“DISGUSTING SERVICE AND HOTEL” 1 of 5 stars

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Slotermeerlaan 133, 1063 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #290 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
York, United Kingdom
“DISGUSTING SERVICE AND HOTEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

THE WORST HOTEL I SEEN IN MY LIFE! I stayed here for 4 nights with my girlfriend for her birthday. I bought a deal for the hotel with bed and breakfast, when I went for breakfast they charged us €5 each so I paid for it twice in the end. The room was tiny with two single beds together no kettle bedside tables nothing. Bathroom was average the shower door was broken so the tiled floor was a death trap! The walls where in dyer need of a paint. The radiator was broken and the staff where so rude! The best part about the hotel was checking out never go again ruined our holiday!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed at The Nieuw Slotania Hotel Amsterdam 14th March 2014 for 2 nites.
OMG! The bar was derelict and so was the restaurant, it was filthy, cups left in the reception area with left over coffee which had been there since Friday and still there Sunday. Floors not cleaned stairs filthy and then on to the room?????? The room doors were approx 3 ft away from the opposite rooms so no privacy whatsoever, on entering the room the door hits the bed so you need to climb over it, carpet filthy and stained, bed was DISGUSTING the mattress and base needed to be thrown in skip, however, sheets were clean.
I ended up shouting at the younger generation as the noise from them running up and down the corridor at all hours of the morning was horrific! Two nites felt like a month! There is no where to get a coffee in the hotel, no kettle etc, best thing was the bathroom we should have slept in there!
We both went home bites which I imagine came from the filthy bed.The walls in the room were covered with graffiti, and now moving on to Breakfast.....in the cellar????? Again absolutely terrible,I decided on toast and jam and then changed my mind when I saw the state of the dish of jam and it was the same next day!
The hotel is next to shops on a main road and is NOT a hotel but it is a HOSTEL, our experience there and advice to others is DO NOT BOOK unless you dont mind filth and are an INSOMNIAC, however I would say for cheapness try The Botel lovely and you get free ferry from there 5 mins, over to centre of Amsterdam and also reknown Red Light District, great bars etc.
Hotel Slotania is 20 mins to center by tram and trams finish at midnite, taxis expensive.
Dont go there save your money better to sleep in park!

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The rooms were tidy and clean, if a bit cramped; we had no problems with the staff; and there was a decent range of breakfast foods. Location-wise, it's not near the centre and too far away to walk, but we knew that when we booked and had already looked up bus, train, and tram routes.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We arrived here in February 2014 not knowing what to expect because of the mixed reviews that we read. We arrived, and the guy on the reception was friendly enough, gave us our keys and we headed up to our rooms. We were a group of 4 friends, and had booked 2 double rooms with breakfast included. Bedrooms were lovely, clean and tidy, modern bathroom, very comfy bed. We were all so happy with our choice, especially at the price we paid and how often the transport links were into the city centre. We unpacked our belongings, and went out for the day. 20 minutes by bus or tram into the centre was not bad at all! HOWEVER we arrived back to the hotel at night to find our hotel room bathroom was completely flooded. There was so much water it covered the entire floor and was about an inch and a half deep! I checked it out to find a hole in the toilet pipe so I ran down to inform a staff member, a different guy this one was (think he's only on night shifts). I complained but was nice and polite enough as they might of not even noticed the faulty bathroom. The man I spoke to laughed as was acting like I was making a big deal out of nothing. I think it's because we were all only 19 and he didn't want to take me seriously. He came up when I asked him to and when he looked at it he didn't even apologise. He said he was going to sort it out, but instead he came up with towels and told me I'd just have to keep cleaning it up. I couldn't believe it!!! He insisted it wasn't that bad but it was a complete mess, if we had left the room for more than an hour the water would have travelled into our room and ruined all our belongings. He left the room in a hurry and didn't return. We cleaned it up, and I returned downstairs and complained once again, I told him we weren't prepared to stay in it and requested another room. He then didn't even bother looking and said to us 'We probably don't have anymore so there's nothing I can do, you will have to put up with it for tonight sorry' Angry of course, I then asked him to check for us. He continued to sigh and he barely made any effort to fix it. We finally got another room after a big fuss and THANKFULLY this one was better than the previous one. On top of this awful experience the breakfast was shockingly bad, hardly anything to chose from and all of the breads and muffins were dry as anything, they definitely hadn't been looked after. It's such a shame that the staff ruined our experience of this hotel, the location and price was perfect, and the inside including the rooms were absolutely lovely. If the staff members weren't so rude, inconsiderate, and just plain lazy then maybe I'd think about returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Good points
- Rooms and hallways were kept clean.
Bad points
- extremely bad location for tourists. Involves a lengthy tram journey to the city centre (not possible to walk). Hotel is situated council estates which gave the impression of being rough and unsafe. It would not be suitable to walk at night and definitely not a place for children and families.
- Rooms are very small, although advertising pictures give a very different impression.
- Staff were very relaxed to the point of being unprofessional.
- Groups of young people hanging around in the lobby and outside in the doors which was not welcoming.
- Although we were told no smoking, at first entry to our room there was an extremely strong smell of cannabis.
- Wifi does not work in the rooms although this is advertised, you have to use it in the lobby.
- We had originally booked 4 nights, stayed one night then left due to the location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Travelled with 11 others on someone's birthday. We got put in the downstairs rooms situated behind reception. Perhaps as this allowed us to make some noise and not get on others nerves!

Quite out of Amsterdam. Tram right outside so is easy to get to but it can drag getting there.

Bedding, Towels all clean and provided. Heater in the room also was a benefit as the window was quite temperamental.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Me and my fiancé stayed her for 3 nights. On arrival looked nice smelt a bit funny, checked in went up to room to find a lad and girl naked in bed together!!! Went to complain he apologised and gave us another room to then go in to find all of someone's belongings in the room. Had to go down to complain again to finally get the right room! I was very disappointment and made me carry all my personal stuff with me or hide them in the room all holiday as I was scared incase someone would come into our room and take our stuff as it was that easy! I felt like moving hotel straight away! Rooms small but clean bathroom lovely and new. There was work men upgrading some of the rooms so loud through the day. It's a good 20mins on tram to town but easy to get too I would definitely stay in town next time. The area seems run down and rough a lot of men on the streets of a night but didn't bother us. Breakfast in hotel is nice only had it one morning. We stayed here Wednesday - Saturday. So was quite through the week but as soon as Friday night came was woken up all night by loud people in corridors so glad was going home next day!! It's a hostel not a hotel and the rooms aren't as nice as they appear on the website don't be fooled like us!! Amsterdam square itself is lovely and we done 4 of the tours available which were fab would recommend them just not the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Nieuw Slotania Hotel? Share your experiences!