“Rats in room, worst hotel EVER!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Nieuw Slotania Hotel to your Saves list
Nieuw Slotania Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Slotermeerlaan 133, 1063 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #296 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Rats in room, worst hotel EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Their slogan "Quality, without having to pay the prize..." couldn't have been further from the truth.

I dont understand what part of the hotel, which should be a hostel was 'quality.' It was dusty, dirty and old. The place hadn't had a lick of paint since opening. It was dreary, very unlike the lively and atmospheric city, Amsterdam.

I came here for my birthday weekend and it was a complete disaster from start to finish. After the website seemed to suggest that the hotel with close to the city centre, we found that it was about a half an hour bus journey away. Ill hold my hands up and say that my boyfriend and i should of done some extra research, but it wasn't a brilliant first impression. It also wasn't explained that we would have to pay extra for breakfast.

As soon as we arrived, it was clear that they just wanted to take our money. No interest in our journey, our stay or anything. They were not friendly at all. After booking a double, we received a twin which wasn't ideal and added to our disappointment.

The room also had a mouldy smell to it. We went over to our window - obviously to see the view (which was a road) to discover HUGE mould growing up. The room hadnt been aired and every time we showered the room smelt of damp mould, it was horrible.

Our first night, neither of us slept at all. I think the walls are made out of paper rather than brick, and we could hear everything that was being said in the room next door to us. Unfortunately, it was the room next door who were the ones to get drunk and row about letting people in to the room, so we had lots of loud banging all through out the night. I have to say, it wasn't all the room next door, the hotel is generally a very loud place, with no "sound saver system?" on any of the main doors so there is a constant loud bang.

On the second night, which happened to be my birthday night we were settling down to sleep and we could hear a ruffle. When we sat up and moved the pillow, there was a huge rat or mouse IN THE BED WITH US UNDER MY PILLOW.

I was furious. And freaked. We went and complained, and received no apology. We were moved to a different room for the night and told we could make a formal complaint with the manager in the morning but getting our money back was unlikely. The nest room, to be fair to the hotel was much quieter as we were so far away from any communal doors. However, our new neighbours decided to bang the walls to tell us to be quiet for putting a plug into the socket. Thats how thin the walls are. The new room was far cleaner, but also far hotter with no air con being supplied. We were practically in the desert.

We explained the situation in the morning, to a very careless manager who's excuse was that people liked to party all night, and that it was rat and mice season - that we should of expected it. Only after stating that we would go to health authorities they decided to offer a part refund.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL experience. Never ever visit here.

Room Tip: Don't choose here. If you get any of the low 100's your in for a sleepless night. 109 is the...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Cant really say much as we only really slept in hotel as was out all days and nights, rooms were basic but clean. Staff seemed ok, cant really grumble at the price. whole place inside could do with a paint and a new carpet but for somewhere just to sleep it is fine. Isnt really close to main centre but bus and tram stop right outside hotel and come regular. if you buy a tram tram/train day ticket for €7.50 you can use it for 24 hours to go anywhere.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent a Saturday night in this Hostel with 6 other girls and while the place was quite ok in general (at least clean), excepting from the fact that the breakfast is announced as free on the website and then charged 5 euros per person, my advice would be not to go there if you are planning to party in Amsterdam. It would piss-off the staff if you come back tipsy and make a little bit too much noise. I'm talking by experience where because I was being noisy in the first floor hall on my way back to my room after enjoying Amsterdam nightlife, the night guard caught me from behind and brutaly throw me down on the floor instead of just asking me to stop chanting and playing with the furnitures around. And even when I stopped and apologised for the noise, he violently drag me by the arm to my room. Thanks for the bruises in memory of Amsterdam!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was expecting it to be aweful but this hotel was perfect for what I needed the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The hotel has a supermarket over the road and various food shops which was very handy. It's also only a 10-15 minute tram ride from dam square or €25 in a taxi. I would highly recommend this hotel if your just looking for a place to sleep

• Stayed November 2014
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

First off, why are people extremely negative about this hotel? I read these reviews and was extremely hesitant to come with my friends after reading some of the awful stories. The staff were friendly, they just deserve mutual respect, please and thank yous, try and smile and look a bit enthusiastic, and you'll get it back. The lobby was beautiful, ornate wood staircase, both vending machines working fine. As you go upstairs, it starts to show a little more wear and tear. The hallways were literally neverending, carpets were dated, walls dirty and showed age. Now for the room. We had a 4 person room, 2 bunkbeds. The flooring was dark oak wood laminate, it looked beautiful and modern. bunkbeds looked new, the mattresses really nice and comfy. The bathroom was definitely newly renovated, it had a really nice modern look. Both the wall and flooring were beige-ish tiles, everything in there was really clean and new. The TV worked perfectly, the room was warm but had a massive fan to help cool down. We left 2 days early due to personal problems. We did notice a reasonable amount of noise though, teens walking around the hallways drunk, loitering. Loud, promiscuous sounding noises were heard everywhere (not pleasant at 2am). Overall, for the price, the hotel was actually really nice. I literally haven't got any qualms with what we were offered, especially considering the price, other than the ride into the centre, which was tediously long, and the area is turkish and extremely worn down, definitely doesn't look like the centre of Dam. Fantastic if you just want to explore Amsterdam with friends or if you're backpackers, couples etc.. Maybe not a family orientated place, just because of the apparent theft (which we never came across) and the teenagers loitering around, drunk.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms, we saw the older, dull, prison looking ones, they were not nice...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

This hotel can be better defined defined as a hostel. The worst experience that I have ever had in my life. Noise, dirty everywhere, uncomfortable, poor service and very far from the city center. I hardly recommend not to stay here. Better spend some money more to go in a real hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. The staff was friendly and helpful. Theres a tram in front of the hotel taking you to central station in 20 min. The last bus leaves at 00.18 so if youre planning to stay out longer you need to consider a taxi ride costing apprx 30 euro. Therefoe one can add the cab fare to the price of the hotel meaning you can get a nicer hotel for same budget. The breakfeast buffe is decent. The guests are younger, overall this is a budget hotel with a hostel environment.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Nieuw Slotania Hotel? Share your experiences!