“Basic hotel best suited for transit visitors” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel

You added Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel to your Saves list
Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Verlengde Van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, 1114 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #247 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Singapore
“Basic hotel best suited for transit visitors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Was booked into this hotel for an intended 10-day business trip.

When I arrived, I was a tad taken aback at how basic it looked outside. Not quite 'deluxe' as the name suggests, more motel perhaps. There's ample parking outside so great for those driving I suppose. Inside, it looks like it could do with a makeover - rather dated, bare, and as mentioned earlier, basic setting.

Having said that, the room was fairly large and comfortable though. There's a TV, consistent flow of hot water in the shower, good Wifi connection, clean sheets. Nothing outstanding, but decent and bearable nonetheless.

The thing that worked against the hotel is perhaps its location. Situated in the ring roads outside of downtown Amsterdam, it isn't really convenient if you need to be near the action of town, or if you work there like I did. The nearest train station is about 8-10 minutes' walk. You'd need to change trains if you want to head to Central Station which will take another 25 minutes. So quite a commute. Tried to cab in once and it cost me 30 Euros!

And because it is in a light industrial estate, there's really not much to do after dark. No restaurants, bars, clubs, supermarkets, convenience stores to speak of. Streets are empty and quiet. There's a McDonald's but that's a good 20-minute walk away. So really, your best bet is the restaurant and bar within the hotel which serves decent grub, thankfully.

Though there were reviews questioning the hotel's security, I was fortunate enough not to experience any of that.

After 2 nights, I checked out and moved to a newer hotel in the city. So nothing critical against the hotel but the (long) commute got to me especially after a long day in the office.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Maik Willems

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Checked in today to find a Brazilian couple doing the marathon had had their safe cleaned out. Passports, cards, cash gone. Hotel referred them to the police. Reception explained that they have a time record of the room being entered but no cameras in the hallways. Hard to see what else the reception could do at that point in time.

Until I read the other review below. The complaining about cash going missing from the safe.

It's then you start noticing that the lifts and hallway doors are also room card entry only. Odd level of security for a hotel until it's had past problems?

My experience of the hotel is that it's basic and the rooms are tired. Odd choice of wall art as another says but hardly a thing to complain about.

At dinner, the night before the marathon, they're out of pasta and rice. Can understand from a demand perspective but not that they can't send someone to get some more. How hard can that be?

Feels like a hotel being run on a tight budget.

Hotel is a bit of a walk from the tube but the tube is good for both the expo, race start and getting into Central Amsterdam.

You pays your money...

Stayed October 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Nieuw Vennep, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I will start by saying that I have not slept in this hotel, however, I have helped my in-laws during the check in process at the hotel, and what I have encountered was just really bad. To get the right set of sentiment, I would like to add that my in-laws arrived Amsterdam airport at 6.40 am (after a 19 hour trip), and check-in is possible from 2 pm, according to the booking confirmation.

When we arrived at the hotel, around 2.10 pm, there was a long line, however, we were assisted quite fast (5 minute waiting time). The GM (Maik Willems) told us we had to wait around 5 to 10 minutes to be given the room, which was still being cleaned. After 30 minutes of waiting, we went back to the frontdesk and asked the GM why it is taking so long, and here is where honestly i was a bit mind-blown...

He told me that check-in is from 2pm, and that it means that the room from that moment on is guaranteed for the night. In my opinion, a guaranteed room for the night starts the moment you get a booking confirmation and have paid your room (especially since the rate is non-refundable). I asked the GM that in his explanation it might very well be that the room for my inlaws was available at 11pm. He then replied that i do have to be "reasonable". Things were very busy and the GM does not want to give out a dirty room. I asked if he can confirm to me that check out time is at 12 noon, check in starts at 2 and if all the guests have checked out all together exactly at noon, making the staff so busy that they cannot finish a room before the check-in time. He then said that ofcourse not all the guests have checked out, but he only has 9 suites, 4 were availbale right at 2 pm but since we were a bit later than 2pm there were no more suites at this moment, and we had to wait untill the room was cleaned. There are systems in the hotel, that the GM did not want to "bore me with".

In my opinion, there is a fundamental wrong way of thinking. Check in at 2pm means a room is availble at 2pm. If you check out late without consulting the hotelstaff first, it also seems reasonable that you will be charged for that. Why then stick to a check out time, but a hotel will not stick to a check in time? If this represents the corporates opinion on hotelling, I will have to advise everyone to not book at any of the Bastion hotels.

I felt i was not being taken seriously at all. The GM offered a drink in the minibar, but the whole point is that after a 19 hour trip, 5 hours of having to wait between arrival at the airport check-in time (which is not the hotels fault ofcourse) and then another long time you just want to have a bed to sleep in. It is THAT simple. Hotels should provide for this.If the hotel is understaffed, then just say so, but dont act as if it is our fault or our problem to have to wait until 3.20pm to be able to step into the room. I have noticed the GM is replying to tripadvisor comments here, but these are all standard comments. I am very interested in his comment on this post.

Let's give them a compliment also because the room was clean. There were two single beds and a sofabed. The bathroom was very clean, with a good shower (nice hard water-flow).

I for sure will not recommend this hotel to my friends and family, but I do hope that they are able to improve their service (again... service). I feel a bit bad for giving a 1 out of 5 score, since the room is really not bad, but i have slept in crappy rooms with excellent service which i will take anytime over being treated this way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel was welcoming and I found the rooms to be clean and the staff helpful. The beds are very comfy and the water was allways hot. The hotel has a bar which was circa 4.80 Euro a pint (Which is cheap for Amsterdam) and a restaurante which looked nice. the location to Overamster station was ok around 7 mins walk, you then have to change at Spaklerweg to get to Amstredam Central, ut very frequent trains. All round a very pleasent stay. The Metro runs by the side of the hotel, but its quiet and didnt bother us at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Agree with all travelers- this is a terrible place. Also one more thing- my money got stolen from the electronic safe. HOtel refused to acknowledge the incident and denied anything could happen. really rude and condescending behaviour. have had to file a police complaint.

Room Tip: Do not stay here- thieves
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Following your review comments regarding our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel we wish to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and effort to inform us of your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as this supports us to improve areas required to ensure we do exceed our guests expectations. Please do accept our apologies for the lack of service that affected your enjoyment of your stay and disturbing experience with our employees and thieves. Please rest assured that these topics are being evaluated with our management team.

The Bastion hotel group strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest and despite your unpleasant stay at our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. We do hope to welcome you again in one of our other hotels.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Mitchel van Dijk
E-Commerce
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very disapointed by this hotel, dirty and expensive for the quality of the services and the rooms. The food was not good also and the rooms were really nothing more.
The only postive point was the attendance of the waiters which was good and professional.
But I would say, avoid it as I paid 190 Euros for a single night for a hotel I would pay 90 Euros in Paris or 100 Euros in London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Deluxe Amsterdam / Amstel? Share your experiences!