“Avoid this hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #279 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Avoid this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

For: good location near the Munt and on the Amstel, nice views, one nice reception man.
Against: narrow, very steep stairs, worn out decor, 5% extra on bill not advertised on website, twin bed request not honoured and an unsavoury exchange ensued; female non-Dutch 'manager' had an appalling attitude, very unfriendly and unhelpful, room very small, safe broken, average breakfast with day-glo unnatural orange juice. The horrid female 'manager' with such a nasty customer service attitude means we can never recommend this hotel and will never go back there. This is not the normal Dutch welcome we are used to, but she was not a native; she is a very poor ambassador for Holland and damages the image.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest ,
first of all we apologies for any inconvince with our receptionist.
we have checked the matter and according to receptionist there were some argument from your side as well, which was not acceptabel. but we still apologies for any trouble.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Anything that could be good in this hotel has been erased by a little visitor that came to us in the morning: a rat. Could be one or several, and it could be in the night among our clothes. Can you imagine?!

We asked to change the room, but the new room have no window! Asked again, and now we got a nice room, with window, but veeery small. This is not a problem if it is clean.

The stairs are STEEP. be careful while carrying the luggage.

They allowed us to leave the baggage during some hours in our last day.

There is a gay bar below the hotel. This was not in the hotel descriptions in booking.com. It is OK for me but for someone else may not be...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Prato, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This narrow townhouse converted into a hotel certainly evokes Amsterdam's maritime history. From the landing window there's a fine view of the Amstel river with various craft passing by the lock gates. The staircases are steep and narrow enough to resemble the between-decks stairs on a Dutch Golden Age sailing vessel. The rooms are small enough to suggest ships' cabins. The young and able staff willingly haul guests' suitcases up to the rooms and perform the not inconsiderable feat of delivering breakfast trays without spilling anything on the sheer three-flight journey up. As for sleeping, the rear rooms are potentially quiet, but back on to the Escape nightclub. This means that they are only actually quiet on the nights when there's no disco there. But the soundproofing (the nightclub's, not the hotel's) is very effective, and all one hears is a muffled rhythmic thud such as that produced by a ship’s hull swell thumping repeatedly against the swell. Practically the only thing missing from what one would expect from a sailing ship cabin is the ship's cat – which is a pity, as having a cat around would considerably reduce the most disturbing aspect of night life in the Monopole (need I say more?).
The hotel's location is rather good, being central yet safely beyond the raucous red-light district. It would improve its reputation if the management reflected on how not to create the impression of being mean (the credit-card charge, not always made fully explicit on booking sites; our friend was sold a room-with-bath only to find the bathroom was shared and across the passageway; for teamaking facilities in our double room , only a single cup was provided). This hotel is not all bad. But for what it offers, it is overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Pros: Comfortable bed, location, WiFi

Cons: Security, size of room (shared bathroom), noise from housekeeping and other guests, credit card 5% charge, breakfast, value (approximately 150US dollars per night for the single room)

The biggest issue with this hotel is the security. I had to default to a single room due to few choices in the city on this weekend. Upon check-in they would accept credit cards but only with a 5% fee which was not explained on the hotels.com website. For three nights this added quite a bit to the bill.

I asked about a room safe and he said yes there was one but he didn't know how to work it. As it turns out the safe is broken hence the reason he said that. After numerous tries I went down and said that I couldn't just leave my thousands of dollars of electronics in the room. This was reinforced when it came to the window which I will write about in a moment.

So he came and acted like he was trying to open it but instead he had the master key. He put it in and it worked. He said that he would have to keep the key because it opens all safes in the hotel. I said that I wouldn't go to the front desk everytime I need to get in to get my Ipad, Iphone, money, etc.. He relented and gave me the key. Now I assume that the key did NOT open the safes in all of the rooms otherwise he wouldn't have given me the key.

Then it came to the window. I noticed it cracked open so I went to shut it. It wouldn't shut. Instead it was broken and it led onto a roof where obviously people can, and do, walk on based on the garbage there. I brought it up to the guy and he acted as if this just happened. Then the next day I brought this up to the manager. Same thing, he said he didn't know but that he would call someone but it was the weekend. Nothing happened and the reason is that it has been like that "forever". The second day I went to turn on the TV and realized there was no remote. The housekeeping guy came in and couldn't find one and he asked why I didn't report it the first day. I said I was more concerned about the window and he said "that has been like that forever".

All the while the room floor boards were literally hot. This meant the room was steaming hot and since the window opened onto a roof I couldn't open the window past the initial opening.

Then came the mornings. I was on the first floor so there was running up and down constantly as they delivered "breakfast" to each room from 8:30am-10am. This was occurring while housekeeping kept slamming the linen closet located literally outside my room (see picture).

At night, due to being on the first floor, the loud guests would wake me throughout the night as they passed my room.

The WiFi was strong and available in the room as well as public spaces.

The room size was the smallest I have ever been in anywhere in the world. There is barely room to open the door. The bathroom is in the hall and was clean.

Upon check-out I mentioned that the window needs fixed and another manager said they "weren't aware of the problem". I said I was told it has been like this "forever" and she said she never heard of the problem. See the pictures and decide for yourself.

Breakfast was miserable. See pic. Same every day.

All of this for approximately 150US per night.

The only reason for the 2 stars instead of 1 is the incredibly comfortable bed.

Stay away from room 5 (single room)

Room Tip: Do not allowed to be put in room 5
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in late June 2014, we found the place to be very small and untidy. When we first got there, we were confronted with a steep stair case. We had to carried our luggages up the stair to the receiption. When checked in, we were told to pay extra charges for tourise tax. We never hear anything thing like that. So we refused to pay. Then we were told they do not guarantee a double bed, they do not have proper double beds anyway.......they just have two single beds put together.....this I think was a misadvertising. We were put to a room upstair where the window facing the roof of nextdoor building. When you have the window, you can see the workers working on the roof. During the night, when you have the window opened, the small of drugs from the streets and the noise of music from the night club. The room is so tiny you could not move without climbing over the bed. The bathroom and the toilet are so small you couldnot turn without scratching yourselves. Outside the receiption you could see mousetrap left on the floor. There is not enough coffee or teabags for you to make a second cup of coffee or tea. If you think this is the type of hotel you are look for, be my guest.......... As for me, I wont recommend anyone

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for the weekend, thought I was in a set from trainspotting. Got Home and they took £300 out of my account for no reason. I tried to get it back but they basically said because I gave them my bank details they could do what they liked. It's people like this that make folk nervous about giving out details.

• Stayed August 2013
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear sir,
we would like to inform you that when you make booking please check all details conditions on website of Hotel and the reservation company which you use to make reservation. we have charged according to conditions.
Praha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

After the search, we chose this hotel for a relatively good price and good location and really disappointed us. After we arrived, we found ourselves in the center of town, where we were given a short time everywhere: the main square, shops, attractions, etc.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and we stayed in a nice studio right next to the reception. The studio was cozy, clean and quite comfortable with a view of the street, the bathroom was clean. The morning receptionist brought us breakfast in the room, does every morning was the same, but it was not that bad. Hotel had free wifi and quite good.
I do not see any negatives to the narrow staircase from the entrance to the reception, but it's probably normal in Amsterdam. I recommend this hotel for undemanding people ...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
george-alliance, Eigenaar at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
we thank you for your good experince with us . We like your one point in your comment and that is .. that people should know what type of hotel and prices they are going to book. Expectation should be on same level as Hotel prices. People does not want to pay even reasnoble price but need all facilities.

Been to Hotel Monopole? Share your experiences!