“Good Stay in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #170 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Wollongong, Australia
“Good Stay in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Van Onna for 3 nights. Hotel Van Onna is a modest hotel along a canal in Amsterdam. Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly owner and directed to our room, which was on the top (4th) floor of the main building.

The room was beautiful with views in almost all directions, however it was fortunate that we are both fairly athletic as there is no lift and the stairs get steeper as you get higher up. This hotel has no pretension or illusions of granduer, it is a simple place providing clean lodging - our room had private facilities and we found it great value at a total of EUR90 per night (EUR45 per person per night, cash only).

The hotel is easy to access from Schiphol by taking the train to Centraal and then changing to tram 13 or 17 to Westrmarkt and then taking a short walk. It is located in a quiet, inner city residential area, and is a short walk to Dam Square. In the area are several bars, restaurants and 'coffee shops'.

A simple breakfast is included each day in a dining room, but no other meals are available.

Summary - highly recommended for a simple stay in Amsterdam. If less able bodied or not comfortable with stairs, I suggest requesting a room on a low floor when booking. I booked via the hotel's online form and the hotel replied overnight.

• Liked — Super clean, beautiful location on canal
  • Disliked — Payment by cash only, no cards accepted
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

Only hotel in a decent price range when I booked due to large festival in Amsterdam. Small but clean room with bathroom down the hall. Great location, easy to get to by tram from train station. Very close to Anne Frank Museum, in pleasant quiet neighborhood. Great breakfast included in price. Excellent value for the price. I would stay again any day.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — lack of services
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

The Hotel can Onna is a very basic hotel. I went with my wife recently and got given a twin bed, in a small room with a bathroom.

Location:
The hotel is on a street with the canal passing by the front, and is quiet. There is a few bars and restaurants nearby within 2-3 minutes walk. Anne Frank museum is at the end of the street (across other side of canal) and can be reached within 5 mins walk. Tram stop that goes to and from Amsterdam Central station is 5 mins walk (near Anne Frank Museum).

Accomodation:
Basic room, twin bed, bathroom that gets quite wet when having shower (as there's no real catchment basin) so you need to use this broom (like a windows wiper) in the bathroom to clean it up. The mattress, pillow and town is a little uncomfortable (well, it is basic). There is also not TV, or radio, so you will need to find something to keep yourself busy at night.

Service:
Service is good, and easy, the people who work there are nice also. Breakfast is very simple, choice of coffee or tea, with bread, cheese, ham, jam, chocolate sprinkles, butter, boiled egg. If you don't like this stuff or you're there for more than 2 days, you'll get sick of it.

Overall, a nice place, very basic, but clean, good location, close to public transport, quiet area.

Stayed April 2008
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

My husband and I have been to Amsterdam many times and this is the first and very last time at the Hotel van Onna. From now on I promise faithfully that never again will I ignore the majority review of any hotel on Trip Advisor. Lots of reviewers said Basic and I can only ask myself what part of Basic did I not understand? Maybe 90euros per night made me think it couldn't be that basic. Oh yes it could. Tiny room, ripped top-sheet on the bed, one rock-hard pillow each, tiny and dangerous wet-shower bathroom (no absorbent mats at all), one towel each - so thin you could spit peas through them and a very long time since they could remember their original colour of white. Our room was on the third floor and no lift. Why, oh why did the owners invest so much time, money and effort into the total gutting and rebuilding of the three properties into one and not taking the opportunity to install a lift? It seemed to me that all the younger people had rooms on the lower floors. My husband and I are no spring chickens and the most exhausting part of all this stair climbing was after breakfast when it meant climbing four floors. Phew. Maybe we should have gone without our post-breakfast teeth cleaning expedition. As for the breakfast.......by the third morning I couldn't think of any more ways to eat bread, cheese and chocolate sprinkles. In all my many years of staying in hotels worldwide, I don't think I've ever before experienced being given what I'm to eat rather than being able to chose for myself and exactly the same every single day. So, if you want a continental breakfast which includes choices or even the chance of some juice to start your day, then don't expect that from this particular hotel. Lastly, another first; when paying the bill, the Hotel van Onna only accepts cash - no cards, no cheques and your reward for being compliant with their rules, you get no receipt! The one thing I will say in their favour - the whole hotel did appear to be very clean.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too basic
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel van Onna for one night in March 2008 and was quite pleased with my stay. This is definitely a budget hotel, but it is a clean, pleasant one, which sets it apart from many other budget places to stay.

