“Near the centre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Centre

You added NH Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade, 7 | City Center, Vondelpark, 1054ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #84 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Krakow, Poland
“Near the centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel located near the Leidseplein and vondelpark for 4 nights. Checked in around midnight and the receptionist was very helpful and nice despite the time. I got a dbl room which was quite big and clean with very comfortable beds. Howevere the bathroom was very small compared to the room overall surface. Wifi was free and available everywhere in the hotel. They had amazing varying breakfasts and i d like to emphasize the fact that i could configure totally different menu each time. Self service of course. There is also a fitness facility wnich i didint use actually just check it and, as im pretty active person, found it a lil poor equipped. Location is just fine, lots of bus and tram stops around, lots of restaurants and so on. Oh, the girls in the reeption lept on smiling all the time, mybe its just their policy. Very good recommendation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Woking, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

2 complaints:
1) Internet service AWFUL! Wi-fi PAINFULLY slow, so we bought (at 9 euros per 24 hours!) 'fast' Ethernet connection (only able to use computer on desk w/connection to Ethernet cable). Even then, the connection had to be reset over and over as it continually disconnected. And my phone simply wouldn't connect at all. Woman at front desk was very kind and tried to sort it for me but when she couldn't, she got me on the phone to speak directly to Swisscom and although the woman was polite and tried to help, we just kept going round in circles where everything she told me to do, did nothing. Ended up spending almost half an hour on the phone to eventually be told it was a fault with my phone! A fault, apparently, that only happens in this particular hotel as was able to connect everywhere else in Amsterdam!

2. There was an INCREDIBLY RUDE woman who worked at breakfast 'welcome desk'. On Saturday, we witnessed her actually tell a man off for having the 'audacity' to take one banana and one apple from the fruit selection and take them with him. She told him he was not allowed to take 'his lunch' from the breakfast buffet! Now surely, it's one thing if the guy had been filling his backup up with food -- but taking one or two pieces of fruit after having paid either 17 euros or 20 euros (depending on whether he'd pre-booked) for breakfast, SURELY should 'entitle' him to a couple of pieces of fruit to take away? At the very least, it's an incredibly common thing for people to do and something we've NEVER seen ANY other hotel get shirty about!

On Sunday we did not have breakfast in the hotel but I went to buy a cup of coffee from the bar. No one was there, so I went over to the breakfast lady who was standing with a kind-looking male co-worker. I politely asked if, as no one at the bar, I could buy a cup of coffee from them. They both told me, simultaneously, and with smiles, to 'help myself' without charge to their coffee machines. Very kind! But then when my sleepy eyes didn't see the little cold milk jugs, I went to the big milk jugs by the breakfast cereals, and this woman followed me and practically accused me of trying to steal a bowl of cereal! As I left, walking between them, just as I was smiling at her co-worker and saying thank you to him, the woman (who had her back to me) said a loud "YOU'RE WELCOME!" as if I had no intention of thanking her too which I would've done had she given me half a second! This woman MUST go!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Four years ago I also stayed here so I can compare. I now booked through Priceline and got a room for a Sunday night for just 56$ plus costs, 54 euro, so I shouldn't complain. And the staff are wonderful.
I had a problem with my credit card but it didn't matter. And they know that through Priceline also the citytax is paid. At first I got room 240, but I didn't like the noise at the back of the hotel (some generator) and got then room 537, almost quiet.
When coming back at night I could not use the TV remote control. Didn't work at all, just the buttons on the very old TV (not flat-screen) but bad reception.
I could not sleep due to the hard bed (I now need ulra-soft matrasses).
There was sometimes a inside or outside noise all night so I was happy I could leave in the morning.
The whole atmosphere in the boring room was nothing to write home about. Despite low price I won't be back. Now they had abandoned the free oranges and free lobby internet PC . There's free wifi but I can't use that. On TV was a keyboard. For what? The whole TV was useless. And tiny bathroom with small bath and poor shower. Earlier this year I liked NH Musica better but that's far away from the centre.
No swimming pool. Breakfast 20 euro so I didn't take.

