“A great hotel - ignore the bad reviews i'd highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel

Save Saved
You added Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel to your Saves list
Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Verlengde Van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, 1114 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #236 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“A great hotel - ignore the bad reviews i'd highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

After myself and my partner had been to Amsterdam previously - we decided we would come for New Years Eve 2013. We were greeted at the Airport with a private taxi supplied by the Bastion which got our five day break off to a great start. When we arrived at the hotel the staff were nothing but helpful and polite and asked if we had any specific requests or needs. As it was the holiday period they supplied each guest with details of public transport running across the new year and directions to the nearest Metro station, which was a short five minute walk away. When we got to our room it was immaculate, with comfortable beds, a powerful shower, a mini fridge and tea and coffee making facilites. The bar served a wide range of beers and spirits and we were constantly supplied with complimentary snacks. Whilst at the hotel we managed to experience a fairly hungover New Years Day breakfast buffet! There was a huge variety of cold and hot food and we were given free Prosecco to welcome in the New Year! Our room was tidied every afternoon with all the towels, cups and refreshments replaced - as well as the sheets being changed every day. We will be back this New Year and we will definitely be back to the Bastion!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Eigenaar at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear guest,

We want to thank you very much for your stay at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. We are pleased to find out that you have enjoyed the personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities and all of this you have translated in a nice review!

We hope you had a nice stay in Amsterdam. Our hotel is perfectly situated for guests who want to experience Amsterdam. Close to Amsterdam, free parking and a 10 minute drive to the city centre.

Very nice to hear that you are definitely coming back next year. I recommend you to book early, because then the prices are very reasonable.

We are looking forward to celebrate a new, healthy and succesfull 2015!

Team of the Bastion Hotel Groep

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Larnaka, Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Service was terrible. Behavior of the staff unprofessional. The breakfast was very expensive and we had a problem in check out with the bar bill. Nearest metro station 2,5 km. Take taxi from there 50€ minimum to the town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Bastion Hotel G, Eigenaar at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear guest,

We have received your review regarding the Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel on Tripadvisor. We would like to thank you very much for that!

First of all we would like to apologize for the fact that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

We are very sorry to hear that the staff was unprofessional. We acknowledge that a good service from the staff contributes to a pleasant stay in the hotel.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

The Bastion Hotel Groep wants to offer each guest personal hospitality and a high level of service.

We are truly sorry and we hope you can accept our apologies.

Team Bastion Hotel Groep
Solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the room was clean, warm and comfortable. One issue that we had was that the stair bannisters were being painted, we didn't understand the signs which were in Dutch, my husband got paint on the sleeve of his jacket. Perhaps international signs would have prevented this. Needless to say the reception staff were really helpful in trying to remove the paint. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room by the station but were not trouble by any noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Eigenaar at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the review which you have posted on Tripadvisor.
As we can see you have experienced the personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities of Bastion Hotel Groep and you have summarized it in a great review! Thank you very much for that.

We are very sorry that you got paint on the sleeve of your jacket. The next time we will mark it also in English.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our hotels!

Team Bastion Hotel Groep
Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Before travelling, I read a lot of reviews regarding this hotel and I must say, I disagree with many of the bad reviews in my experience.

We travelled here in Nov 2013 for a show in the Ziggo Dome.

Firstly, very easy to get to from anywhere! From Schiphol, get the train to Amsterdam-Zuid, then jump on a Metro towards Spaklerweg and get off at Overamstel. Then a simple straight 5-6 min walk which is safe and secure.Then to get to City Centre. Just get the Metro to Spaklerweg and head towards Amsterdam-Centraal. You can also get to Amsterdam Arena/ or Ziggo Dome if you head towards Gein.

On arrival, we were greeted by very friendly staff who were more than happy to help. We stayed on the 5th floor, and chose to book a deluxe room (which was €26 more, but worth it). The deluxe rooms just have nicer things. Nicer TV, good bathroom, and all clean.

One thing that people complained about, was that you had to use your key-card to access the lift, and all hallways. I actually like this idea, it's very safe and secure.

We did not have food in this hotel as it was very expensive. The Petrol Station/ Car Garage outside provides cheap food and is just perfect.

We had one issue. On departure, the fee was approx. €62 over our expected fee. I consulted reception and it turned out that they were trying to charge us for breakfast which we were never offered, nor did we have. I displayed my booking.com booking details form where it clearly stated 'NO BREAKFAST' and displayed the total charge. The problem was quickly rectified and we were not charged. The staff member was quite rude but oh well, we all have bad days.

Overall, cheap, clean and nice. We got it for a great price and we will possibly return in 2014.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room. Slightly more expensive, but well-worth it for a good experience.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Short weekend stay at the Bastion Deluxe hotel in Amsterdam.

Check-in was a bit messy as there were 3 receptionists, only 1 of them actually taking care of the guests.

My room was on the 10th floor, first impression was that the room was quite worn out and not that clean. Bed was very low and very soft, kind of strange feeling.

Bathroom was basic, no frills, but also not very clean.

Waked up at night many times due to lots of noise in the rooms surrounding me.

Free parking - this is a plus in A'dam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Staff is somewhat friendly and helpful but check-in was very slow.upon entering room hallway was dirty and smelly. Once we entered room we were shocked by the size! The rooms are very, very small for the price. Beds were old small and very uncomfortable. But the worst was Sat morning when we woke to no hot water. When I approached staff about it they seemed unconcerned and really didn't seem to care. When I asked when it would be fixed the said they had called someone. Then to add insult to injury I went to the bar area and asked for a glass of ice and a coffee that was on the bar top in a pump. I got a coffee and ice the person working the bar said that would be 3 euro. I told them how dare you even ask me to pay when part of my stay includes a hot shower!!!!! Extremely rude I thought. Its free parking but no hot water was not worth it.Will never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

just stay away.
it an ok hotel a little over priced due to its location and the service they offer.
i have been to worst hotel in the past since i travel a lot but i never encountered such bad service by hotel staff
they treated us like we did them a favor that we chose this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel? Share your experiences!