“Had a great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #288 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Had a great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here as a couple in February 2014 and had a lovely time. The room had enough space for both of us, towels and the bed was changed daily too and was very comfy. It was a basic room, and doesn't come with a kettle but that didnt bother us, as you could get tea etc... With breakfast which was also very nice.
Staff were fine, just left us to it really.
The hotel is situated quite far from the city centre but the tram links are fantastic. The number 14 tram takes you straight to dam square and the number 7 takes you to Liedseplein which was our personal favourite place.
For the price we paid for this hotel, we can't complain. Will be returning to Amsterdam again soon, but unfortunately will book somewhere abit closer to the centre. Otherwise would have returned here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Erlangen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

this hotel is definitely nothing special but also by far one of the cheapest hotels in Amsterdam.
Unfortunately you can hear too much from other guests like music they are playing or loud talking. The walls and the carpet had quite some stains (red ones on the walls.. don't wanna know what this was).

But the beds were comfy, everything else clean and the air conditioning worked perfectly (well the heater in my case).

Even though it is quite far outside of Amsterdam, you get a direct bus line (69; about 30 min.) to the airport and vice versa and a tram way line (14) into the city (22 minutes to the palace).

The check-in was easy and quick and they even helped me with printing a ticket I forgot at home but still was on a cloud drive.

Good point: free Wifi

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have just returned from this so called hotel. I certainly would not call this an hotel it is more like a hostel. The accomodation is very basic. Having booked 2 double rooms we ended up with 2 twin rooms where the mattresses didn't fit the bed bases and when you tried to sit on them you fell off as there was no support, as the mattresses were wider than the bases. The wasn't any drink making facilities in either room. One of the rooms wardrobe consisted of a 5 to 6 inch indentation in the wall and no hangers. The mattresses were stained with blood, semen and urine. The cleaning staff seemed to be students. The dining room and bar were not in use and we had to eat in a room downstairs next to the kitchen. We were told the bar would not be open until April, but looking at I don't think it would be April this year. There is nothing in the area for food and entertainment, as this "Hotel" is in a residential area with a very high immigrant population. I most certainly would not recommend this "Hotel" to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

THE WORST HOTEL I SEEN IN MY LIFE! I stayed here for 4 nights with my girlfriend for her birthday. I bought a deal for the hotel with bed and breakfast, when I went for breakfast they charged us €5 each so I paid for it twice in the end. The room was tiny with two single beds together no kettle bedside tables nothing. Bathroom was average the shower door was broken so the tiled floor was a death trap! The walls where in dyer need of a paint. The radiator was broken and the staff where so rude! The best part about the hotel was checking out never go again ruined our holiday!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed at The Nieuw Slotania Hotel Amsterdam 14th March 2014 for 2 nites.
OMG! The bar was derelict and so was the restaurant, it was filthy, cups left in the reception area with left over coffee which had been there since Friday and still there Sunday. Floors not cleaned stairs filthy and then on to the room?????? The room doors were approx 3 ft away from the opposite rooms so no privacy whatsoever, on entering the room the door hits the bed so you need to climb over it, carpet filthy and stained, bed was DISGUSTING the mattress and base needed to be thrown in skip, however, sheets were clean.
I ended up shouting at the younger generation as the noise from them running up and down the corridor at all hours of the morning was horrific! Two nites felt like a month! There is no where to get a coffee in the hotel, no kettle etc, best thing was the bathroom we should have slept in there!
We both went home bites which I imagine came from the filthy bed.The walls in the room were covered with graffiti, and now moving on to Breakfast.....in the cellar????? Again absolutely terrible,I decided on toast and jam and then changed my mind when I saw the state of the dish of jam and it was the same next day!
The hotel is next to shops on a main road and is NOT a hotel but it is a HOSTEL, our experience there and advice to others is DO NOT BOOK unless you dont mind filth and are an INSOMNIAC, however I would say for cheapness try The Botel lovely and you get free ferry from there 5 mins, over to centre of Amsterdam and also reknown Red Light District, great bars etc.
Hotel Slotania is 20 mins to center by tram and trams finish at midnite, taxis expensive.
Dont go there save your money better to sleep in park!

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The rooms were tidy and clean, if a bit cramped; we had no problems with the staff; and there was a decent range of breakfast foods. Location-wise, it's not near the centre and too far away to walk, but we knew that when we booked and had already looked up bus, train, and tram routes.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We arrived here in February 2014 not knowing what to expect because of the mixed reviews that we read. We arrived, and the guy on the reception was friendly enough, gave us our keys and we headed up to our rooms. We were a group of 4 friends, and had booked 2 double rooms with breakfast included. Bedrooms were lovely, clean and tidy, modern bathroom, very comfy bed. We were all so happy with our choice, especially at the price we paid and how often the transport links were into the city centre. We unpacked our belongings, and went out for the day. 20 minutes by bus or tram into the centre was not bad at all! HOWEVER we arrived back to the hotel at night to find our hotel room bathroom was completely flooded. There was so much water it covered the entire floor and was about an inch and a half deep! I checked it out to find a hole in the toilet pipe so I ran down to inform a staff member, a different guy this one was (think he's only on night shifts). I complained but was nice and polite enough as they might of not even noticed the faulty bathroom. The man I spoke to laughed as was acting like I was making a big deal out of nothing. I think it's because we were all only 19 and he didn't want to take me seriously. He came up when I asked him to and when he looked at it he didn't even apologise. He said he was going to sort it out, but instead he came up with towels and told me I'd just have to keep cleaning it up. I couldn't believe it!!! He insisted it wasn't that bad but it was a complete mess, if we had left the room for more than an hour the water would have travelled into our room and ruined all our belongings. He left the room in a hurry and didn't return. We cleaned it up, and I returned downstairs and complained once again, I told him we weren't prepared to stay in it and requested another room. He then didn't even bother looking and said to us 'We probably don't have anymore so there's nothing I can do, you will have to put up with it for tonight sorry' Angry of course, I then asked him to check for us. He continued to sigh and he barely made any effort to fix it. We finally got another room after a big fuss and THANKFULLY this one was better than the previous one. On top of this awful experience the breakfast was shockingly bad, hardly anything to chose from and all of the breads and muffins were dry as anything, they definitely hadn't been looked after. It's such a shame that the staff ruined our experience of this hotel, the location and price was perfect, and the inside including the rooms were absolutely lovely. If the staff members weren't so rude, inconsiderate, and just plain lazy then maybe I'd think about returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Nieuw Slotania Hotel? Share your experiences!