Room Tip: On the front there's street noise and in the back there's generator noise, but 5th floor was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Zürich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Pefectly located next to Leidseplein and Vondelpark, right on main tram routes, we chose this hotel to make our getaway break in Amsterdam easy. The room was clean and comfortable but there were three things that really bothered me: the crap hotel wifi (this drives me mad in 2013), the ancient cathode-ray TV that I couldn't plug my iPad into and the charge of 20 euros for an average buffet breakfast. So if you're not bothered about wifi, breakfast or TV I'd give it four stars, but otherwise it's a three.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Salvador, San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Normally, a guest will not write a comment either had a poor or great experience.
I been in luxury hotels such as Ritz Carlton or Mandarin Oriental, and I can say now that this hotel NH AMSTERDAM CENTRE had achieved for me the same level of service that those luxury hotels provide.

My experience in this hotel was just some weeks ago, my friend and I did a Europe trip for one month visiting 7 countries. This hotel has a perfect location, wifi-included, full amenities in room and perfect for a business traveller as well.
The highlight was that I forgot my purse in this hotel, inside the purse were very special belongings and expensive i must say.
I did not realize i forget until one week later, by this time I was in Brussels and I decide to stay in another NH hotel, therefore I realized my purse was not with me. Immediately, I called NH AMSTERDAM CENTRE and they carefully saved my belongings. The General Manager put in contact with me and took care of sending my belongings to the hotel in Brussels.

Im so thankfull because each employee took the time and the interest to send my belongings, in both hotels NH BRUSSELS AND NH AMSTERDAM.
For the price you pay in this hotel, you wouldnt expect such a great service.

I truly recommend anyone to visit this hotel chain, Ill definitely will, next year on my europe visit.

BEST REGARDS TO ALL.
THANKS
Miss. Coreas

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'll try to keep this brief - in all honesty, I wanted to give this 3.5 stars out of 5, but it didn't seem to let me choose 3.5 - either 3 or 4.
I hadn't read any recent reviews before I took my trip - I did not want to be influenced.
Check in was good - a slight wait of about 3-5 mins, and then a couple of forms to complete - but all good. Directed to the lifts to find my room on one of the upper floors.
Lift ok - and then the lift stops and the doors open - and alas, the carpet is well worn out, and a pukey browny/grey colour.
I didn't really take too much notice of the carpet between the lifts and my room - but a lot of reviews on here do mention the carpets need replacing.
Anyway - onto the room - a non-smoking room requested - told that the whole hotel was now non-smoking - but I believe this has been a recent change - as soon as I opened the door, I could smell cigarette smoke - so maybe the former smoking rooms are in need of a deep cleanse/refresh - this same smell greeted me every time I came back to my room.
The room itself was relatively small - but not excessively - but had a desk, chair, a stool (?) and a double bed - and TV - the TV was surprisingly not flat screen - I'd have thought a 4* hotel would have upgraded to flat screen TVs by now?
There was TV on demand - with their daily special offer of 24.50 euros to watch anything - slightly excessive, having stayed in a London hotel a few years ago and having a very similar deal at £7.50GBP.
As it was, some of the TV channels were very poor reception - but I didn't really come to Amsterdam to watch TV.
The view out of my window was of the Marriott hotel.....if only! Actually the NH is not that bad - and I'm sure the Marriott would be suitably more expensive.
This is aan observartion, rather than a criticism - but the bedroom floor was hard wood - no carpet - this seems to becoming a common theme - so cannot complain about the carpet in the room.
Finally - on the room - the shower was not exactly a power shower - it was adequate - but not great.

Onto service - and I have no complaints on this score - the staff are friendly, professional and knowledgable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in August. The hotel is very close to the buzzing Leidseplein and the beautiful Vondelpark. We booked through Priceline and got a pretty good rate (althought I think we could have gotten something even lower!) When we got to check-in early in the morning to drop off our bags (we knew check-in time wasn't till later) they said they could not guarantee a double room, but we made it quite clear that we would not accept a twin. When we got back to pick up our keys, we were pleased to see we had double rooms. The rooms are nice and seemed clean - although the bathrooms are pretty small. Bed wasn't that comfortable. It had all the necessities like hairdryer and iron (very important to the OH!)
The breakfast is ridiculously expensive, enough cafes and restaurants around to go eat outside.
there is a nice looking bar downstairs but we never used it
Overall, I would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to NH Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!