“Distant from City Center but Average Otherwise” 3 of 5 stars

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Slotermeerlaan 133, 1063 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #296 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Arlington, Virginia
“Distant from City Center but Average Otherwise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Aside from being a little far from the center of Amsterdam (which wasn't that big of a deal seeing that there was public transportation easily accessible), it was average in every other way. The rooms were small but each room got their own bathroom and shower, which was a nice change of pace. The bar attached to the hotel was a nice hang out spot for me and my new friends. Of course everyone wonders about wifi nowadays, and wifi was available in the lobby and VERY scarcely in the rooms. Overall, you get what you paid for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

It wasn't as bad as what I thought.. Our room was nice.. There is a market across the road from the hostel, supermarket and other shops. Room was clean and people we sort of friendly.. Not always but we only used the hostel to sleep in and keep our things.. We didn't spend much time there.

Yes you have to get the bus to central but it's not rocket science.. If you stay here definitely get a 72hr GVB bus and tram pass from the tourist place in town.

• Stayed October 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I booked the hotel and then looked at trip advisor reviews.....Disaster! so let me share with you my take on the Hotel. The Hotel is about 10k from city centre with great transport links from outside all well explained by the staff. Rooms are 2 star at best and the décor is tired and rundown BUT they are clean, plenty of towels, good showers, comfy beds, Self service Breakfast with freshly baked croissants and a TV that works better than some of the 4 star place I've been to. The reception staff were helpful to me and always attentive.
It is cheap to stay here and you get what you pay for (how much time are you in the hotel?). Its the sort of hotel that back packers and students flock to and there was some noise late into the night as people arrive back. The hotels length is over shops/bars/restaurants and I was listening to the Turkish top 10 at about 3.00 one morning but it was the rain that woke me up and the music was faint but audible. In summary, If I was in my 20's and a backpacker or student I would go there but as I'm older I won't be going back. I need a bit more of a comfortable environment and like my breakfast served if you know what I mean but you get what you pay for so the choice is yours

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having booked the trip and only checked Trip Advisor afterwards we were expecting the worse. We were very pleasantly surprised, the young man in Reception was friendly, polite and efficient, the room was clean and the bed was clean and comfortable. The buffet style continental breakfast was well stocked. The hotel was full of young people so it was a little noisy, because young people are!
The location is excellent, we got the 69 bus from the airport and walked the last 5 minutes to the hotel on a straight well lit road. The return bus stop is directly outside the hotel. trams to the centre of Amsterdam run every 10 minutes or so. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I think the hotel was OK, it was clean, easy toi move for all the city, the people is frendly, shots are cheap, breakfast really good, I can´t complain!! I tried Shared rooms and private and both are good, some beds are uncomfortable, but must of them are in good conditions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the reception, for some rooms you must walk like 10 min to arrive, believe me...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

If you're like me and snotty little desk girls acting nonchalant and smug boils your blood then please heed my advice, and stay right away from here! Seriously, the indignant , classless attitude from the desk staff is enough to spoil your holiday so I recommend anywhere else just to avoid dealing with it. The location is not convenient if you want to spend a lot of time in the city centre, the "storage room" where you can leave your valuables is a "trashed" of sorts computer room with luggage strewn all over the place, and anyone can ask for a key and leave with anything the wish, a smorgasbord for luggage thieves a sign on the door stating "we take no responsibility for your bags" basically obviates their need to put a modicum of effort into your valuables safety , that sign basically sums up the general sentiment of the place right there. They really couldn't give a toss, and it shows in every facet of the place. The place is unclean, 3 computers stand in a communal area, each replete with errors and viruses which basically renders them unusable, out of order vending machines match well with the staff, who could have the same message stamped on their foreheads. In summary , don't go there, ever.....I can't be more terse than that....! There are many more friendly, livelier dives than this closer to the centre to bother with this one,

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Firstly it is adamant to express how poor the service at the front desk was; as soon as we arrived we were told our room was not ready yet, this was at 4pm, and the receptionist was incredibly unwelcoming, making me and my partner feel as though we were persistently nagging although our room was not ready 3 hours after check in, and all of this came when we had limited time to actually see the city as we only stayed for a night. The receptionist continued to treat us as though she was doing us a favour and that we were being a pain by asking every half an hour if it was ready yet. As for the hotel itself, the room was pleasant and had all the basic amenities we required, as well as a functional shower which came to be a luxury over our inter railing trip. However the whole trip was overshadowed by the receptionists incredible rudeness which really rubbed me up the wrong way for the rest of our stay. I heavily suggest the hotel management really look into their staff, after all we were paying a fair amount of money for a 'hotel' 30 minutes out from the city centre. We were not made to feel as though the staff wanted your approval but as though you were more money coming in. I will not be staying here again and will be warning my friends and family not to either

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nieuw Slotania Hotel? Share your experiences!