowed to take 'his lunch' from the breakfast buffet! Now surely, it's one thing if the guy had been filling his backup up with food -- but taking one or two pieces of fruit after having paid either 17 euros or 20 euros (depending on whether he'd pre-booked) for breakfast, SURELY should 'entitle' him to a couple of pieces of fruit to take away? At the very least, it's an incredibly common thing for people to do and something we've NEVER seen ANY other hotel get shirty about!

On Sunday we did not have breakfast in the hotel but I went to buy a cup of coffee from the bar. No one was there, so I went over to the breakfast lady who was standing with a kind-looking male co-worker. I politely asked if, as no one at the bar, I could buy a cup of coffee from them. They both told me, simultaneously, and with smiles, to 'help myself' without charge to their coffee machines. Very kind! But then when my sleepy eyes didn't see the little cold milk jugs, I went to the big milk jugs by the breakfast cereals, and this woman followed me and practically accused me of trying to steal a bowl of cereal! As I left, walking between them, just as I was smiling at her co-worker and saying thank you to him, the woman (who had her back to me) said a loud "YOU'RE WELCOME!" as if I had no intention of thanking her too which I would've done had she given me half a second! This woman MUST go!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Four years ago I also stayed here so I can compare. I now booked through Priceline and got a room for a Sunday night for just 56$ plus costs, 54 euro, so I shouldn't complain. And the staff are wonderful.
I had a problem with my credit card but it didn't matter. And they know that through Priceline also the citytax is paid. At first I got room 240, but I didn't like the noise at the back of the hotel (some generator) and got then room 537, almost quiet.
When coming back at night I could not use the TV remote control. Didn't work at all, just the buttons on the very old TV (not flat-screen) but bad reception.
I could not sleep due to the hard bed (I now need ulra-soft matrasses).
There was sometimes a inside or outside noise all night so I was happy I could leave in the morning.
The whole atmosphere in the boring room was nothing to write home about. Despite low price I won't be back. Now they had abandoned the free oranges and free lobby internet PC . There's free wifi but I can't use that. On TV was a keyboard. For what? The whole TV was useless. And tiny bathroom with small bath and poor shower. Earlier this year I liked NH Musica better but that's far away from the centre.
No swimming pool. Breakfast 20 euro so I didn't take.

Room Tip: On the front there's street noise and in the back there's generator noise, but 5th floor was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to NH Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!