My flight landed in Amsterdam at 7am and I took the train into Amsterdam’s central station. From there is an easy 15 minute walk to the hotel. (One tip: if you’re only going to be in Amsterdam for a night or two and have a lot of luggage, put your bag in a luggage locker at the airport (6 Euro per day) and just take a small bag into Amsterdam. This is what I did and it was great.) The Jordaan district, where the hotel is located, is really lovely with nice shops, pubs, restaurants and is central but quiet.

After a leisurely stroll through Jordaan, I got to the hotel around 9am. Luckily my room had already been vacated and I only had to wait about 20 minutes for them to clean it. They gave me the option of dropping my bag in the room and heading out or having a cup of tea while I waited for them to clean. I waited and my room was available within the 20 minutes they had promised.

When I got to my room it was basically as I expected based on the reviews I had read on this site. It was a small clean room with a tiny closet, a fairly comfy chair, two small tables and a bed. It is spartan and basic but I didn’t need anything else. The best feature is a clean, private bathroom. (Trust me, you don’t want to share a bathroom in a budget hotel in Amsterdam.) The worst part of the room is that the bed was not very comfortable – it was basically a cot with a mediocre mattress.

The breakfast is fine – a few slices of bread, hardboiled egg, slice of cheese and ham and tea or coffee. Service is pleasant and quick.

Overall, this hotel is a good deal for a single traveler. I don’t think you could find anything better for 45 Euro a night in such a great neighborhood. They charge 45 Euro per person regardless of how many people share the room (i.e. 90 for a double and 135 for a triple). People looking for a double or triple might be able to do better at some other hotels. For someone traveling alone this was a great budget find and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kosmos Tours
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

Without doubt, the Van Onna is one of the best kept lodging secrets in Amsterdam. My wife and I stayed there during our honeymoon 25 years ago, I've stayed there twice since then, and my son and I are returning this summer, my wife and I likely in the winter. It's clean, quiet, charming, and the folks who work there are wonderful. Mr. Van Onna is a treasure in and of himself. It's true that the rooms are bare-bones, but it's always looked great behind my eyelids and my pocketbook feels wonderful when I leave. The neighborhood (for that's exactly what it is) is safe, welcoming, and conveniently located. The breakfast is simply a delight. I miss it while I'm writing this. When you consider that it's included in the price of the room (as opposed to the 15 euro charged by others), the value is clear. As for convenience of location... Well, it's exceptionally convenient to central Amsterdam, Central Station and all that goes with that area. Otherwise, quite frankly, Amsterdam is such a small and convenient city that if you can't get around easily, the location of the hotel isn't the problem. If you're looking for luxury and someone to be your handservant, this isn't the place. If you're looking for the best budget deal in the city, I'll see you there soon. Try not tell anyone else, though.

Stayed July 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I wasn't expecting much after reading the previous reviews and that's exactly what I got. This seems to be a family-run operation and they're pretty friendly, but the rooms are really only a scant step up from a hostel. Definitely bring your own soap and shower shoes because the floors are pretty icky in the bathroom. Elbow pads would be a plus, too, since there is little room to take a shower. The floor tended to flood after a shower and the constant leak in the sink didn't help with that, so prepare yourself if that's important to you. It wasn't to us, as we spent as little time as possible in the hotel anyway.

Still, I'd recommend it if you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Amsterdam but don't want to stay in a hostel. There's no phone or tv, but it's in a great location and serves a quaint breakfast, complete with coffee/tea, ham, cheese, 3 different breads, a hard-boiled egg, jam, butter, and chocolate sprinkles (slag). I'm a vegetarian, so they were able to give me more cheese--they're pretty flexible and whichever brother is the one who does the breakfasts, he's really the nicest guy there. The one checking us in had really bloodshot eyes in the middle of the day and kept getting confused...and that's all I'll say about that.

All in all, not too shabby but it could never charge that rate in a different city. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a cheap place to crash and store your stuff while you explore Amsterdam.

• Liked — Breakfast.
  • Disliked — Bare bones everything.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel van Onna? Share your experiences!