“Budget Hotel ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel

You added Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel to your Saves list
Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Verlengde Van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, 1114 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #249 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Budget Hotel ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here for a night. This one is near to the airport and perfect if you want to stay in Amsterdam for a night. You can get train to and fro for city centre from airport very easily. And there are free bus transportation service provided by hotel on hourly basis. Altogether it wont take more then 25 mins to reach city centre. You need to confirm correctly if you want early check in. Otherwise you will have no option but to seat on the couch till 2 PM.

Would definitely stay here next time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Jignesh V,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all our guests have a great experience in our hotels.

We will do our best to provide an early check-in for all our guest, but we need to make sure that the rooms are clean and checked.

We are pleased to find out that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Team of the Bastion Hotel Groep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

If you buy a budget hotel, don't expect perfection!
The hotel is perfectly located for someone on a budget who wants to explore Amsterdam while being far enough away from the vomit and hordes of Burberry-wearing Brits. It's located on the outskirts of the city, near to the airport. I didn't once hear any planes and I didn't struggle to sleep at all.
There's a metro stop just 5 minutes walk from the hotel and it was just a 10 minute ride to get into the centre.
The receptionists spoke good English and they were very helpful. The gave me directions to the nearest metro. The parking is nice and secure too.
Didn't use the restaurant, but it looked very nice.
The rooms were exactly what I expect for the low price I paid. The beds were basic, but comfortable and the shower worked. All good and I left Amsterdam having had a successful trip that included no cannabis-induced dribbling!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris F,

We are pleased to find out that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in Amsterdam and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have never experienced hotel staff, which would be more arrogant and rude. When I arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was busy with another couple checking in, so I stood aside and waited. Even though I stood at the very end of the reception desk, a good 1,5 meters from them, the receptionist barked at me that he was busy. I said that I could see and I was happy waiting. But he asked me to leave- specifically I was asked to make 4 steps back and wait at the door of the hotel instead of at the reception desk, because I was apparently "in his space".
The safe at the room did not work because someone left it locked. When I went to the reception to ask if someone could open it for me, I got a similar reaction. It took 3 visits to the reception and the whole day of begging to get someone to open the safe.

The room was really dirty with dust everywhere and a spider. They never vacuum cleaned it either, so after a week I had difficulties breathing there.

The hotel is located between 4 main roads without a crossing for pedestrians, so you will need to be ready to cross at least two of them if you want to walk to the metro or anywhere else. The hotel is also conveniently located next to one of the largest prisons. There is nothing around it except of one petrol station.

The worst thing, when you check in, they ask you to pay a tax and promise to give you the invoice when you leave. When you check out, they of course dont give you any invoice. I luckily remembered and specifically asked for it, but was too busy running to catch my flight to have a look. Only when I left I realised they charged me for two people, even though I was there alone. I called the hotel (where every receptionist calls him/herself a manager, but you will never get to speak to the real manager), they asked for my credit card number and all its details over the phone and never sent me the money back. So not only did I pay extra, now I have to constantly keep checking my card to make sure someone is not stealing from it.

The hotel is also really overpriced. You can easily stay anywhere else at the outskirts of Amsterdam for much less at a luxurious 4 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Martina65423,

We wish to thank you for your stay at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel and for your elaborate comments. As per your comments, we appreciate to get in contact with you. Please contact the head offices E-commerce department of the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Once again we wish to thank you for your comments and we hope to be in contact with you soon.

Zaphyrah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel from the 20th June till 23d. The hotel is in a very good location near to Amsterdam city center {Central station only 10 min.with a tram} and close to Arena 5 min, with the tram. We visited Amsterdam for a Tom Jones concert which took place in Ziggo Dome so it was very convinient the hotel. The staff in the hotel is excellent always with a smile and willing to help you and answer all your questions. Breakfast is delicious with a huge variety from bread, cheese, cereals, yoghurts and fruit salad.
Overall we were very impressed with the whole Amsterdam city and the dutch people. I believe they are the friendliest people I have ever met.
Thanks for everybody

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor very nice view. Tram station only 5 min,walk straight down from the hotel ent...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Zaphyrah,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a great experience at our hotel.

We are pleased to find out that you loved your stay and that the staff contributed to a better stay! The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to provide an excellent service by trying our hardest to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you very much for the compliment about the Dutch people!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Gloucester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I was given my room key, which did not work the lift and did not open the door to my room so I took it back to reception to be told that the keys were printed incorrectly and needed to be put in the wrong way round - why wasn't I or anyone else told this? There were others asking the same questions. Lots of people were failing to get the lift to work too. The room was dusty under the bed, there were no extra pillows. On the positive side, this hotel is close enough to The Ziggodome to walk there so on that count I would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear seanfunk,

Whilst we are pleased with the good comments, we really value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We are sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we always strive for excellence in customer service, we are keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team for further development.

With sincere regards,

Team of the Bastion Hotel Groep.
Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent some days in this hotel. It wasn't that easy to reach the place because is a 10-minute walk from the station. Other than that, we couldn't complain. Both the room and the bathroom were clean, beds were kinda hard, the mini bar was perfect to store beverages, and the Internet was fast and free. The booking price was fair, especially considering we arrived in Valentine's day!

Room Tip: The only way to reach he city center is going to the Overamstel Station, which isn't near the ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear killthepixelnow,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us on Valentines Day. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a great experience at our hotel.

We are pleased to find out that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff contributed to a romantic stay! The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to provide an excellent service by trying our hardest to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Two good things to say.
First, relatively nice smoking lodge downstairs.
Second, daytime staff is pleasant and very nice.

Now about the content of disappointment.
Unreasonably expensive.
Night staff is rude.
Room was not satisfactorily clean.
Bed linen do not fit to the bed size.
Keycards needed everywhere, including elevators, and they work badly: need to use them several times.
The pictures in the room were horrible. That is not a subject of taste: the square meter of pseudo-painted rusty sheet iron was so distracting that we had to remove it from the wall.

Finally, we have been charged twice for the accommodation. First before stay, and then again on checkout. And after three weeks after visit the problem is not yet resolved.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Firstly, we wish to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and effort to inform us about your experience during your stay at the Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. Reading your comment about the poor service and breakfast, we felt disheartened and we would like to apologize for this.

Your comments are important to us and will be used to further develop our staff members in exceeding our commitment in offering our guest personal hospitality, safety and a high level of service. Despite your unpleasant stay at the Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, we do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you in one of our other hotels in the near future.

With kind regards,

The team of the Bastion Hotel Groep.