“Very basic hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Verlengde Van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, 1114 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #245 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Belgium
“Very basic hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Short weekend stay at the Bastion Deluxe hotel in Amsterdam.

Check-in was a bit messy as there were 3 receptionists, only 1 of them actually taking care of the guests.

My room was on the 10th floor, first impression was that the room was quite worn out and not that clean. Bed was very low and very soft, kind of strange feeling.

Bathroom was basic, no frills, but also not very clean.

Waked up at night many times due to lots of noise in the rooms surrounding me.

Free parking - this is a plus in A'dam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Staff is somewhat friendly and helpful but check-in was very slow.upon entering room hallway was dirty and smelly. Once we entered room we were shocked by the size! The rooms are very, very small for the price. Beds were old small and very uncomfortable. But the worst was Sat morning when we woke to no hot water. When I approached staff about it they seemed unconcerned and really didn't seem to care. When I asked when it would be fixed the said they had called someone. Then to add insult to injury I went to the bar area and asked for a glass of ice and a coffee that was on the bar top in a pump. I got a coffee and ice the person working the bar said that would be 3 euro. I told them how dare you even ask me to pay when part of my stay includes a hot shower!!!!! Extremely rude I thought. Its free parking but no hot water was not worth it.Will never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

just stay away.
it an ok hotel a little over priced due to its location and the service they offer.
i have been to worst hotel in the past since i travel a lot but i never encountered such bad service by hotel staff
they treated us like we did them a favor that we chose this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The food at hotel horrible and over priced the waitresses was playing with her hair then slicing bread
You will have to pay a tax charge per night per person for entering Holland overall the hotel said they couldn't provide a double bed and all rooms are twin beds not good for couples

• Stayed October 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The male staff in this hotel were very very helpful. Can't say the same about some of the female staff. .massive chips on some of their shoulders.was supposed to sleep 5.but only slept 4.the food was ok bit a bit pricey.if your not white you ain't right!

• Stayed October 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013

Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

As you can see from other posts, this property is very basic. I did not experience any issues during my stay, with a few exceptions noted below.

PRO's

• Room was clean
• Food was decent (not great)
• Within walking distance of train station (good and bad)
• Inexpensive by European standards
• Small refrigerator in room
• Friendly shuttle driver

CON's

• Constant slamming of doors that echoes through the hallways. This is because each floor has a separate exterior door allowing access to the guest rooms, perhaps for security issues?
• Twin bedded room. While this is more common in Europe, the LOW bed height is not
• The front desk is constantly “preoccupied”. It’s hard to believe they are THAT busy all the time, perhaps they are understaffed
• Small room, small work area for laptop

If this property were in the States, it would be somewhere between a Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn. It is a budget property perhaps intended for students looking for inexpensive, short term stays.

Overall I would give it a 70/100 mainly because I didn’t experience the issues noted by others (security issues, cleanliness). If I did, it would be a deal breaker.

I would consider staying elsewhere in the future, but might return for a one night stay if absolutely necessary

Room Tip: Stay away from railroad tracks on the back side of the building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Was booked into this hotel for an intended 10-day business trip.

When I arrived, I was a tad taken aback at how basic it looked outside. Not quite 'deluxe' as the name suggests, more motel perhaps. There's ample parking outside so great for those driving I suppose. Inside, it looks like it could do with a makeover - rather dated, bare, and as mentioned earlier, basic setting.

Having said that, the room was fairly large and comfortable though. There's a TV, consistent flow of hot water in the shower, good Wifi connection, clean sheets. Nothing outstanding, but decent and bearable nonetheless.

The thing that worked against the hotel is perhaps its location. Situated in the ring roads outside of downtown Amsterdam, it isn't really convenient if you need to be near the action of town, or if you work there like I did. The nearest train station is about 8-10 minutes' walk. You'd need to change trains if you want to head to Central Station which will take another 25 minutes. So quite a commute. Tried to cab in once and it cost me 30 Euros!

And because it is in a light industrial estate, there's really not much to do after dark. No restaurants, bars, clubs, supermarkets, convenience stores to speak of. Streets are empty and quiet. There's a McDonald's but that's a good 20-minute walk away. So really, your best bet is the restaurant and bar within the hotel which serves decent grub, thankfully.

Though there were reviews questioning the hotel's security, I was fortunate enough not to experience any of that.

After 2 nights, I checked out and moved to a newer hotel in the city. So nothing critical against the hotel but the (long) commute got to me especially after a long day in the office.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel? Share your experiences!