“Thieves-lost money from safe” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel

You added Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel to your Saves list
Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Verlengde Van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, 1114 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #246 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Thieves-lost money from safe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Agree with all travelers- this is a terrible place. Also one more thing- my money got stolen from the electronic safe. HOtel refused to acknowledge the incident and denied anything could happen. really rude and condescending behaviour. have had to file a police complaint.

Room Tip: Do not stay here- thieves
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Following your review comments regarding our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel we wish to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and effort to inform us of your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as this supports us to improve areas required to ensure we do exceed our guests expectations. Please do accept our apologies for the lack of service that affected your enjoyment of your stay and disturbing experience with our employees and thieves. Please rest assured that these topics are being evaluated with our management team.

The Bastion hotel group strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest and despite your unpleasant stay at our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. We do hope to welcome you again in one of our other hotels.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Mitchel van Dijk
E-Commerce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very disapointed by this hotel, dirty and expensive for the quality of the services and the rooms. The food was not good also and the rooms were really nothing more.
The only postive point was the attendance of the waiters which was good and professional.
But I would say, avoid it as I paid 190 Euros for a single night for a hotel I would pay 90 Euros in Paris or 100 Euros in London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

It was a busy place, simple rooms, enough parking lot. To the metro you have to walk 10 min. And the metro takes 15 min. to the centre. The hotel itself placed in the middle of a business park. The provided food isn't very impressive but expensive. Two nights were ok, but I'm not sure if I would book it again. One staff lady (iris) was really unfriendly! But the nightshift guy was very helpful and told us where to park at night in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have to say I believe several of the previous reviewers were being a bit generous. I knew it was not a good sign that the person in front of me during check in was not actually checking in—she had actually already checked in and come down to say that her room wasn’t clean. I also didn’t think it was a good sign that the artwork in my room was a canvas print photo of a rusting metal wall.

While not true of everybody the number of unhelpful and condescending people at the front desk was surprising. The consistent attitude was a shrug of the shoulders indicating that’s just the way it is. The safe in my colleague’s room did not work apparently because it did not have batteries. To their credit they did come the next day and put new batteries in. Unfortunately it still did not work so they left a note saying ‘must be broken’ but no offer of any other help.

I know that Amsterdam does not have a large need for air conditioning, however the week of my stay it was quite warm every day. Because the AC in the room did not work the temperature stayed a consistent 26/27 degrees Celsius (79/81 degrees Fahrenheit). We tried opening the window at night but the room temperature never dropped below 26, the noise of the construction also made it difficult to sleep—I’m not sure who does jackhammer type construction at quarter to one in the morning. I stopped by the front desk each morning to ask someone to take a look and called each day at lunchtime each day for three days. I did not get a single response, note or follow up. Each time I called on the phone the engineers were always ‘looking at it’, or ‘it must be broken’. On the second day I asked if there were a room where it did work to which the reply was “not in your room class”. When I asked if it worked in any room at all as I was willing to pay for whatever room class was necessary the response was “I’m sorry but we would have to look at each room to find out”. They never did let me know.

These are just the major things, more minor things would include a variety of thin and stained towels (some plain, some Bastion, some Best Western), free wifi that has apparently been compromised as Gmail sent me a warning note saying they would not allow email to/from that ip address, hangers with rods so smooth my suit trousers would repeatedly slide off, no queen/double size sheet for a requested double room, just two made up twins pushed together (I know European hotels generally just push the twins together however they generally do have the right size sheets and duvets), location next to a gas station and having to cross a highway to get to the walking path to the metro station.

I debated between 1 and 2 stars as it wasn’t completely without merit however in the end I had to give it one star simply due to the proactively unhelpful nature of too many of the staff in the instances noted above and others.

Room Tip: A room in a different hotel would be good
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I picked this hotel because it had free parking (a major issue in Amsterdam) and was within reach of the centre. It also proved to be well-situated from the major road routes to/from Amsterdam. I was very satisfied with my 3-night stay there.
Normally I would pick a smaller, 'family' guesthouse or hotel in a more rural location, but this is scarcely an option in Amsterdam. However I had a large, very clean, well-appointed 'twin-as-single' room with excellent ensuite bath/shower room and free wi-fi. The public rooms,bar, etc were all fine.
I ate breakfasts here and (once) dined in the restaurant. The breakfasts are a little pricey - but excellent quality and range, and (of course) are an 'all-you-can-eat' buffet. I would say they were equal to the best I had in the Netherlands and Germany. The dinner was also good quality and very well served; and the bar was also good for a large hotel.
Contrary to some reviewers' comments, the metro really is an 8~9 minutes easy walk and is a decent connection to Amsterdam Centraal (and most other locations); I too had to 'divert' once due to work on the line, but a tram/Metro combination was easy and effective.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013

Pt. Richmond, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel. It is basic but adequate anda reasonable price for Amsterdam.
Parking is available and complimentary. Restaurant meal was good. Breakfast was extra and seemed expensive so we did not have it. The underground station is an easy 8 minute walk away.
Due to construction there was no direct service and we had to change trains and then take a bus into Amsterdam center. Receptionists varied from rather curt to pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Probably worth the extra $10euro for a deluxe room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is the sixth time I've stayed in this hotel, and my last.

I had noticed on previous visits that standards were slipping, but it really was brought home this time.

The room was not terribly clean. There were no towels, we had to ask. Plenty of towels and bedding in the corridor, dirty linen on the floor for two days.

The staff were unhelpful and somewhat offhand, We had asked for a smoking room when booking, but were given a non-smoking room, despite their being empty rooms in the smoking section. No double beds was another irritation.

Deluxe? No.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies.

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Hotel Amsterdam / Amstel? Share your experiences!