“What a dump!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Townhouse Hotel to your Saves list
Townhouse Hotel
Townhouse Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Prinsengracht 816, 1017 JL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel De Harmonie) (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #154 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“What a dump!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The Townhouse Hotel is a dump. Their rooms are horrible, nasty, ugly, smelly, and disgusting. I looked at their site from your page and booked a room when I arrived at the so call "Townhouse Hotel" it does not exist. You have to go to the ITC Hotel across the street. The sign on the door at the "Townhouse Hotel" says that they are under renovation. Well when I check with the City there is no such thing that's not true. So they are very misleading people about who they are and what they are selling. Do yourself a favor stop selling rooms at this place its a nightmare. For the price its not worth it. Invest in a few extra dollars and stay at a nicer place. The ITC Hotel my room was in the Basement lot's of Bugs, and the Housekeeper idiot left my Door open after he so call "clean" my room. The sheets are dirty and smelly, I was unable to open my window because there was no window. Its a nightmare never in my life again would I stay in this dump or want to refer anyone to this dump. This is just the beginning in a series of letter's that I will write to every site that is promoting this horrible place. And on top of that the Breakfast is not even FREE you have to pay for it. The picture that they have on here is not even the real picture. Its a picture of another building so its misleading. So you yourself a favor, I know its cheap but save yourself the headache and invest in a nice room. I paid $89 a night and its not worth it. Its a nightmare.

Its a dump!

Room Tip: Do a lot of research stay away from some of these so call Bed and Breakfast that look all fancy. The...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

...but we didn't. And we didn't end up staying anyway because they lost our reservation. It being Queen's Day, they were booked. We'd walked from Centraal Station with our luggage to the address of the hotel, which had a note on the door directing us to check-in at another hotel nearby. So we walked there, where the receptionist told us she had no record of our reservation (I showed her our confirmation email), and agreed to book us at another hotel. We didn't want to make a fuss, but she wouldn't, pay for a taxi to the hotel 15 minutes away. So we left, but not before using the toilet, which was obviously a shared bathroom for the rooms -- it was stinky and dirty. We ended up being GLAD we didn't stay after all, as our replacement hotel (Atlas Hotel by Vondelpark) was excellent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
united kingdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

on our arrival we was put in another hotel so choosing your hotel was pointless............The room was very poor ......... room was tiny , curtain's did'nt fit. really old fashioned and the bedding was stained!!!! For the price we paid we could of stayed in a top hotel back home so overall very dissapointed would'nt recoomend to stay here.............

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

The Townhouse is a mere 10 m from the tram stop. I checked in at the ITC right across the street. My room was ready early which was a bonus. The stairs, all though steep as usual, were very manageable. I was in a private single room #25 on the 1st floor. The hotel is "smoker friendly" just make sure you open the window! I The hotel is within 15 minutes of the Leidsplein, Waterloopein and the Rembrandtplein. Give the Townhouse a try and hopefully you'll be as happy as I was!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

First of all, you need to check in at the ITC hotel across the road, which is cool, since i already knew that. When we got in to the town house the stairs are really steep, which they would be in Amsterdam, because all housing are created like that. when we got in to our room, the most DISGUSTING thing was that our sheets were slept in!!!!!!! not even changed.As soon as i complained they changed the sheets, which should of been done in the first place. The townhouse is on the outside of the centre, which it is 15mins walk from Rembrantplein and the Red light district is about 25mins walk. There is a trams available just outside the hotel which run every 15mins.Overall it is great for younger people, as i went with my boyfriend, it was just OK for us to get on with it. The hotel staff miss communicate a lot, but they are overall friendly, happy to help, but they are very short staff, so you may wait for help for a bit of a long time.

• Liked — the television
  • Disliked — cleaniless, shared facilties
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!